Sign in to follow this  
amoyaan

Is music best listened to at 432 hz?

Is anyone familiar with the theory that music is best tuned to the pitch of 432 hz rather than the standard 440 hz? Some people claim the pitch change was instigated by the Nazis to negatively affect the listener, but I haven't found evidence to support this. But there does seem to be evidence to suggest that music tuned to 432 hz has a more beneficial effect on the human mind/body.

If you compare the same piece of music at 432 hz and its original 440, the change is very noticeable. At 432 hz music sounds much softer, smoother, not nearly as sharp or intense, but more relaxing and tranquil. You can download 432 hz music players on your smartphone.

I'm curious to hear your opinions on this!

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

"Most music worldwide has been tuned to A=440 Hz since the International Standards Organization (ISO) promoted it in 1953. However, when looking at the vibratory nature of the universe, it’s possible that this pitch is disharmonious with the natural resonance of nature and may generate negative effects on human behaviour and consciousness.

432 Hz is said to be mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe. It is said that 432 Hz vibrates with the universe’s golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness. When our atoms and DNA start to resonate in harmony with the spiraling pattern of nature, our sense of connection to nature is said to be magnified. The number 432 is also reflected in ratios of the Sun, Earth, and the moon as well as the precession of the equinoxes, the Great Pyramid of Egypt, Stonehenge, the Sri Yantra among many other sacred sites."

• Like 2

This could be interesting to those who understand it.

Remember, when you shift from 440 to 432 you have increased the bass (lower) frequencies and decreased the treble (higher) frequencies. 

I'm sure it could be demonstrated that lower frequencies would reduce tensions whereas higher would increase them.

However, for someone like myself who is high frequency hearing impaired, reducing from 440 to 432 would decrease the quality of what my hearing detects to a point where it wouldn't even be worth listening to.

The history of pitch and tuning to A=440

https://www.piano-tuners.org/history/pitch.html

Tuning A to 432 is less than a 1/4 tone, it would be perceived as a bit flatter but would probably not significantly increase overall frequency response within a given piece. Tension in music is usually created with harmony (multiple notes), tempo, and tone (think of the Psycho theme). 

Not sure how you could relate the overall tuning of music to beneficial results. Everyone's body is different, everyone's hearing mechanism is skewed based on the size and shape of their head, and ears, and everyone's environment is different. 

If we're basing the benefits on resonant frequency, than everyone's body, and organ size is unique, therefore the most beneficial tuning would be completely unique to their system. 

• Like 3

The number 432 is also reflected in ratios of the Sun, Earth, and the moon as well as the precession of the equinoxes, the Great Pyramid of Egypt, Stonehenge, the Sri Yantra among many other sacred sites."

I've come across this kind of claim often, in connection with my gong/singing bowl work and the kind of people I tend to attract with it. I've never seen any credible evidence or heard an argument that would convince me to believe any of it.

• Like 1

I was packing organic produce with the MExicans and Chinese.

I debunked 432 and actually I debunked the concept of frequency itself.

People gotta unlearn more.

http://thedaobums.com/topic/34690-the-devils-interval-and-the-pre-established-disharmony-of-western-science-the-secrets-of-inner-sound-alchemy-spiritual-paranormal-energy-explained/

that's the thread - gives the link to my article debunking 432 and giving the answer to it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments! I never believe anything I read now, although I always keep an open mind unless it's quite obviously whack. I wasn't sure what to make of the 432 hz theory...I can't really comment as I'm not a scientist and haven't done research or much reading in this field. Certainly, ambient music especially sounds better to me at a lower tuning...calmer, warmer, more tranquil. However more upbeat music loses its punch a bit. Tried listening to Cocteau Twins at 432 and it's not as great I don't think.

Innersoundqigong thank you for the link. It's a pretty epic article you wrote on your blog...at first glance my initial impression was - this guy is either a genius or a madman haha ;) It's not something I can skim through to be sure...I will sit down and consider it when I get some time. You certainly seem to know your stuff which makes me most curious.  

• Like 1

If you try to pitch existing music down to 432Hz it won't sound good in general. Pitching music will screw up the overtone series of the sound making it unnatural and likely more dissonant.

Thanks for the comments! I never believe anything I read now, although I always keep an open mind unless it's quite obviously whack. I wasn't sure what to make of the 432 hz theory...I can't really comment as I'm not a scientist and haven't done research or much reading in this field. Certainly, ambient music especially sounds better to me at a lower tuning...calmer, warmer, more tranquil. However more upbeat music loses its punch a bit. Tried listening to Cocteau Twins at 432 and it's not as great I don't think.

Innersoundqigong thank you for the link. It's a pretty epic article you wrote on your blog...at first glance my initial impression was - this guy is either a genius or a madman haha ;) It's not something I can skim through to be sure...I will sit down and consider it when I get some time. You certainly seem to know your stuff which makes me most curious.  

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this