Lataif

why I think Taoism is a limited understanding of Life . . .

Taoism (as far as I'm aware) has no comprehensive insight into the nature of Music.

To my mind, Music is second only to romantic relationship as a comprehensive, differentiated clue to what we humans are all about . . .

Edited by Lataif

Dude - I've been studying music and Taoism for 15 years at least.

I can assure you that Taoism is based on the alchemical secret of music.

but the secret is difficult for Westernized minds to "unlearn."

http://innersoundqigong.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-devils-interval-and-pre-established.html

Here's an overview of my research.

It takes a while to comprehend - it's Ph.D. level analysis.

So take your time and just ask me any questions.

But I'll give you a basic summary - it is very simple yet very radical.

Yang is the Perfect Fifth music interval as 2:3.

Yin is the Perfect fourth music interval as 3:4.

In the West we learn those intervals as logarithmic tuning but that assumes a commutative logic.

Taoism is based on complementary opposites and this is revealed by the origins of the Perfect Fifth/Fourth music intervals.

In reality - based on natural resonance empirically true harmonics - the Perfect Fifth is the geometric value C to F as a subharmonic and C to G as a harmonic - same arithmetic ratio - 2:3 as subharmonic as 3:2 as overtone - but the geometric values change from C to F and then C to G. So that violates the commutative principle.

My blog link gives the details of this - it is a very simple yet very radical expose - so most people don't even notice the issue.

Yet it is the secret of the  Tai Chi resonance from music harmonics.

• Like 7

I was going to ask , would not that have to do with one's understanding of 'Taoism'  , but  ......       carry on     :)

ED; re the thread topic. 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Simple questions about Music that Taoism seems to have no specific answer for: why do some people like the experience of Frank Sinatra while others like the experience of the Sex Pistols (?)  What is it about the respective experiences that they like (?) Specifically . . .

Edited by Lataif

Simple questions about Music that Taoism seems to have no specific answer for: why do some people like the experience of Frank Sinatra while others like the experience of the Sex Pistols (?)  What is it about the respective experiences that they like (?) Specifically . . .

You appear to be searching for nothing and finding it and seem quite satisfied.

It's like trolling your own post.

• Like 4

Re:

-----

"why do some people like the experience of Frank Sinatra while others like the experience of the Sex Pistols (?)  What is it about the respective experiences that they like (?)"

-----

Yes - even a con job, or even somnabulism, can be examined very well via taoist thinking, yinyang thinking, etc.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Simple questions about Music that Taoism seems to have no specific answer for: why do some people like the experience of Frank Sinatra while others like the experience of the Sex Pistols (?) What is it about the respective experiences that they like (?) Specifically . . .

Sort of an interesting question in regards to astrology and 5 elements. Maybe all those wild times were just a result of my dominant metal phase.

<snip>why do some people like the experience of Frank Sinatra while others like the experience of the Sex Pistols<snip>

Or both?
  • Like 1

Simple questions about Music that Taoism seems to have no specific answer for: why do some people like the experience of Frank Sinatra while others like the experience of the Sex Pistols (?) What is it about the respective experiences that they like (?) Specifically . . .

To paraphrase Lao Tzu...

Horses for courses.

• Like 1

Okay, but that's very general.

May I offer an analogy (?)

Let's say that one person likes potato chips . . . and another likes ice cream.  What is it about their respective experiences that they like (?)

Sure, you can say "horses for courses".  But you can also say that one person likes salty things . . . and the other likes sugary things.

Why doesn't Taoism say something equally specific about musical taste (?)

Perhaps people with more yang resonate better with the Sex Pistols, or perhaps people use the Sex Pistols as a way of expressing their yang. I'm sure you can explain it through Taoist principles if you wanted to. 

• Like 1

Yin and Yang are too general to explain the variety of musical experience. The Five Elements are no better.

Taoism simply doesn't understand Music in the way that people actually experience it. 

Humans have the capacity to experience different Music in different ways. And that capacity is important to us because it reflects various specific ways that we manifest the possibilities of the Absolute as individuals.

Taoism is tone deaf to this . . .

I like potato chips AND ice cream!

(This thread is making me hungry...)

• Like 3

Yin and Yang are too general to explain the variety of musical experience. The Five Elements are no better.

Taoism simply doesn't understand Music in the way that people actually experience it. 

Humans have the capacity to experience different Music in different ways. And that capacity is important to us because it reflects various specific ways that we manifest the possibilities of the Absolute as individuals.

Taoism is tone deaf to this . . .

Well Taoism mostly goes for the general principles behind things, if you want specific details you might have to look into other disciplines.

But the general principles generally can explain quite a lot

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/p/pod/dod-idx/yin-yang-theory-in-sound-and-music-a-first-exploration.pdf?c=icmc;idno=bbp2372.2012.111

Maybe you can clear up for me what this thread is about, Brian?

Absolutely!!!

The tao includes potato chips and Frank Sinatra and The Sex Pistols and ice cream but isn't any of them and really doesn't care about any of them in particular. The OP seems of the opinion that Taoism not speaking directly to every conceivable topic in the universe is a profound limitation whereas I see it as a "well, duh" kind of thing.

:)

I'm gonna go get something to eat...

• Like 2

Absolutely!!!

The tao includes potato chips and Frank Sinatra and The Sex Pistols and ice cream but isn't any of them and really doesn't care about any of them in particular. The OP seems of the opinion that Taoism not speaking directly to every conceivable topic in the universe is a profound limitation whereas I see it as a "well, duh" kind of thing.

:)

I'm gonna go get something to eat...

You are truly the messiah!

• Like 1

I have some Chinese music in my collection.  Anyone want to hear some?

exactly.  perfect answer.

that is how taoism deals with music.

• Like 1

(how could I resist ) 

• Like 1

and these chips are making me thirsty