Sign in to follow this  
kathrynwyles

lost, confused and frustrated

I haven't read a huge amount on Taoism, but I am expanding my horizons slowly. What I have read and learned has made a fair bit of sense (as much as the contradictions of tao can) so I'm really hoping to learn a lot more .... but I'm finding it very difficult to find a starting point - who to read to grasp the basic concepts of taoism and the most basic principles of meditation. I feel I need a teacher to help guide me through my learning since I get off track so easily, but unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find anybody in Adelaide to speak to.

My biggest issue at the moment is time, or distinct lack thereof. I'm studying nursing at uni and have very little time to think about anything besides studying and sleeping - which is causing much stress in my life. The stress is urging me on to study more about tao to find a balance ... so it's a bit of a vicious cycle.

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated =)

imho there's better starting points than pillars - not to say that isnt a good exercise, though! for me, a bunch of yang jwing ming's books gave me a somewhat decent conceptual foundation from which to start. there's gotta be better ways than that, too - it took me a long time to read and ponder the material before I earnestly began practicing, much less made any progress...not that my present progress is anything to bat an eye at, but that's my fault, not the book's :)

I normally just come around and read, but wanted to let you know that your feeling of being overwhelmed, is quite common from what I can tell. We all have to start somewhere though. As it is said, "Even the journey of a thousand miles, starts with the first step."

Hi Kathryn,

Being lost, confused, and frustrated is a good start. It means that you're not happy anymore with being asleep at the wheel and you're trying to wake up. I found it very tough to get much out of the standard works in the beginning like Laozi and Zhuangzi. There are some authors that can help you get a sense of what's going on in a more contemporary syntx. I resonate well with writings of Alan Watts, J Krishnamurti (wouldn't call himself Daoist but I would), Osho, and Raymond Smullyan (The Tao is Silent). Also, look into non-dualism and Advaita as they are grounded in the same basic concepts.

Good luck,

Steve

"The Wisdom of Insecurity" by Alan Watts is a great start. It gives a basic overview of what's wrong with western society, and why you are feeling what you are feeling now. It's a great little easy read.

I'd also consider the "Tao of Pooh" and "The te of Piglet". Alot of people pooh-pooh these two, but most western taoists have read these books early on in thier studies whether they liked to admit it or not. You should follow thier example. You'll have fun, and get a little overview on some Taoist concepts. You can always deny reading them later, like everyone else has.

I also suggest "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living". It seems like what most people really need in your situation is a "daily habit overhaul." Until you start aquiring healthy habits, all the reading of the classics will do is confuse you. If that's what you are looking for, this book foots the bill. In spite of the Zen title, it is about as Daoist as you can get. You'll find it's simple textbook style approach to be very easy to read, apply and absorb.

Once you've read these, and started a basic emptiness meditation practice (You'll learn it in 'Zen Living'), then I'd start exploring classics such as Tao te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Good Luck!

Bodhi

I normally just come around and read, but wanted to let you know that your feeling of being overwhelmed, is quite common from what I can tell. We all have to start somewhere though. As it is said, "Even the journey of a thousand miles, starts with the first step."

Thank you for that - it is so easy to get overwhelmed and just see the big picture. I really need to remind myself to take a breath and start small. =)

Hi Kathryn,

These articles will help you understand a few basic things about meditation:

http://www.meditationexpert.com/articles.html

max

Cheers for the link, I'll be checking that out for sure.

Adeliade ? Another Downunder Daoist :lol: ?

Anyhow,I have one & only one recommendation for a "Beginner" .To give you an intial & immediatelu useable orientation, I say check out Adyashanti. Particularly the Book-CD set TRUE MEDITATION from Sounds True. Although he originated in Zen, I find him to be a very "pure " & uncluttered Daoist.

Regards,Cloud :)

I really need to remind myself to take a breath and start small. =)

Keep doing that and keep feeling lost and confused :) Seriously it's a good thing! The Tao is confusing and breathing is so important.

Best advice on starting..............Pick a meditation that you like and PRACTICE it.

