Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Mental Body vs Emotional Body

Hello all, I have been interested lately in the mental body and the emotional body of man. 

The majority of my practice has centred around the mind, and I feel as though I have neglected working with the emotion/energy. 

Is it possible to have advancement in the mind, but have the emotional/energy side of things lacking?

Does anyone have any further insights or ideas to get me started on looking into this?

• Like 1

Hello all, I have been interested lately in the mental body and the emotional body of man. 

Does anyone have any further insights or ideas to get me started on looking into this?

Whoa.  I prepared a lengthy post about this the other day . . . and then decided not to submit it because I got tangled up in terminology.

Basically:  how are the "Mental Body" and the "Emotional Body" in western terminology . . . related to the Lower, Middle, and Upper Dantien in QiGong terminology (?)

And how are they related to the idea of a "Mind/Body" in QiGong (?)

If I have an Emotion . . . where is it coming from in QiGong (?)

Presumably (?) an Emotion has a physical component (neurotransmitters, peptides, hormones) . . . and an energetic component (some form of Chi?) . . . and a mental component (thoughts, memories).

But I've never seen a clear explanation of how these are understood/mapped in QiGong terms.

Hope this helps advance the discussion . . .

• Like 1

The majority of my practice has centred around the mind, and I feel as though I have neglected working with the emotion/energy. 

Is it possible to have advancement in the mind, but have the emotional/energy side of things lacking?

The two are directly connected. As mental clarity "increases" one is less whipsawed by emotions. The concern with only focusing on mental clarity is that one can sort of dig a deep hole in consciousness and stay in that quiet mental place. This is often like staying on a mountain top. It is only when one is dealing with normal issues of work, family and life that one knows if they have true mental clarity.

Working with energy across the entire energy body helps with this as one "hits" obstructions (issues and fears) stored in the energy body. The hitting/noticing allows one to notice such a broader spectrum of issues. On the energy side, a similar concern is with people who only with certain chakras (or higher energy ranges). Such limited energy interaction is the same things as "spiritual bypassing" at an emotional level.

• Like 1

Emotions are connected to the organs.

So early qigong practice is becoming familiar with this and gaining mastery of organs function and interactions.

Any good 5 phases diagram will show how major organs are interelated energetically and what organs are relating to what emotions.

Essentially, a large part is about gaining mastery of hormonal functions - neurotransmitters are hormones too - so this is concern with our interaction with environment at even the most basic level of awareness.

Most "psychological" explainations of emotions are actually looking more "after the fact" - like picking a leaf if we to try chopping a tree down. Lots of leaves up there - easy to get lost in them. If trunk is there, and roots are there, picking leaves just results in more shoots coming out to replace them. Lots of discussion, but not addressing source.

Organs are processing "energy", which is equal to the "environment". Much emotion is really just discharge of excess from various organs. Looking at it "psychologically" will not see what is being discharged, but is like merely seeing the effect - like seeing leaf of tree but not seeing it attached to branch, attach to trunk, attach to roots, and what are roots in.

Most simply, emotions are the other side of food. Organs are 100% made of food, and food is another word for our total overall environment, which includes the dense minerals found at the core of the planet to cosmic rays and infinite nothingness.

Taking this "outer" environment into ourselves in ways that are out of natural order (Tao) will make inner environment (our body) also out of order. Discharge from organs becomes imbalanced - out of proportion to internal and to external environment (micro-cosmos and macro-cosmos).

The aggregated functionings mentioned constitute the "energy body" which is related to specific and overall metabolism and expression.

In cultivation, this "energy body" is mastered as a prerequisite for development of the "spirit body".

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this