Josama

Is Manny Pacquiao awakened to some degree?

As you probably know Manny is highly religious. I think he prays before every match. Well on the other hand we know that generally negative emotions make you slower while positive ones make you faster. More than that however it's the decrease in energetic blockages that increases speed drastically. 

In Bruce Lee's case we know that he practiced Taoism and to that I think it's a lot to that that we can account his extraordinary speed and strength. Well I personally find that Manny and Bruce have a lot in common.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade buuuuuut...

Bruce talked about Taoism...but how much did he really practice? He was fast, sure, but a lot of his genius was done in demonstrations. Party pieces, if you will. He died young and was striving for fame and perfection...just an opinion, but I look past the hype.

Manny, no, I don't think so. Culivating, perhaps....so maybe one day.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2

Something that struck me about the recent fight...after it was over, Pacquiao told the interviewer that he thought he won the fight. On the other hand, Mayweather was basically talking up Pacquiao saying what a great fighter he was...

So we saw the person who prays and is humble, act proud and disrespectful when losing, and we saw the supposedly evil (because of domestic abuse issues) cocky selfish dude congratulate the other guy rather than talk himself up and denigrate the loser.

Who is to say what is cultivation and what isn't? It appears to me like Mayweather's behavior was cultivation or a product of it.

Pride can get the best of us, and the higher we rise, the harder we fall. I've cultivated for over 15 years now, but today I realize that I'm more negative about how I view other people than ever...more than normal non-cultivators. So what is true cultivation and who is actually cultivating? Life...nobody said it was easy.

• Like 3

Pacquiao almost seemed disconnected from reality by saying he thought he won the fight.

I do think some sportsmen can get into states of wu wei or flow though. I heard some quotes by Billy Jean King about the states she would get into playing tennis which sound almost mystical, talking about complete oneness with the surroundings and states of ecstasy. Michael Jordan too looked like he was in flow a lot of the time.

• Like 1

The Judge has spoken.

(hopefully this wasn't taken personally...I meant it as something to reflect upon, that I am guilty of as well. We all judge others, but perhaps that is not a virtuous quality to cultivate within us, despite how easy it becomes the longer we assume the role of cultivator. I assume any truly spiritual type would appreciate the reflection provided...unless they disagree with the idea that judging is a form of negativity.)

Edited by Aetherous

If you're a fighter, you haven't yet realized that the only one you're really fighting...is yourself.

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

Q: Manny why are you fighting?

A: For my country, for God, for my race's pride, to help the children.

Q: May, way are you fighting?

A: For the money.

Which answer is more enlightened. lmaooo. ;)

Compared to Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao can easily appear to be enlightened.

Also, to think that the majority of professional athletes are awakened is inaccurate. Athleticism is the realm of the earth. And of the earth realm, I'd say boxing is lowest to the ground. Maybe slightly above cage fighting.

Well, perhaps Mayweather has the Tao of Boxing? Maybe nothing else...

Q: May, way are you fighting?

A: For the money.

Which answer is more enlightened. lmaooo. ;)

Two ways to look at it. Perhaps Pacquio fights to inspire people from poor backgrounds in countries with fewr opportunities. And Mayweather is just "keeping it real"

But anyone can say these statements. If I say I do my job for my god, family etc, does that make me awakened?

• Like 2

Belief in race -- that all people are classifiable into distinct sets, on the basis of which we may judge them, and that one's skin colour is something to be particularly proud of (as opposed to one's individual character) -- is not 'enlightened'

Belief that one's country is anything more than a set of geopolitical boundaries, and that this useless conceptual entity is somehow 'worth fighting for', is not 'enlightened'

Belief in God is not 'enlightened'

Helping children is cool.

(But I'm not sure how he helps children by punching people in the face...?)

Just my opinion, of course.

Yes he is awakened. Almost every professional athlete or artist is awakened. 

Almost every professional athlete or artist is 'awakened'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sportspeople_convicted_of_crimes

So many rapists, abusers, murderers, violent drug addicts, etc...

Art is probably even more of a minefield. Many artists are insane...

Also, to think that the majority of professional athletes are awakened is inaccurate. Athleticism is the realm of the earth. And of the earth realm, I'd say boxing is lowest to the ground. Maybe slightly above cage fighting.

