Sign in to follow this  
Spectrum

Practical Observations of Daily Practice

Five hours into a Thirteen hour workday. Started to feel "clogged up" either from a recipe of greasy breakfast, a cup of acidifying coffee, and some uncirculated air on the side, and perhaps not practicing for 36 hours.

0. Drank 1 liter of structured water.

1. Got up out of chair. (1 sec)

2. Alternately Switched from A Supported Hip Opening Squat to Hindu Squat to Sun Salutations (2 min)

3. Walked to the Wetland Park nearby. (4 min)

4. Noticed Diaphram Releasing upon walking and swinging plum blossoms, leg raises and warmup lunges.

5. Arrived at park clearing. Found my Spot. Dropped into Wuji to Settle.

6. Commence Yang 108 (Approx 30 min?)

7. Note elements of form to continue and combine. Snake Creeps Down. Striking Tiger. Seven Star & Kicks. (10 min)

8. Conclude w/ Standing Wuji. Note elongation of breathing cycle and increased capacity. Very distinct.

The walk back to the office was completely different. This took me approx 45 minutes to complete. I want to take a moment to note the qualitative differences before and after. Air seemed to be cooling the surface of my skin at the same time a very refreshed feeling of hydration coming to the surface from within and flowing all around like microcirculations of water in a wetsuit. The top and bottom of the inhale and exhale are free and circulate into one another. Natural twists and turns and corners do not result in holding the breath, but a transitional body wisdom that is free and spontaneous.

At this point I feel if I would not have broken away from the grind for this time I would be "having a bad day". It's nice when nature calls and you are catching (riding) balance, and wuji happens.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

6. Commence Yang 108 (Approx 30 min?)

Does the time taken for your Tai Chi change when you practice at work?

Mine is very steady at home, currently 21min (133 Yang long form) but is between 17 and 21 when practiced at lunchtime at work, Depends on how relaxed I am, stressfull day = fast Tai Chi

When I started Tai Chi my form took 13 to 15 min :)

btw, unusually long post someone steal you log in? B)

I thought I would adopt a more approachable and wordy tone since there is all these other forms being presented and meditaitons, etc, I feel that those of us that practice traditional or classical Taoist related arts should share openly some of our daily observations that we feel make a difference in our lives. That chewable meat that makes a practice worthwhile, not just "hopeful" of feeling something someday, but knowledgable faith in the bodies natural wisdom.

Does the time taken for your Tai Chi change when you practice at work?

Usually it takes more time to "settle" into wuji. There is a combination of effects occuring from both the pace of the work, the intersections of communication that people functionally communicate with, and the actual vibration rate of the atmosphere itself. (ie cooked)

Interesting notes on the times of your practice. Sometimes I notice I do feel like performing the form "faster" , which when I feel like that I'll pick it up the tempo, but keep the flow, then change speeds chen style with it, fast slow - slo fast - slow - slower - slower - faster - etc. I been practicing at the same "rate" (slow and slower) for 5 years, Sei Gung just recently told me to vary my speeds and to listen to different tempos while practicing to learn more of the rhythm of the body/form.

The greatest thing about something so simple is the sustrained movement really produces an effect after only 15 minutes. It's like a slow spin that sends your equilibrium messages, but at the same time your sinking further and further into your center of gravity... while the equilibrium gyrates like a top, and the wrists are so relaxed orbiting the spheres and ebbing and flowing w/ the hips. There is no question of visualization when your done, you just DID the form... you body is still visualizing it... your minds eye is empty, and the movement within stillness is apparent, close up. wuji

Spectrum

I thought I would adopt a more approachable and wordy tone

Cool, although I always felt that you were approachable.... o.k. a bit scary ;)

Interesting notes on the times of your practice. Sometimes I notice I do feel like performing the form "faster" , which when I feel like that I'll pick it up the tempo, but keep the flow, then change speeds chen style with it, fast slow - slo fast - slow - slower - slower - faster - etc. I been practicing at the same "rate" (slow and slower) for 5 years, Sei Gung just recently told me to vary my speeds and to listen to different tempos while practicing to learn more of the rhythm of the body/form.

