Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

I am a narcissist, to a significant degree

Ive been studying psychology and this particular personality disorder for some time, and after months of research and observation, conclude that this meme has indeed been incorporated into this unit! How interesting, to wear these clothes...

• Like 1

Namo Amitabha Buddha

Hi Songtsan,

Yes we all have narcissistic traits.

It only becomes a problem when everyone is ready to go,

but they have to wait because their friend can't move from the mirror,haha.

A personality disorder takes many years to develope,usually without insight,

often learnt behaviour as unconscious defence mechanism due to environment.

Even if you were or are narcissistic and this is confirmed after assessment.

It's really only a problem if it effects,work,family or your ability to have meaningful relationships or intermacy.

You have already made the biggest first step to treatment,congratulations you are on the road to recovery.

Most people with personality disorder,are unaware of their disorder

Med students are just as bad they catch everything they study,haha.

Blessings

Humbly juls

• Like 2

Ive been studying psychology and this particular personality disorder for some time, and after months of research and observation, conclude that this meme has indeed been incorporated into this unit! How interesting, to wear these clothes...

I am the same. Narcism is always based on an intense inferiority complex. The only way to heal that is 'Love'. I am trying to do by being of service. I find the moment when you help someone and that person is grateful to you at that moment all your problems vanish.

What you need is Self-Love my friend. Maybe you should consider giving Louise Hay's 'you can heal your life' a read. Very good book on the subject.

Edited by Josama
  • Like 2

Its deeply related to perfectionism. The function is useful, but when over expressed leads to self/other enmity.

• Like 1

I should state that I am not 'that,' but have tendencies to express from that schema often enough to label myself as being 'that' for conversational purposes. I am, in fact, anything I want to be, at anytime, anywhere, yet not even that....its so fun and free to be me...

• Like 1

Hi Songstan,

Perhaps you are, as you say, a narcissist.  Certainly everyone has narcissistic traits and it´s good to recognize this.  But...my understanding is that deeply narcissistic people wouldn´t be aware of themselves that way.  So if you say you´re a narcissist you probably aren´t, at least not in the clinical full-blown "personality disorder" meaning of the term.

Liminal 

I think a good test of the person you are underneath is to get really high or drunk on various substances and film it, and then you can refer back to it later. I might do this at some point. A new type of psychological assessment tool! Day 1: alcohol.... Day 2: mushrooms, day 3: crack/cocaine..Etc....(not necessarily consecutive days). I will call this the 'Crazyfox multiple substance-induced personality assessment indicator' or some such....

Ho Songstan

as others told you already, studying psychology makes people very conscious of several less nice traits that are incorporated in their being, in general that doesn't mean you've got  what is called a personality disorder.

But does teach you something about what makes you tick

I think a good test of the person you are underneath is to get really high or drunk on various substances and film it, and then you can refer back to it later. I might do this at some point. A new type of psychological assessment tool! Day 1: alcohol.... Day 2: mushrooms, day 3: crack/cocaine..Etc....(not necessarily consecutive days). I will call this the 'Crazyfox multiple substance-induced personality assessment indicator' or some such....

eh, that's not really new, I was told that when japanese want to now if someone is really trustworthy at heart, the fill him up with sake until it flows out of his ears.

If he stays likeable, not getting nasty, or violent, or other unnice traits. They deem him to be trusted and ( when he's sober again) they will do business with him.

Just hearsay but wanted to share the story here

• Like 2

Ho Songstan

as others told you already, studying psychology makes people very conscious of several less nice traits that are incorporated in their being, in general that doesn't mean you've got  what is called a personality disorder.

But does teach you something about what makes you tick

eh, that's not really new, I was told that when japanese want to now if someone is really trustworthy at heart, the fill him up with sake until it flows out of his ears.

If he stays likeable, not getting nasty, or violent, or other unnice traits. They deem him to be trusted and ( when he's sober again) they will do business with him.

Just hearsay but wanted to share the story here

Hah this is so true, you cant tell if someone is an ass by how they act when they are drunk. I for my part always end up kissing everyone when I am drunk. Lol, if I were to do that in japanese society then they would probably think that I am gay haha.

Can narcissism be avoided?

Eveb if you stick on a robe, you are making a statement about yourself. Branding...whether you are a supermodel or a priest, what's the difference?

Certainly everyone has narcissistic traits and it´s good to recognize this.  But...my understanding is that deeply narcissistic people wouldn´t be aware of themselves that way.  So if you say you´re a narcissist you probably aren´t, at least not in the clinical full-blown "personality disorder" meaning of the term.

Liminal

Correct.

In the clinical sense, narcissists are so over-whelmed and enmeshed in the turbidity of the 'false self', that they'd be unable to acknowledge their narcissism.  A really excellent book on narcissism is The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists.

I find the term "narcissist" to be problematic.  It's casual meaning differs significantly from its clinical meaning; it's complicated.  And also from the painting of Narcissus staring into his reflection in the pool.  A clinical narcissist is not calmly doing that, they are caught in a muddy whirl pool of their false self and are thrashing around for their lives.

Also, I find it socially problematic to toss around clinical terms - too misunderstood, too incendiary.

Much more useful, ime: the phrases "self-centered" and "other-centered".

