dc9

How to summon entities?

What is the best way for a beginner to learn how to summon entities? I have read books that said to simply just start believing that I can interact with the entity. Is it really that simple?

Will I see tangible proof that he/she/it exists, or is it a visualization thing where it could very well just be my imagination?

What is the best way for a beginner to learn how to summon entities?

There isnt one.

First question back to you ;  beginner in what ? 

What is the best way for a beginner to learn how to summon entities? I have read books that said to simply just start believing that I can interact with the entity. Is it really that simple?

In essence, yes. I occasionally have a casual conversation with my "spirit guide". However, depending on the task, you may wish a "grounded" contact to a spirit helper. You can achieve this by performing some symbolical act on the physical level. I would especially recommend reading Donald Tyson's Portable Magic - Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need which translates a Golden Dawn rite for evoking an elemental spirit into a method that can be done with a Tarot deck and some imagination alone.

Will I see tangible proof that he/she/it exists, or is it a visualization thing where it could very well just be my imagination?

That's sort of a difficult question because we are dealing with "psychoid space" here, where your visualizations themselves can acquire some kind of objective existence. That doesn't exclude the possibility that you are connecting to sources external to your psyche.

Even Aleister Crowley sometimes interpreted Magick as psychology. But then, what is the psyche in reality?

I just read the first sections of Liber Null which stressed that I must have very strong one pointed concentration to perform successful rituals. I am still working on that.. my concentration isn't the best. So that's what I mean by "beginner". I guess I can just rely on orgasms to achieve momentary one-pointedness .. lol its embarassing to say that. But I basically just discovered magick and I'm trying to do spells/rituals that will dispel my skepticism and make me believe that magick has real and powerful results.

Michael, thanks for that book recommendation, I will check it out. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

But you said answering my question of whether there is tangible proof is difficult. Does this mean that the spirit that you converse with can be explained away as something like an imaginary friend that children have? That it's plausible that it only exists because some part of your mind strongly believes it does?

I have read other posts on this forum of people claiming that their spirits were able to move objects and other physical acts. I have a hard time believing that, and that's why I posted this thread... I want to summon a spirit, and see for myself if something like that is possible.

I just read the first sections of Liber Null which stressed that I must have very strong one pointed concentration to perform successful rituals. I am still working on that.. my concentration isn't the best. So that's what I mean by "beginner". I guess I can just rely on orgasms to achieve momentary one-pointedness .. lol its embarassing to say that. But I basically just discovered magick and I'm trying to do spells/rituals that will dispel my skepticism and make me believe that magick has real and powerful results.

Michael, thanks for that book recommendation, I will check it out. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

You are welcome. Please keep me posted.

However, the method described in the book is designed more for evoking spirits helping you with a particular life issue, not so much moving heavy objects around (unless your problem is that a rock happens to block your house exit :D). Most of the time, that's the more useful kind of Magick anyway, ime, and the most convincing one as well, Plus it will help you to develop your Jedi powers gradually, if that's what you are after. It might take some time though. Nota bene: If you want to perform astonishing acts of Magick, practice is key.

Descriptions of crash-boom-bang evocations by advanced magicians can also be found in GD related material, especially in Aleiser Crowley's The Vision and the Voice, and some say one of them in fact resulted in AC's life-long possession by a demon. :D Remember that you are  handling potent acids here - make sure you take the necessary precautions and know what you are doing.

If you are in urgent need of "tangible evidence" of the Ghostbuster type, perhaps the best way to go about it would be cautious experimentation with a ouija board. Again, please be careful not to get more than you have bargained for. Psychological balance and resistance highly recommended.

But you said answering my question of whether there is tangible proof is difficult. Does this mean that the spirit that you converse with can be explained away as something like an imaginary friend that children have? That it's plausible that it only exists because some part of your mind strongly believes it does?