Thanks for sharing, I'm only at 4 years of practice with my Sifu, although I've been "trying" Tai Chi for 20 years. Usually I just get told to go slower but his last instruction to me was to "feel the chi move with the breath" He is very "traditional chinese" with his tai chi instruction, tells us something new ever year or so if we really pester him :)

(He is different with the beginers learning how to do the form)

Cheers

Nice thread - here's my experience today:

My teacher's been encouraging me to do taiji form for 1 hr daily to help my asthma. I find it hard to find the time. Last night I decided it was important. Woke up this am at 5am without an alarm - decided I'd rather sleep than train but something wouldn't let me go back to sleep. Went out front and did the Yang 108 twice without break (~25 min each) followed by a Yang variant that supposedly predates Yang Chen Fu that's about 80 postures and takes ~ 15. All in all I did a bit more than 1 hr straight. I felt much more aware than usual. Very in touch with sounds, sights, the feel of breeze on my skin... In addition, the yi was leading the qi very consistently throughout with fewer lapses than usual. Felt much less sore than I expected in the legs, although there are several deep postures in the "ancient" form as my teacher calls it and they really tired me out a bit by the end. The day has been glorious. Several things have transpired that would normally annoy me and they haven't. My awareness practice has been better than usual at work. I haven't gotten as much shortness of breath as I often do on muggy days like today. I feel very aware and energized.

Good day - hopefully, the trend will continue...

Warmedup w/ dropping into wuji. Just into, not sustained.... repeated various lengths of time in descernding

-Wuji orbiting horizontally in fig 8's. (day 1 chi gung / taiji)

-Pop. Crackle. Ahh.

-Opened up into Wide Horse, feet 45, squat. inhale, ehale, rise. x10

-Wuji

-Climbing the Ladder

-Bear

-Swan

This took about 25-30 min. Addressed my warmup feelings and i'm off to take a walk to the park. Let you know what I come up w/ when I return.

Spectrum

Here's my typical daily practice. Woke up today after 5 hours of sleep. Went into full-lotus (started in half lotus -- then as the 3rd Eye created electromagnetic bliss the body's channels loosened up -- go into full-lotus). start having internal climaxes -- the neck stiffness from my bad pillows goes away. White light fills the brain along with bliss. Have the inner smile kicked in (this is because the inner ear used to be our jawbone for the cerebellum). Start laughing about stuff....

Do the bathroom stuff. Goto Library. Sit in full-lotus. Have a mutual climax with whatever female is nearby.... maybe another one.... maybe some telepathy or some precognition. Bike to work or a cafe -- sit in full-lotus -- more of the same (electrochemical fields of people around me are sucked in and transformed into bliss which then shoots out the third eye back into them).... My right-brain vagus nerve pulsates as the serotonin and melatonin is transduced up into the 3rd Eye, thereby shooting out of the forehead into people around me -- it's just a natural energy flow.

If I eat then the energy channels clog up a bit. If I don't eat then the electromagnetic fields get stronger and just have stronger energy exchanges with those around me. Instead of the right-brain vagus nerve pulsating, the energy concentrates in the central channel but the trance is deeper. So I usually eat.... and then just have fun and usually read a book a day.

Warmedup w/ dropping into wuji. Just into, not sustained.... repeated various lengths of time in descernding

-Wuji orbiting horizontally in fig 8's. (day 1 chi gung / taiji)

-Pop. Crackle. Ahh.

-Opened up into Wide Horse, feet 45, squat. inhale, ehale, rise. x10

-Wuji

-Climbing the Ladder

-Bear

-Swan

This took about 25-30 min. Addressed my warmup feelings and i'm off to take a walk to the park. Let you know what I come up w/ when I return.

Spectrum

It was refreshing. Nice wind whips up about every 5 minutes. Loose dry leaves, whisking about, the whole range of colors. Lots of red still on the branches. Swaying trees. Falling Leaves. Sitting Heron. A sound of traffic I pretend is the ocean.

-Wuji 3 min

-Down Up Front Back Left Right. x1

-Sunrise/Sunset x3

108 Moments of Note: Striking Tiger (arm spiraling)- Golden Cock (one leg)- Fair Maiden (hand spiraling/bracketing) - Snake Darts Tongue. Pores opened 15 min in. Breath Easy. Thread Pearls. Less is More.

-Wuji 3 Min

-Lotus Hands

Notice my hammys are a little tight but have a shop to tend. Lunges against a lab table should work.

Homework for later : Leg swings and 108 Moments and Combinations from my walk.

Spectrum

and usually read a book a day.

I'm most impressed with that... what are you reading if you don't mind me asking?

suddenly i heard and felt a "POP" in the back like quick wind/slap - know anything about this?

Sometimes thing like to pop, don't you think? :)

feeling odd asking, pretty sure of getting a vague answer.(cmon guys)

days ago

suddenly i heard and felt a "POP" in the back like quick wind/slap - know anything about this?

(mingmen not below...)

what was that??

Almost everyday. Usually the result of movement or stretching in some way. Vertebra can literally snap back into place during chi gung / tai chi practice if your rooting and moving from the pelvis/spine. It's amazing stuff, I've had it happen multiple times after messing myself up one way or another.