Boxing and cage fighting are primal, sure, but I wouldn't call them 'low'. A boxer has as much potential to be 'awakened' as anyone else. There are some really astute, intelligent, compassionate fighters (or, at least, that is how they appear).

• Like 2

Belief in race -- that all people are classifiable into distinct sets, on the basis of which we may judge them, and that one's skin colour is something to be particularly proud of (as opposed to one's individual character) -- is not 'enlightened'

Belief that one's country is anything more than a set of geopolitical boundaries, and that this useless conceptual entity is somehow 'worth fighting for', is not 'enlightened'

Belief in God is not 'enlightened'

Helping children is cool.

(But I'm not sure how he helps children by punching people in the face...?)

Just my opinion, of course.

Exactly what I was saying lmaooo

Two ways to look at it. Perhaps Pacquio fights to inspire people from poor backgrounds in countries with fewr opportunities. And Mayweather is just "keeping it real"

But anyone can say these statements. If I say I do my job for my god, family etc, does that make me awakened?

Nah, Paq fights for the money, loves to drink, gamble and cheat on his wife, but acts like an innocent god fearing dude for the public, he is as fake as the politicians in the PI. Which incidentally, he is going to become.

Mayweather is 20x more tao, his foot work even reminds me of Bruce...sure May is not a good guy, but he admits as much, ultimately the Tao is amoral in nature.

Edited by noonespecial
  • Like 2

Compared to Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao can easily appear to be enlightened.

Mastering the body is very important in alchemy.

Edited by MooNiNite

Exactly what I was saying lmaooo

Apologies then :blush:

I assumed...shouldn't assume things..

• Like 1

As you probably know Manny is highly religious. I think he prays before every match. Well on the other hand we know that generally negative emotions make you slower while positive ones make you faster. More than that however it's the decrease in energetic blockages that increases speed drastically. 

In Bruce Lee's case we know that he practiced Taoism and to that I think it's a lot to that that we can account his extraordinary speed and strength. Well I personally find that Manny and Bruce have a lot in common.

Religious ≠ Awakened

Prayer ≠ decrease in energetic blockages

Bruce Lee did indeed study Taoism, and he did practice Tai Chi & meditation in his younger years. However, his understanding on the energy side of things isn't the same. For example, he believed that breathing into the lower dantian meant you could lower the center of gravity to change positions faster. He also advises against putting your mind in the lower abdomen. He talks about it on page 169 of "The Tao of Gung Fu", the page is titled "The Question of Psychic Center".

• Like 2

To use the word "Tao" in a sentence like that, what are you denoting? Surely not the true Tao... A dark twist on the meaning of the word.

Letter written by Mayweather's son about his mother's abuse at the hands of his father.

5Q1RzVV.png

Well, the Tao of boxing...nothing else. Of course, hitting his missus is not "Tao" in the universal sense...I was saying he has his "way" as a master of boxing, that is all (having seen a lot of his fights, especially last Saturday's, it is clear this guy is one of the best in the game) Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

"3

Those who wish to embody the Tao should embrace all things. To embrace all things means first that one holds no anger or resistance toward any idea or thing, living or dead, formed or formless. Acceptance is the very essence of the Tao. To embrace all things means also that one rids oneself of any concept of separation; male and female, self and other, life and death. Division is contrary to the nature of the Tao. Foregoing antagonism and separation, one enters in the harmonious oneness of all things."

- the Hua Hu Jing

• Like 1

I dont think Bruce Lee understood the power of energy practices, Much of it was seen as make believe at that time. YouTube really helps..

Edited by MooNiNite

I did mixed martial arts for some time, and I met many nice and intelligent young people with interesting personalities. I met people from the working class as well as upper-class kids. Tough guys with tattoos and shaved heads and anarchist guys with long hair who talked about duality and other "strange" stuff. Some of the professional fighters were incredibly nice guys: People who seemed rich on life, rich on personality.

I grew immensely; personally and spiritually from my training. It's a frightening experience; putting and gloves and sparring with a guy who is much bigger than you. Dancing around on the mat, trading punches while trying to suppress your fear. After some months, the fear was not there anymore. At least not in the same way. And when new and bigger guys came in I would greet them in a friendly way, and then completely outgame them when we grappled.

It's hard to describe exactly how I changed, but I know I did and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. Doing martial arts, and experiencing the personal growth that comes with it, can be such a rewarding spiritual experience.

• Like 1