The way I look at appearances of spirits, saints, dragons, werewolves etc is that they occur on a "psychoid" level of reality where every consciousness is connected to every other much more obviously than on the physical plane. In other words, the categorizations into "internal" and "external", "subjective" and "objective" start breaking down here. Whatever you experience in this twilight zone will be partially coloured and influenced by your psyche's own conscious and subconscious contents, but that doesn't imply that it's limited to something "internal".

And how can you be so sure that there is no helpful spirit behind many a child's "imaginary friend"?

I have read other posts on this forum of people claiming that their spirits were able to move objects and other physical acts. I have a hard time believing that, and that's why I posted this thread... I want to summon a spirit, and see for myself if something like that is possible.

I appreciate your sense of adventure. Good luck, and remember that it might take some patience and practice before you will see something convincing enough to you.

• Like 2

After more reading and contemplating, I've come to the conclusion that what I seek is currently not possible for me. My beliefs are just too skeptical; my mind and heart are too closed for any entity to manifest in a strong way for me. So I will just focus on doing things to open my mind and heart. Right now, that would be putting more hours into meditation, and attempting to learn astral projection.

Tarot sounds kind of appealing because even though I've always been skeptical of fortune telling and astrology, it sounds like what your book is about isn't fortune telling, but using the cards as symbols and concepts to work magick through. If there is a logical system for the magick, perhaps that would be a way to get past my skepticism.

I don't think I've ever even been physically close to a Tarot deck before though. Completely new territory to me. Anything I should know before diving in? I'm about to just order the Crowley Thoth deck and the book you recommended. Are there any other books on Tarot I should read, based on my current background?

edit: I just ordered the Crowley Thoth deck. I read that beginners shouldn't use this deck, but the book says the deck type doesn't matter. So I hope your'e not about to say that I shouldn't have ordered that deck :P, it's a bit pricy for a bunch of cards.

Edited by dc9

After more reading and contemplating, I've come to the conclusion that what I seek is currently not possible for me. My beliefs are just too skeptical; my mind and heart are too closed for any entity to manifest in a strong way for me.

Told ya ....  in post 2.  Anyway .....

So I will just focus on doing things to open my mind and heart. Right now, that would be putting more hours into meditation, and attempting to learn astral projection.

Tarot sounds kind of appealing because even though I've always been skeptical of fortune telling and astrology, it sounds like what your book is about isn't fortune telling, but using the cards as symbols and concepts to work magick through. If there is a logical system for the magick, perhaps that would be a way to get past my skepticism.

I use tarot and astrology to great advantage and I am obviously a sceptic.    The issue could be your outlook and 'understanding' of what these things are. Prediction ?

Phoosh!  Forget that. Book of encoded wisdom ?    Yep.   Again, depending on how you look at it.   Not taking things literally might be a good start, look for symbolic representations you can relate to, then increase the field (of the symbols and what you can relate to) by study and practice.  Astrology can give you great insights into yourself as well, again, if studied right. 

The first step in all of this , and it is all really variations of that first step;

Know thyself. 

I don't think I've ever even been physically close to a Tarot deck before though. Completely new territory to me. Anything I should know before diving in? I'm about to just order the Crowley Thoth deck and the book you recommended. Are there any other books on Tarot I should read, based on my current background?

I will leave that advice to others ... Michael seems to be giving you good advice.

There is a tarot forum here if you decide to follow  that path.  

I use tarot and astrology to great advantage and I am obviously a sceptic.    The issue could be your outlook and 'understanding' of what these things are. Prediction ?

Phoosh!  Forget that. Book of encoded wisdom ?    Yep.   Again, depending on how you look at it.   Not taking things literally might be a good start, look for symbolic representations you can relate to, then increase the field (of the symbols and what you can relate to) by study and practice.  Astrology can give you great insights into yourself as well, again, if studied right. 

The first step in all of this , and it is all really variations of that first step;

Know thyself. 

The issue I have is that you can interpret any situation to fit into a prediction. So tarot predictions and astrology predictions always come true for everyone. But hopefully I'm wrong and skilled practitioners can make pinpoint accurate predictions

edit: Reading through the book, wow this is pretty complex and requires some heavy concentration and visualization that I do not currently have. I'll keep at it and try to use it as a motivation to meditate more and practice magick more.

