Jox

Walking qigong

During hiking around we should do some qi gong too ...  :) 

There are probably many variations of walking qi gong ...  any recommendations / sources, feedbacks, experiences are welcome ... ;)

• Like 1

Walking qigong is an important part of the Stillness-Movement system. It seems to affect people encountered while walking (including non-human people) and it substantially decreases the amount of "physical energy" burned while walking. I do some "group hiking" and "hiking qigong" seems to keep me from getting exhausted or sore as most of my similarly aged and conditioned fellow hikers seem to get. I'll still get winded on a particularly steep climb but I recover very quickly and feel great at the end of the day while others are talking about going home to soak in a tub or whatever.

• Like 3

I believe qigong should could be done during anything. After a few months of cultivating, I was having spontaneous 'walking qigong', where I would experience intense and regular vibrating at my mingmen whilst going down the street. It felt like a mobile phone set on vibrate was ringing in my backpack! I even checked my bag a few times to make sure there wasn't one in there lol

We have walking/running qigong at LoneMan Pai, which requires practicing 3 preliminary techniques, before moving onto the actual walking qigong.

It's a little complex at first glance, but eventually, it'll become as easy as.. well, walking  :D 

Link: LoneMan Pai™- Walking / Running Gong

• Like 2

Sometimes I just walk and breathe fully, feeling the fresh air rejuvenate me as the walking clears the channels. Simple.

• Like 1

A very informative

Concentration + continuous mindfulness are the key elements of practice. Everything that stops the monkey mind in order to start the 'real work.'

1. Go extra slow, the slower the better.

2. Practice in the natural environment as often as you can, amongst trees and fresh flowers and near moving water (creek, sea, etc.) if possible.

• Like 1

A very informative

Concentration + continuous mindfulness are the key elements of practice. Everything that stops the monkey mind in order to start the 'real work.'

1. Go extra slow, the slower the better.

2. Practice in the natural environment as often as you can, amongst trees and fresh flowers and near moving water (creek, sea, etc.) if possible.

This isn't really "walking qigong"; it's Buddhust meditation in walking form. Not that there's anything wrong with that but one major difference for example would be the way the head hís held.

Walking Qigong is powerful medicine. Keep the eye to the front, stay wide awake and aware of your surroundings; the breath plays the key role in the various exersises, together with pecific arm movements and stepping patterns.

Xi Xi Hu

• Like 1

Walking qigong is an important part of the Stillness-Movement system. It seems to affect people encountered while walking (including non-human people) and it substantially decreases the amount of "physical energy" burned while walking. I do some "group hiking" and "hiking qigong" seems to keep me from getting exhausted or sore as most of my similarly aged and conditioned fellow hikers seem to get. I'll still get winded on a particularly steep climb but I recover very quickly and feel great at the end of the day while others are talking about going home to soak in a tub or whatever.

Yes, I remember a specific student , who didn't really believe the walking qigong was ....real.....with the description of her first experience. She had gone with a group up to Canada hiking in the mountains. Said that after she started out she remembered what I had told her to do and thought to herself "This isn't going to do anything but I am going to give it a try..." Said that just minutes after started the whole world shifted - the colors became much brighter, the sounds more distinct, everything seemed harmonized, and..she finished the day energized whereas the others in the group were all worn out.

Bear in mind there are several different walking qigong forms.

And, there certainly is a difference in doing walking qigong versus regular walking, mindfulness, breath control, posture control, and any number of other approaches. Folks appear to forget that QI GONG is the study of energy that requires time & effort. Walking "qigong" that is not a study of energy is not qigong but other. Other is fine, walking is good for the heart and soul.

• Like 7

I am new to Qigong.  Naturally,  i don't  know  much other than the 8-movement that i do sometimes.  But  sometimes i  feel  like  i am  performing  Qigong without  even  consciously  thinking of it as  Qigong.  Isn't  Qigong  simply  the practice  of  facilitating   proper  energy flow within the body ?  If  my assumption is correct,  this  can  be practiced  in  any  position (walking, sitting, lying etc), anywhere, anytime -  just like  meditation.  I am too lazy now to read up all the basics  on the net.

rats, no idea what you wrote, but I always look forward to reading and learning from it. 

rats, no idea what you wrote, but I always look forward to reading and learning from it. 

That's always how I feel when Taomeow cleans up one of her posts -- her prerogative but I know I missed out on something by not stumbling across it sooner. :(

I am new to Qigong.  Naturally,  i don't  know  much other than the 8-movement that i do sometimes.  But  sometimes i  feel  like  i am  performing  Qigong without  even  consciously  thinking of it as  Qigong.  Isn't  Qigong  simply  the practice  of  facilitating   proper  energy flow within the body ?  If  my assumption is correct,  this  can  be practiced  in  any  position (walking, sitting, lying etc), anywhere, anytime -  just like  meditation.  I am too lazy now to read up all the basics  on the net.

Never  mind  my  question.  Waking  up this morning, my laziness disappeared.  I  was able to learn much from a simple google search  and reading  qigonginstitute  website.   It  is more useful  than the  youtube  videos, which got me started on Qigong.  I get reminded of  Milarepa's  words......"knowledge is vast".   

Edited by seekingbuddha