• Like 3

In addition to self-centered,there is self-important. Could narcissism be a fault in perception rather than a fault in personality? If the brain is not wired or trained to be continually aware of other 'selves', then all the computing power goes to their own self. Empathy can also be subjective in many ways. For instance, if one has learned all of their greatest lessons through suffering, they may be less inclined to relieve it in others for their own good. I definitely think that narcissists, especially those that are aware of their inclinations, are much too harshly judged in our society.much like other fringe taboo subjects.

Based on the recent threads you've been starting, I doubt you're actually a narcissist, in the sense of having a personality disorder. It sounds more likely that you're going through some kind of dark night of the soul or a period of psychological integration, particularly of the shadow. In these phases of psychological integration, which are efforts of the psyche to counteract prior disintegration (from drugs, trauma, crisis, etc.) negative facets of your own (and everyone else's) humanity seem to flare up and your "I" shuffles rapidly through different identities to try to figure out who or what it is. If you're a little self-obsessed right now, it's okay - you're a plenty interesting person and you do get a pass, like everyone else, to be super interested in yourself for a while. It'll balance out after the storm passes.

Edit: Filling your head up with drugs during these phases will only extend the duration of your confusion. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and it may even seem rational to repeatedly shatter and alter and break down a psyche that is in the midst of apparent self-betrayal, but nay. Tis a bad solution that only furthers the causes of the current identity crisis. Try to get your social life in order, if it's not already. Good friends are like little miracle workers for those afflicted with confusion. Stay away from other psychologically disintegrating people, even if they "get you" better. Ya'll will just drive each other mad.

Edited by Yasjua
  • Like 1

Everyone is narcissistic to an extent. But yeah, I hear what you are saying. I keep coming back to it and studying it and finding amazing similarities between my self observations of my own tendencies and the Wikipedia description...if you haven't read the whole description there and just have a superficial view of what the disorder implies, check it out more. Notice though that I said I was a narcissist to 'a significant degree' meaning it function is expressed in me more than the norm. I am by no means a full-blown version. One of these days I will go through all of my various diagnoses, both self-diagnosed and professionally diagnosed, and copy/paste the entire descriptions and highlight the specific attributes which I have noted without a doubt. In keeping  in true form with my experimentalism, I intend to perform YouTube videos of myself under various states of intoxication in extremis, and let everyone be the judge of whether they 'should do business with me' as per the above mentioned discussions. This will be the prototype model for the new dating site I am going to set up here on Daobums...drugs don't make people crazy, they were already crazy before that, and the drugs just brought it out! ;)

Edited by Songtsan

of these days I will go through all of my various diagnoses, both self-diagnosed and professionally diagnosed, and copy/paste the entire descriptions and highlight the specific attributes which I have noted without a doubt. In keeping  in true form with my experimentalism, I intend to perform YouTube videos of myself under various states of intoxication in extremis, and let everyone be the judge of whether they 'should do business with me' as per the above mentioned discussions.

You are just figuring yourself out mayne. It's a convoluted process. Self-obsessed? Yes. Narcissist - sorry, but no.

drugs don't make people crazy, they were already crazy before that, and the drugs just brought it out!

/No

Edited by Yasjua

Disagree...they inflame tendencies.. Like pouring gasoline on a fire, they can expose the root addictions/attachments. I bet I have more drug experience than anyone else on this forum. I have tried quite a long list of things and lived to tell about it: crack, heroin, cocaine, opium, Marijuana, LSD, DXM, psilocybin, 4-aco-dmt, DMT, DMT-5-meo, 2 CB, 2-ct-7, AMT, 5-meo-Dipt, LSAs, nitrous oxide, oxycodone, MXE, salvia, amanita muscarina, MAOIs, foxy methoxy, meth, a number of herbs with psychoactive properties (kava kava, Damiana, catnip, basically anything that alters consciousness)... I have put my body through hell and back. I've even tried eating hot-peppers till tears were streaming down my face (very shamanic if done right); I intend to try real Ayahuasca, peyote, and Ibogaine at some point, but I am basically done. Getting too old to keep bringing toxins in like that...I plan to end my psychonaut days with an Ibogaine experience and be done with those wonderful poisons...Ibogaine is supposed to cure addictions. I will write a book about my experiences one day. I neither condone nor not condone this insane path I have traveled; those who are so inclined will have already put themselves on this road. It enflames insanity if it is already there. An already balanced individual will not have a bad time, only those with hidden turmoils would run into trouble with this way. I guess I am an old-school Shaman lookalike who likes to cheat my way into altered states...I have had some success with meditation, definitely gotten to first jhana, maybe touched upon second, who knows. I intend to be clean- its in the cards....soon. I might even enter an inpatient rehab and get that experience... I am an experience chaser. I can't wait to live in a monastery... Just waiting to get off parole...

• Like 1

I have learned to embrace suffering though. I love to experience intense tapas. Going to do Sun Dance ceremony one day....

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Though you soar like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down," declares the LORD.

Even if Babylon ascends to the heavens and fortifies her lofty stronghold, I will send destroyers against her," declares the LORD.

The Ego cannot control the foundation on which it builds itself. So try as it might, to build itself up to rival God, it will eventually come crashing down. The ego cannot control the universe as much as it would like. There must be some sort of surrender and knowing that it is apart of something much greater than itself.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this