Edited by dc9
  • Like 1

Just be aware that when people say "practice" what is really being said is that you "condition" yourself. Understand that YOU are conditioning yourself. Don't get lost in there.

The point of a reading is to delve into your unconscious/subconscious mind. You read the cards guided by the power of the unconscious. The whole point of Magick (in my opinion) is to feed of the power of the unconscious mind as it is presented into conscious being. The more you condition yourself to open up the unconscious and allow its "content" to pass into conscious being the better you become at understanding your capabilities and can therefore become less susceptible to self delusion.

By reading you are drawn towards a particular interpretation because that is a hint of what you really think. I've done reading for people before and told them what each card could mean ... they simply read what they know and find want they really want. The decision they think they should make is made clearer whether they like it or not.

People with what I would call more "spiritual" beliefs may see this as a sign from above, or may see it as an entity guiding them. I see it as a someone claiming self control. The entities I encounter are part of me, I am legion because we are many ... we are all many things, multifaceted beings.

I do not disregard the possible existence of other entities at all. I just know the difference between imaginging and knowing. Neither is silly or nonsense. They are both powerful faculties of the mind/spirit/brain/soul.

• Like 2

After more reading and contemplating, I've come to the conclusion that what I seek is currently not possible for me. My beliefs are just too skeptical; my mind and heart are too closed for any entity to manifest in a strong way for me. So I will just focus on doing things to open my mind and heart. Right now, that would be putting more hours into meditation, and attempting to learn astral projection.

I consider card reading a "passive" use of Tarot, whereas working magick (meaning the art of affecting change in accordance with will) through it is an "active" use. Both uses can be practically very helpful, ime. Most people interested in Tarot start out with the former, but nobody said that you couldn't dive into its magickal potential right from the start.

If you want to make a study of the Thoth deck, there is no way around reading Crowley's Book of Thoth - but let me warn you, it is rather heavy reading if you are lacking a solid good background in symbolism, mythology, astrology, kabbalah, numerology and a number of other topics. Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding the Thoth Tarot serves as a good introduction to the BoT.

There are too many other good books on Tarot for me to make a recommendation without knowing more about where your particular interests lie. As far as Tarot for active Magick is concerned, I know some other good books but they are treating the cards a little more intuitively, not based on such a rigorous system like Tyson's.

edit: I just ordered the Crowley Thoth deck. I read that beginners shouldn't use this deck, but the book says the deck type doesn't matter. So I hope your'e not about to say that I shouldn't have ordered that deck :P, it's a bit pricy for a bunch of cards.

Don't worry, it's well worth every penny. And forget about this deck allegedly not being suitable for beginners. I myself started with the Thoth and still use it primarily for most purposes. Some think that the scenic illustrations of the number cards in other decks make them easier for beginners to read in divination, but that is debatable, plus your primary interest is using Tarot for Ceremonial Magick anyway. The Thoth is an excellent choice for that, as it was created by an outstanding magickian and is one of the decks based on the system of the Golden Dawn that Tyson also uses in his book.

Don't think divination is my thing.. I just straight up don't believe in it. Very strong mental blocks against that kind of thing.. I'll need a lot of magickal experience to loosen up the way I view the world in order for me to clear that skepticism.

I can work with tarot cards as points of focus and symbolism. The book is pretty dense, but I'm intrigued and it looks fun and playful, so I think this will work for me. Since the system is so rigorous, it probably makes sense to just spend a couple months getting familiar with it rather than reading up on more tarot books. I'm not too confident about my ability to maintain a consistent visualization of the astral plane, but I suppose this will be good practice to honing my mind.

The book doesn't mention whether it's okay to cast spells more than once though. Is it okay to cast the same spell once every week or two weeks?

My plan is to just cast spells that have tangible results. Simple stuff, like... I don't know, a man in a yellow cap will initiate a conversation with me, or I will see a raccoon in my backyard. Just cast a bunch of these spells, keep a journal, and if I get results, my belief in the magick will strengthen.

