Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Swallowing saliva

What's the dealio with this? Read about it often enough and one of my tai chi teachers in Portland used to say that one should click the teeth and keep the tongue on the palate behind the teeth while swallowing the saliva...

Yes, you are supposed to keep the tongue to the roof of your mouth, bring your jaw forward slightly, and swallow slowly. This helps you find the pathways going down your throat to the dantian.

• Like 1

I've noticed the kidney yin pulse on the wrist tends to become stronger from doing it when it's weak. Not sure if it is 100% reliable, but just something I noticed.

• Like 1

It's hard at first. When I first tried this, I produced so much saliva and I nearly choked. Seems to be ok now!

Practice as usual, does the trick :)

click the teeth

What do you mean by this btw? In meditation, my jaw is relaxed, so no teeth together. If I do kung fu forms, teeth together (just because jaw should never hang in combat otherwise if it gets punched, big chance of it breaking!) I can't speak for tai chi though.

Basically, close and open the jaw, as if you were eating, clicking the teeth. My teacher was Chinese...

hi fellow bums,last few months,I always keep my tongue on the roof of the mouth right behind the teeth and I,m salivating excessively which I read in here is a good thing(?) But with the excessive swalloning of saliva comes the gulping off too much air which brings bloating and short stomach aches.Sould I not keep the tongue at the top all the time?

Swallowing saliva and the tongue position in the mouth seems rather important to both of the Wu Dong lineage holders I've studied with... Master Zhou Ting-Jue calls this practice 'swallowing the pearls' and in his lineage it is vitally important and brings great benefit.

Master Wang Li Ping, when beginning to sit always says.  Sit well.  Sit up straight.  Close eyes.  Lips closed, teeth touch (lightly), tongue behind the front teeth.

The tongue position seems to correspond to completing the Du/Ren energetic circuit, creating a bridge between the Mai Zhong and San Jeng points in the face, according to Master Zhou.

Some time ago, I realized that at some point in my process, without thinking about it, my natural, neutral facial position has become one where my lips are closed, my teeth are touching (not clenched) and my tongue is nearly always resting on the roof of my mouth with the tip just behind the upper front teeth.  This occurs without thought, intention or will.

There is a constant flow of saliva, but when swallowing this, I do not tend to swallow, or gulp air along with it and don't experience the gassiness you mention @26sol

I have noticed I become gassy and swallow a lot of air, when I eat or drink too quickly... gulping down air with my food when rushed.

Just my passing thoughts on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From my tai chi chuan and meditation book:

At a more advanced stage, a much more powerful feeling is experienced. the abdomen becomes very hot and one suddenly feels a surge of vital energy go back into the base of the spine, then up the Tu Mo to the top of the head. As it comes over the top of the head and enters the Jen Mo, a flow of very clean and sweet-tasting saliva is felt in the mouth. This is distilled from the ch`i, which then flows down the Jen Mo in the form of water.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2018 at 5:05 PM, silent thunder said:

Swallowing saliva and the tongue position in the mouth seems rather important to both of the Wu Dong lineage holders I've studied with... Master Zhou Ting-Jue calls this practice 'swallowing the pearls' and in his lineage it is vitally important and brings great benefit.

Master Wang Li Ping, when beginning to sit always says.  Sit well.  Sit up straight.  Close eyes.  Lips closed, teeth touch (lightly), tongue behind the front teeth.

The tongue position seems to correspond to completing the Du/Ren energetic circuit, creating a bridge between the Mai Zhong and San Jeng points in the face, according to Master Zhou.

Some time ago, I realized that at some point in my process, without thinking about it, my natural, neutral facial position has become one where my lips are closed, my teeth are touching (not clenched) and my tongue is nearly always resting on the roof of my mouth with the tip just behind the upper front teeth.  This occurs without thought, intention or will.

There is a constant flow of saliva, but when swallowing this, I do not tend to swallow, or gulp air along with it and don't experience the gassiness you mention @26sol

I have noticed I become gassy and swallow a lot of air, when I eat or drink too quickly... gulping down air with my food when rushed.

Just my passing thoughts on this.

HI. Please speak more about the master zhou ting jue practices. I want to study with him, this pandemic has caused me a big trouble to make this dream came true.

@moreira Filho  Lately I endeavor to not describe practice mechanics in too much depth, instead I focus on sharing my experiences from playing them.  A bit of technique strays into the conversation, but I try to keep that minimal as my words about the forms cannot convey the teaching.  These forms are like a living thing that arises between student and teacher.

In my experience, I'm qualified only to share my opinion of my experience.

My opinion is that with your drive and desire, you should be persistent and come to Cali to study in person. 

Perhaps we could meet and share tea and talk shop!

In the last year or so, I've sensed inertia rising to contact the school again and begin playing level three.  I'm grateful you reached out today, for through this conversation and the perspective it's brought to mind, my sense of that inertia is growing in clarity and motive.

*deep bow*

Who knows, maybe we'll even study together, before approaching level three, I'll revisit one and two. 

Either way, i am grateful for your reaching out.  It had an impact and the timing is beneficial.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 7:11 PM, silent thunder said:

@moreira Filho  Lately I endeavor to not describe practice mechanics in too much depth, instead I focus on sharing my experiences from playing them.  A bit of technique strays into the conversation, but I try to keep that minimal as my words about the forms cannot convey the teaching.  These forms are like a living thing that arises between student and teacher.

In my experience, I'm qualified only to share my opinion of my experience.

My opinion is that with your drive and desire, you should be persistent and come to Cali to study in person. 

Perhaps we could meet and share tea and talk shop!

In the last year or so, I've sensed inertia rising to contact the school again and begin playing level three.  I'm grateful you reached out today, for through this conversation and the perspective it's brought to mind, my sense of that inertia is growing in clarity and motive.

*deep bow*

Who knows, maybe we'll even study together, before approaching level three, I'll revisit one and two. 

Either way, i am grateful for your reaching out.  It had an impact and the timing is beneficial.

I am very happy tonhave the oportunity to make new friends. Hope that i can meet you in california. i will orgnize my calendar and vacations to go to Califonia. Please if you contact the school tell me if the master or someone still theaches nd give class, because i can not have any sucess in cotacting by email, and can nor have sucess to contact by international phone call. sorry for my english it is not very good (learning a bit every day).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moreira Filho said:

I am very happy tonhave the oportunity to make new friends. Hope that i can meet you in california. i will orgnize my calendar and vacations to go to Califonia. Please if you contact the school tell me if the master or someone still theaches nd give class, because i can not have any sucess in cotacting by email, and can nor have sucess to contact by international phone call. sorry for my english it is not very good (learning a bit every day).

If I contact them, I will let you know.

Your english is nothing to apologize for, it's impressive and earns my respect.

Sign in to follow this