Sign in to follow this  
agharta

name this posture?

Depending what system also depends on if its a transition between moves?

3 just from the top of my head from my Bak mie and Hakka systems.

golden scissors

dividing the bridge

opening the bridge

Like i said depending on the art and the purpose of the move will also dictate the name!

I believe thats called 'Hands resting on Fence Post' taught by venerable master Marcel Marceau from the mime gong.

M.

I believe thats called 'Hands resting on Fence Post' taught by venerable master Marcel Marceau from the mime gong.

M.

Rest in peace grandmaster Marcel, i hope a smile may appear on your face for all eternity.

M.

It's a static posture, designed to be generally hard to attack from most angles.

Interesting, any difficulties with the pre-crossed arms? I do like how it looks strange/ weird (at least to me)

I've used a similar posture in pubs with one hand under the chin, the other arm touching that elbow, (like the classic thinker position) Nice defensive fence without escalating things by shaping up and talking a stance.

Edited by Mal

I don't see major issues with the pre-crossed arms. If someone attacks from the side or back, you can use your elbows. from the front, you twist, give way, and then circularly flow into a penetration punch, or direct poke to the carotid sinus, or a knee lift at an angle, into the groin/abdomen general area, or a couple of those simultaneously. the system it comes from uses the lower body probably as much or more at the higher levels, and stepping patterns, whole-body turns, side-steps, and odd foot techniques and kicks are probably 80% of the physical technique, depending, although much depends on the situation and your mood, I suppose.

Nice, shame we can't get together and try it out. I love seing how different arts do things and this looks pretty cool.

Are your hips loaded w/ the inward angles and the wide stance?

Loaded? That's a new one on me, bro. Tell me a little about what it means in terms of hips.

Loaded? That's a new one on me, bro. Tell me a little about what it means in terms of hips.

Your left foot is angled inward, and is slightly to the rear of the right foot. This direction of the foot appears to manifest in your hips as a twist, and I venture to say your dan tien is facing to the right slightly.

What I mean by loading your hip is the stance creating tension in one/other/both hips that is released when the foot it returned to a parrallel position which would normally be "wuji".

My reason for asking is that if you load your hip there are various direction in which it can release, which could turn it into a nice little moving chi gung. Spontaneous postures like this are genuine and great for starting the internal inquiry process.

I wouldn't spend all day in that position, return to wuji after you feel like your done.

In the case of your hand position, this would be a protective posture or "cross hands" in taijiquan.

Spectrum

My reason for asking is that if you load your hip there are various direction in which it can release, which could turn it into a nice little moving chi gung. Spontaneous postures like this are genuine and great for starting the internal inquiry process.

Spectrum

The system it comes from is actually 80% spontaneous. You learn hand and foot techniques from 29 different systems from 6 different parts of Asia, including Tibet, India, Mongolia, Indonesia, and China, and combine them freely with each other. It was actually started by Zhao Kuangyin (Tai Tzu), the founder of the Song dynasty, and head of the former emperor's bodyguard. Supposedly Zhao actually came up with the original 8-move taiji form, Peng, Ni, Ji, An, Chai, Liei, Cho, Kao. I know those names are a little different, but supposedly that version is the original.

Interesting origins. Sounds like a Chinese KajaKenpo.

This is One Way

If you draw 8 directions from the center of your circle outwards like the spokes of a wheel, then put your feet in every configuration possible through basic reasoning process (method/system) you'll start to see basic patterns.

Look:

Once you start to shift your weight into/through each possibility you start seeing all kinds of stances. Vary your foot distance you see different arts. When your stepping shifting and pivoting "flow" for a period of time through any plane path or route, something happens.

Tai Chi: 8 energies + 5 steps: 13 postures

The really neat thing here is that any of the 8 energies can be combined with any of the 5 steps. Thats 40 right there. The possibilities here for bodily inquiry through movement meditation should be obvious by now.

The central and important theme to all forms of kung fu and most movement arts in general is a relaxed central posture, known in Chinese Culture as Wuji. This small squat "sunken" approach to the suspension of the center of gravity tisolates vertical postural variations into horitxontal planes.

There is a postural / energetic significance to this sunken stance approach to relocation because the natural curves in the spine and the ability of the pelvis to tilt changes energy distribution between spine and legs. Thus, the relaxed, free, spontaneous approach to movement meditation that is charactaristic of Taoist movement culture.

The 8 energies of Tai Chi Chuan are great examples of classical body wisdom evolving and being transmitted, stored in a form and travelled outside of the confines of "history books" to whomever in the world knows it now. I think this has the same value as the 4000 year old unbroken oral tradition of learning the Sanskrit Vedas. Also from a communciation perspective, it's pretty cool that everytime you meet someone who knows some tai chi you have an instant dialog. It's interesting. You don't even need to touch the person, just watch from a distance it's like meditative dialog. Like watching surfing, except just another natural element blending in, humanly.

There are 108 moves in the long form. For some reason or another. Interesting number 108. 360 / 108 = 3.333~

Respectfully,

Spectrum

Interesting origins. Sounds like a Chinese KajaKenpo.

This is One Way

If you draw 8 directions from the center of your circle outwards like the spokes of a wheel, then put your feet in every configuration possible through basic reasoning process (method/system) you'll start to see basic patterns.

Look:

Once you start to shift your weight into/through each possibility you start seeing all kinds of stances. Vary your foot distance you see different arts. When your stepping shifting and pivoting "flow" for a period of time through any plane path or route, something happens.

Exactly....except that picture also exists in all three dimensions, both above and below the floor. In other words, you can generate spontaneous hand and foot techniques and combos pretty much limitlessly simply through visualizing your picture in 3 dimensions instead of 2. You can use most any mandala-type thing for this. This is part of what my sifu's system involves.

shh. don't tell nobody. I'll get in trouble. For reals.

Language is a reference point. Sacred Geometry is the same as it ever was. You never know whats in a name. Do you remember it yet?

Edited by Spectrum

I was never taught the name, actually, now that I remember. We had been having ongoing discussion for a week or two among the students about which stance would be the ideal protective stance. I came up with feet together, knees bent, hands in prayer position in front of the heart. Then my sifu showed someone this stance. I don't think he named it.

Renzo shows Prayer Position in his book "Mastering Jiu Jitsu" as a defensive and entry posture. Good observations you guys are making. The only good position in one that can form answers to questions from every direction. Every stance has wuji hidden within.

Spectrum

Sign in to follow this