From the materials I've read, the results should come. The books I've read say magick isn't just a psychological thing, it has a tangible effect on reality. So, I hope I'll be able to see it for myself.

Don't think divination is my thing.. I just straight up don't believe in it.

That's refreshing to hear.

Don't think divination is my thing.. I just straight up don't believe in it.

That's refreshing to hear.

I've done one real divination in my life, it was to be a single card, I asked, "is the Great Work bullsh!t." I shuffled the cards and pulled The Magician trump :ph34r:

My plan is to just cast spells that have tangible results. Simple stuff, like... I don't know, a man in a yellow cap will initiate a conversation with me, or I will see a raccoon in my backyard. Just cast a bunch of these spells, keep a journal, and if I get results, my belief in the magick will strengthen.

Robert Anton Wilsons Cosmic Trigger is basically a course work in seeing how the mind interacts and can affect reality, with no tools needed. The pdf is floating around out there. Good luck!

• Like 1

Robert Anton Wilsons Cosmic Trigger is basically a course work in seeing how the mind interacts and can affect reality, with no tools needed. The pdf is floating around out there. Good luck!

I read Prometheus Rising many years ago and found it hard to accept. I forgot a lot of it, but the whole 8 circuit thing just seems too shoe horned for me.

I'm reading through Cosmic Trigger now and for some reason its resonating much more with me. Maybe because now I am delving into the occult, so I'm more open to the concepts that beliefs can shape reality.

What is the best way for a beginner to learn how to summon entities? 

Your asking and looking from one way perspective... even if you want, will they come to you?   

So why not ask... what do they want in order to be summoned :)

That is good introspection... but realize you just shut down the original idea... your intent said it is "currently not possible for me"... notice the 'me' ?    You're keeping the focus on yourself alone.

Don't think divination is my thing.. I just straight up don't believe in it. Very strong mental blocks against that kind of thing.. I'll need a lot of magickal experience to loosen up the way I view the world in order for me to clear that skepticism.

So you started a question about something which you have very strong mental blocks against?

More good introspection :)

In my own energy travels, I do find that one's multi-dimensional-view (ie: multi-world framework) is important but right now, your local mind feeding you information.  

Know this: Your subconscious has a different multi-dimensional-world view of entities, beings, spirits and deities...  You just have not made that sync and connection, but you heard an echo... ergo, this thread :)  

Build up your reserves of Jing, Qi and Shen- once you get to a certain degree, *they* will then- seek you out :)

• Like 1

Summoning entities is as simple as asking.

Doing it in a safe manner and cleaning them out of your space afterward is the real question.

This is one of the most unsafe practices known to man.

In a certain sense their are three types that engage in this:

The stupid

The naive

The advanced practitionar that is now willing to engage in such practices and so is an advanced beginner.

The stupid are those that enjoy jumping into a bathtub full of razor blades.

The naive are those possibly highly intelligent people that have wandered into territory that are entirely unaware of the dangers and quicksand - like visiting a good looking gingerbread house.

The very advanced practitioner who is already seeing spirit and understands karma and body ownership. A practioner that regards no entity as its superior.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 5

As Spotless mentioned, this practice can be very beneficial but also cause a disaster if stupidly done. I hesitate to give any advice simply because it's something that can be quite delicate. If your interested in this field, then I suggest you make a serious study of it....it's not the kind of practice you want to go into half-hearted. Spirit Speak by Ivo Dominguez might be a good place to start.

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

I agree on pursuing this in a well-prepared and cautious manner. However, fear is not recommended as a guide here. Some entities will easily use it to your own undoing.

• Like 1

The issue I have is that you can interpret any situation to fit into a prediction. So tarot predictions and astrology predictions always come true for everyone. But hopefully I'm wrong and skilled practitioners can make pinpoint accurate predictions

edit: Reading through the book, wow this is pretty complex and requires some heavy concentration and visualization that I do not currently have. I'll keep at it and try to use it as a motivation to meditate more and practice magick more.

Forget prediction!