So was it sore the next day? Or just felt when it happened? Was it at that exact point on your back? The spine has curves to it naturally, there is what is called compression fatigue caused by the natural forces of gravity, and the whole modern ergonomic thing.

Regular practice might be unlocking some previously restricted spaces in you. Opening the body to the empty space inside itself is really an awesome thing. These natural little pops and snaps are signals and signs. If it feels like a sigh of relief... it is. Sometimes two steps back to go one step forward.

PS - on the neck: there is a relationship between the various curves in your back. Thus we have practices like cranio-sacral which highlights these relationships. This is often the case in my own practice I will feel an alignment in my lower back, and the next day coorsponding alignments in my cervical vertebra which I was not addressing directly, but occured as a result of alignment in the lower spine.

Edited by Spectrum

Simple observation - sore as hell today!

Started a weekly (maybe twice weekly) training routine with (stronger and younger) taiji classmate:

2 man set x 3

fixed da lu drill ~ 5 minutes

moving da lu drill ~ 5 minutes

cai/lie drill ~ 5 minutes

taiji self defense techniques ~ 20 minutes

push hands - fixed and moving ~ 20 minutes

---add arm and leg qin na and sweeps ~ 10 minutes

Then had to teach class for 90 minutes.... could barely get through the jian form, legs were jelly.

Hopefully it'll get easier as we do it more regularly.

PS A pop in the back is generally nothing to worry about unless it's associated with pain, numbness, tingling, weakness, or loss of sphincter control. The joints often pop - probably due to nitrogen coming out of solution as movement creates a vacuum in the synovial joint. Tendon snapping can occur as well, particularly around the scapula. I'm not much of a believer that the facet joints subluxate much in the absence of severe trauma - once you've dissected or operated on a spine and seen the inherent stability in the joints due to bony architechture and ligamentous support, it's a tough stretch of the imagination to imagine it popping in and out of anything.... Sure, muscle spasm can cause the joints to malalign slightly, but they don't move very far.

lovely rain words

once you've dissected or operated on a spine and seen the inherent stability in the joints due to bony architechture and ligamentous support, it's a tough stretch of the imagination to imagine it popping in and out of anything....

Holy Crap! I swear things pop in my back sometimes when I stand effecting alignment.

XueSheng : Grappling Mandala = me on MartialTalk : what types of qin na are you doing?

I got to flow a bit before final approach last night. Worked on my practice homework from yesterday.

I've been paying attention to Wudang style single whips. They use it in multiples of directions that Yang style does not. Very Refreshing. See it. ... Try it .... Oh! AaaaHA! It's like finding different ways to route the irrigation system. Can't get enough of the classics.

It's funny you know because when one small thing changes in your body somewhere it effects the rest of the movement, then when you change up the movements, these small things effect the rest of it.

Feeling these familiar circus circuits coming in cyclic directions.

Tonight:

Kicking Bag

Mook Jong (hands)

Cooldown Circle Walking

108 +

Combos:

Golden Cock

Repulse Monkey

Single Whip

Snake Creeps Down

Fair Maiden

Snake Darts Tongue

Till next week,

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

I've rapelled, not bungie jumped. For me the difference is that there is an element of control in rapelling.

I have rapelled, great feeling, never bunjied, I keep hearing it s not that dangerous, looks like a rush. But I'm not really into risking my life anymore. Almost died doing a long free ice climb high in the Tetons.

My daily practice starts with offerings, prayers and mantra(Tibetan Buddhist), seated meditation(1hr.), standing meditation(20 mins.), stretching(15 mins.), Tai Chi(20 mins.), Hsing I(10 mins.- just started learning), Taoist Yoga(not everyday).

I've been doing this every day for about four years. Before that I was working so my practices were similliar but shorter.

I started meditating 35 years ago and still feel like a beginner. Started chi work 25 years ago and have felt first the spot between my legs open, then my arms and palms, full cosmic orbit, legs bottom of feet and lastly the top of my head open. Now when I do Tai Chi I breath through my feet and top of head while orbiting my chi between my lower and upper dantien. I have not ejaculated or felt the need to do so for almost 3 years. My system converts sperm to chi durring my practices. I have been a Buddhist practitioner for 20 years, that has been the center of my spiritual practice since studying with a monk for 4 years.

When not doing spiritual practices, I am a single dad with 2 severely disabled children(12 and 15) which is really also a spiritual practice.

agree. was so impressed by the energy i felt as if falling backwards on my butt :lol:

so happy to have you here.

Sign in to follow this