Sign in to follow this  
niveQ

Sleeping surface

What do you all sleep on? I got rid of my mattress after I tested sleeping on the floor. For the first two weeks, the firmness worked much better than the give of the mattress. But, now I find that I could use something there; something firm, thin and practical.

Do any of you share my experience? Do you have any idea? I don't exactly want to spend hundreds of dollars. I am also wary of these chemicals that everyone mentions in modern mattresses.

Edited by niveQ
  • Like 2

Due to my wife I sleep on a nice firm mattress.  But at yoga ashrams I slept on a thin sponge type mattress 3 or so inches thick placed on plywood.  It took a few days but I think I slept better on the thin cheap mattress over plywood; falling asleep faster and going deeper.  Some padding is probably optimal but modern mattresses probably overdue it. 

• Like 2

Try a Thai mat...they are used in Thai massage, can be rolled up and stored away, you can get them made of gortex-water proof...I am pretty sure its exactly what you want, I'd also say tatami mat, but a Thai mat is more portable...

• Like 1

A few years back we bought a very expensive McRoskey matress - it was too soft and within 6 months I developed sciatica. We sold the matress and my wife bought another McRoskey for her half and I have been trying to find a firm enough bed ever since.

The sciatica problem has be ongoing now for about 5 + years though it goes away pretty much during the day and is somewhat under control.

I am just returning the firmest matress Costco offers - even put 1/2 wood under the entire matress and two large books under the hip area. Two problems - not firm enough and they topped it with memory foam which overheats me so when I'm not turning from hip pain I'm turning because I'm too hot.

I used to have a boat with about 3" of standard cushion foam on it in the cabin and I really enjoyed it. I am considering this or an air matress option - they can get rock hard. The only thing in my head is that I can pay for an air matress which comes with foam over it which is what they do, or I can create a wood platform with foam on it for about $100.

I agree with thelearner - 3" of foam is pretty good - and if it is regular foam it is pretty cooling as well.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Hard tile floor with a thin hard bamboo mat on top.  The bamboo doesn't make it any softer, it just keeps me off the floor tiles. Been sleeping this way for many years and wouldn't change a thing. I love it.

Sign in to follow this