A most useful resource http://www.alchemicaltaoism.com/

p.s. yes good to see another Downunder Daoist B)

hi Kathryn, you've been given heaps of advice already, i know, but next time Master Feng comes to Adelaide, you might want to attend.

I've been practicing what he teaches for a bit over a year and it's VERY good, and it keeps geting better.

http://www.taidow.com/about-taidow.html

he said you can email him for more info if you want.

best

hi Kathryn, you've been given heaps of advice already, i know, but next time Master Feng comes to Adelaide, you might want to attend.

I've been practicing what he teaches for a bit over a year and it's VERY good, and it keeps geting better.

best

Hi Mat, I've seen this guy's website and wanted to take a workshop because I'm very interested in what he claims increases nitric oxide in his chigung. Can you share what that is? My own research has uncovered that humming releases nitric oxide so I was wondering if he was using some kind of mantra. Also, just general relaxation does it. Anyway, any insight would be very appreciated.

T

Hi Thad, it's mainly in the breathing technique which generates N.O. Humming is great, but there's a particular pause that master Feng teaches that seems to be more effective.

The practice also uses certain sounds (which are the main focus) They are kind of similar to a mantra, but have a feel all of their own.

They are based on ancient feng shui knowledge and correspond to the yearly universal vibration that took place when you were born. (so there's a numer of different sounds, the invividual one being determined by their D.O.B.)

So when you recite it, it's like being in the womb of the universe, pretty amazing

The beauty is that it can be done walking, sitting, standing laying down.

The experiences ive had from it are numerous from various physical sensations, showers of light, bliis states, and deep stillness.

Hi Thad, it's mainly in the breathing technique which generates N.O. Humming is great, but there's a particular pause that master Feng teaches that seems to be more effective.

Cool..how can i learn about it?

Thanks,

T

best

Cheers for that info =)

If the Taoism path of Michael Winn/ Mantak Chia interests you then I recommend the inexpensive and experiential guided meditations of Minke DeVos. Her Tao Basics CD has 4 very well done guided meditations.

Her 15 minute Microcosmic orbit is very good. Biaural sounds and sound effects. Leading you from point to point before starting a flow. The others Energy meditation, full body are also great. Her sexual energy meditation includes the orbit, breath retention, packing, very unusual. All her CD's are good. But her Basics is extraordinary.

There is a link to her Silent Grounds site here and on Winns page. Being 'sucked' into a good guided meditation is more effective then reading about the experience in a book IMHO.

Michael

How about just being perfectly in each moment?

Some of us need to learn to walk before we are ready to run... to the nearest sky scraper.... and jump off... without a parachute...

:D

How about just being perfectly in each moment?

That sounds a lot easier than it is. My life is surrounded by constant noise and chatter, things needing to be done, expectations and places to be. When you're expected to think to the future all the time, make plans weeks in advance and spontaneity is discouraged it can be difficult to be perfectly in each moment.

That sounds a lot easier than it is. My life is surrounded by constant noise and chatter, things needing to be done, expectations and places to be. When you're expected to think to the future all the time, make plans weeks in advance and spontaneity is discouraged it can be difficult to be perfectly in each moment.

I often wonder how Taoism fits into the start of adulthood.

University studies or starting a career to support you through life is hard arduous work.

What would Chuang Tuz advise?

One practice is to focus on whatever is happening at any given moment with all your being, all the time. Give yourself over to it entirely. Smell all the smells, feel whatever is in contact with your skin entirely, pay attention to every sound, taste, etc... If you're interacting with another person really try to see them and hear them as if you've never met them before. Make every moment new. Allow yourself to do whatever it is you are doing while being totally immersed in your situation - be fully present and aware. Whenever the thoughts creep in and distract, return to your senses and the present moment. Over time, it gets gradually easier. It's very difficult in the beginning. It's only when you are fully present in the moment that you are really alive. Experience it and enjoy it. Life is much too short, beautiful, and valuable to live in your thoughts. The thoughts will be there, waiting for you, you can do fine without them.

Sign in to follow this