soaring crane

Damanhur - alterntive community in Italy

Nice place to vist. Would you want to live there?

http://www.damanhur.org/en

Nestled in the alpine foothills north of Piedmont, Italy, between Turin and Aosta, is a truly magical place on earth called Damanhur. In a 15-kilometer area surrounding the lush, green valley of Valchiusella lives a very active, multilingual community of 600 people.

Damanhur is a resilient Federation with its own Constitution, culture, art, music, currency, schools and uses of science and technology. Its citizens are open to sharing their knowledge and research with other groups and cultures of the world, with anyone who is interested in exploring these themes. Damanhur holds events at numerous centers, organizations and points of outreach in many cities around the world, and also hosts thousands of visitors each year who participate in tours, seminars, retreats and courses through Damanhur University. The community has attracted interest from scholars, educators and researchers in the fields of art, social sciences, spirituality, medicine and alternative health, economics and environmental sustainability.

• Like 1

QUITE attractive! wouldn't that be great?

Hop on a plane :-)

I just watched a documentary about them. That's why I looked them up on the internet. Anyone can join, anytime. But no smoking.

Yowza..  no short cuts to finding paradise. 

still, for all the negative writing there, it might still be a good environment for some.  Hopefully there are places that get 'it' right. 

I think I Michael McAllister of Infinitesmile.org (great podcast) gave a talk about how there's often a stage where you hate your guru and/or system.  Somewhere in the maturation process, after falling in love, after obsession, the stage happens.. disillusionment.. and that has its place to set up going deeper. 

Edited by thelerner

So ... I had a peek at that site ....  whaaaat ? !  

Damanhur, although it presents itself as an eco-society is in fact an esoteric community based on a strong initiate hierarchy headed by its unquestioned and charismatic leader Oberto Airaudi ."

oraclebanner.jpg

Edited by Nungali

Getting juicer 

" Damanhur has illegally constructed an underground temple currently known as the Temples of Humankind, which is used as a means to promote its public image. Damanhur’s tourist office organizes guided visits to the Temple at a cost of between 35 – 100 euro per person. "

free tour ;  https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Damanhur+temple&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=577&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nLNnVdP3MsHYmgXAxIGICQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=_

better read this before you go there 

https://damanhurinsideout.wordpress.com/damanhur-a-brief-overview/frequently-asked-questions/

Edited by Nungali

Yeah, a lot of that was in the documentary, too, but it does seem to get crazier the you look into it and I guess it does boil down to a sect in the end, oh well. They also talked to residents and the mayor of the real town, and the only one's who had any grievance were the very strict catholics.