Lucid Dreaming is probably the easiest way to get into consistent and effective magick, along with many other things. Honestly, I have a hard time trying to delineate based on semantics, but dreaming can effectively be used to explore anything in the "spiritual" or "physical" world. The problem is that folks tend to view dreaming as being insubstantial, primarily because it can be a lot easier than trying to meditate or "astral project" from a starting waking state. But I would suggest that you look into things like brainwave states to get an understanding of dreaming on a shamanic level. The state people are in with lucid dreams is the prime state that people want to be in when they conduct magick, at least until they have done it enough that the magick they produce feels natural. But I would contend that unless you are using lucid dreaming for magickal exploration, it is completely useless. I find that the main issue is that it is so much easier to work with things in dreams that folks just can't accept it as having effect on the "real" world. So that's why it's not considered much in most magic literature, or explored very much beyond Castaneda's work.

• Like 3

Hi Apech,

Do you practice lucid dreaming?

How was it helped you in your life?

Do you still get a good night's sleep?

Cheers

Gl

3 hours ago, Goldleaf said:

Hi Apech,

Cheers

Gl

Hi Goldleaf,

I have some lucid dreams but don't actually practice it.  It hasn't really helped - though some dreams predict things which become significant later - so I guess they are a confirmation.  I am sleeping ok thanks.  How about you?

15 hours ago, Goldleaf said:

Hi Apech,

Cheers

Gl

article-2204049-14F31B21000005DC-627_634

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

while not into magic as a practice, I can comment on lucid dreams.  after sitting in meditation for years,  every day,  My dreams changed to being lucid. did not "do" anything to make this happen, and at first it surprised me.  I then came to see that this is nothing special, most folks who have any kind of long term meditation practice can end up with there dreams lucid. From my dreaming I see both the so called, "dream world"  and the "real world" as being very much alike.  In fact, i no longer know what the words, "real and un-real"  mean other than a mental place holder or belief we are socialized to accept.  One of my lucid dreams started off as the "being naked in public" dream, where I am nude,  and no one else seems to notice, except me. common dream for many.  then I knew I was dreaming,  and decided to have some fun, and started to shout to everyone "Hay!  look at me, I am buck ass naked" . most folks did not pay attention, but one man saw me and started to laugh.  I stuck my dream hand through his chest, and he dissipated like a mist.  I immediately  knew that I did something wrong.  Because although this was a dream, there was still a part of "realness" about it.  still feel bad for that screw up.  

• Like 3

My earliest clear memory is of becoming lucid in a dream back when I didn't differentiate between dreaming and waking life... and I've been coming lucid in dreams on and off my entire life.

I've had countless experiences in dreams that are more vivid than physical reality and as all experience serves to reveal my authentic nature through my response to stimuli, I have come to value dream experience as readily as physical ones and have come to appreciate dreaming as a very potent realm of self exploration, unfolding realization and cultivation.

The unshakable, palpable sense that the waking world is akin to a shared dream has always resonated with me.  And many cultures talk of this... The Tibetans and Aboriginal Peoples of Australia come to mind.

As the dreaming mind works in symbols, in my experience it can be potent ground for initiating shifts in the aspects of our minds/selves that lie beyond our pinpoint/flashlight like rantional waking mind.  Though I have seldom engaged in any traditional Magick aside from rudimentary divination (norse runes and tarot) and a healthy respect for following my intuition when it reveals itself, I have worked in my dreams my entire life to great effect.

The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tensin Wangyal Rinpoche is a book I recommend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey I'm new to daobums, I had a fantastic lucid experience five days ago. Like profound. I believe dreaming and the shift from regular dreaming to lucid dreaming, as well as the shift from dreaming to wide awake, I believe those moments when we TRANSITION between those different states, gives big clues about what it is like to find the Dao.

I managed to force lucid dreaming a couple of times in my twenties, very trippy. I decided not to pursue that practice as I figured it could lead to confusion as to what's real and what's a dream i.e. Madness! I also didn't think it was of use to me. 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, silent thunder said:

My earliest clear memory is of becoming lucid in a dream back when I didn't differentiate between dreaming and waking life... and I've been coming lucid in dreams on and off my entire life.

I've had countless experiences in dreams that are more vivid than physical reality and as all experience serves to reveal my authentic nature through my response to stimuli, I have come to value dream experience as readily as physical ones and have come to appreciate dreaming as a very potent realm of self exploration, unfolding realization and cultivation.

The unshakable, palpable sense that the waking world is akin to a shared dream has always resonated with me.  And many cultures talk of this... The Tibetans and Aboriginal Peoples of Australia come to mind.

As the dreaming mind works in symbols, in my experience it can be potent ground for initiating shifts in the aspects of our minds/selves that lie beyond our pinpoint/flashlight like rantional waking mind.  Though I have seldom engaged in any traditional Magick aside from rudimentary divination (norse runes and tarot) and a healthy respect for following my intuition when it reveals itself, I have worked in my dreams my entire life to great effect.

The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tensin Wangyal Rinpoche is a book I recommend. 

I have been practicing "conscious sleep" for years, as it is a very effective and illuminating process described in traditions such as Tibetan Buddhism, Sufi "dying before death", yoga, and others. In my opinion, it goes beyond "lucid dreaming". As related to the dreaming aspect, one can remain aware in the stillness and peace of deep sleep ... and then watch dream formation from start to finish. One can also watch and study the transitions between the three states of man (Deep Sleep, Dreaming, and the so-called Waking State) as well as that which lies beyond. In dream formation, one can obviously shift attention between the dream-object and the dreamer. One discovers quickly that, in a dream, one can shift attention whenever one chooses and, of course, anything is possible then.

There are some dream interpretations that are very obvious as they correspond to what is in our mind during the waking state. As you duly noted, some dreams are in symbolic form. Even deeper, when one transcends the three states, one has revelations regarding the nature of Reality. The great Tibetan Yogi, Milarepa, did dream work and, after realizing that he could do whatever he wanted in the dream state, he shifted his attention even deeper and realized that he could also do anything that he wanted in the "Cosmic Dream" of which one becomes aware once one goes beyond the realm of thoughts and ego. Herein lies the nature of the miraculous but, in that state beyond the ego, there is a very interesting propensity to identify with the whole and to act in the best interests of the whole with no ulterior motives. It may appear as magick, but it is deeply spiritual --- an awakening to one's original primal nature.

• Like 1

Ah ha! Yes dream interpretation that can be very useful to get guidance from the unconscious mind etc. 

I listen to this sometimes when I can't sleep and I do feel energised the next day:

On 9/23/2018 at 10:00 AM, silent thunder said:

The unshakable, palpable sense that the waking world is akin to a shared dream has always resonated with me.  And many cultures talk of this...

yes.  same here.  I had lucid dreams as a lad, but not many in young adult hood, later after sitting every day for a few years, the lucid dreams returned, and most of my dreams are lucid, semi lucid, (where one is playing the part of the dream, but can change it at any time), and what I call "wise dreams'  which are very deep, educational, and profound.  I can be out hiking in our hills and I feel like I am in a lucid dream.  not real, not un-real.  weird fun stuff