Seek the wisdom.

With tarot, in time , if you also practice and develop your concentration and visualisation,  you will be able to apply that wisdom to situations as they occur.  It will expand your options of choices , solutions and paths. 

With astrology  you can apply that wisdom the same way to yourself. After a while you will be more aware of the  correct applications of your own particular  'skill sets'. 

Summoning entities just sounds too scary for me. 

However I'm sure I have experienced confrontations with them before.

Edited by idiot_stimpy

From the materials I've read, the results should come. The books I've read say magick isn't just a psychological thing, it has a tangible effect on reality. So, I hope I'll be able to see it for myself.

I commend your investigative approach. But realise an investigator must know how to do the investigation.

If you go and buy a Harry Potter wand and wave it in the air and say 'money rain down; and it doesnt ......  

yes I am being exaggerated, but you get my drift ? 

The scientist must make sure he does the experiment the right way ... are the wires connected properly, is the current flowing, should it be ac or dc  ? 

A serious investigation like this would fit into more of the idea of post Victorian 'Scientific Illuminism'.  It requires a journal and a record being kept in it. I recommend writing them up like a science experiment  under topics like ; Aim , equipment, process, preparation, then the details of the operation, then follow up with results and observations as well as a daily running diary. Sometimes it isnt until review of these we do observe any patterns of results.

Some times they emerge on latter reading as effects in our moods or personality / consciousness that we are not aware of day to day ... and other things.

It's not a simplistic path.  What are your 'spells' and experiments going to be ?  One can always say the experiment failed as due to faulty preparation  (  maybe that blood was from a bat that wasnt a virgin ?  Maybe I pronounced the Coptic wrong ? ) .

Or you could just try something simple like 'candle magic' and keep a record of that ... there is a scad of 'magic' like that all over the internet. 

• Like 1

I read Prometheus Rising many years ago and found it hard to accept. I forgot a lot of it, but the whole 8 circuit thing just seems too shoe horned for me.

I'm reading through Cosmic Trigger now and for some reason its resonating much more with me. Maybe because now I am delving into the occult, so I'm more open to the concepts that beliefs can shape reality.

I think you need to be captured and put through an experience   :)

Like the one R.A. Wilson put 'Sir John Babcock' through in 'Masks of the Illuminati'  when he joined an occult secret society which was really a ......  *  run by the .... wait for it  ......

* - well, I wouldnt want to spoil the plot - 

wicked and sinister Aleister Crowley  ....... 

As Spotless mentioned, this practice can be very beneficial but also cause a disaster if stupidly done. I hesitate to give any advice simply because it's something that can be quite delicate. If your interested in this field, then I suggest you make a serious study of it....it's not the kind of practice you want to go into half-hearted. Spirit Speak by Ivo Dominguez might be a good place to start.

yeah, but he has already gone 'beyond' that and heading back to some sounder basics.

Good on him for that , I reckon. 

.... could be a fizzer though  ;)

Spotless:

If you have a way for me to make entities into tangible beings in my reality, do let me know. I have asked and I have tried to make myself genuinely believe in the presence of entities, and I never receive anything concrete. Perhaps it's as simple as asking for you and others, but for me, my worldview is too grounded into realist materialism.

So if you know some foolproof way to summon an entity for a person like me, you will be doing me a great service if you would inform me. No negative entity experience can compare to living life with a purely materialistic worldview and being a puppet to my fears and desires.

Nungali:

Yeah. I'm getting deeper into cosmic trigger, and RAW definitely went through some experiences. I'm at the point where I'm starting to question if his intention was just bullshitting his readers lol because a lot of them are very far fetched.

And at the same time, I would love to experience the things he did. It sounds amazing. The issue is I have no access to psychedelics that I could trust is pure, and I don't really feel like doing them either. I hope to develop the discipline to meditate for hours a day to make up for my lack of psychedelics.

As for your concerns about my methods, I'm going to try joining a local Thelema group. The teachers are members of the official A'.'A'.' so perhaps their classes could give me some guidance on reaching my goals.