Taomeow

Wei wu wei/Anarch users, please post your mod-of-your-thread credo/intent

Some technical problems may be solved by non-technical, human methods I hope -- we're still human after all, not fully computerized in our interactions even if we use computers to interact here.

So, one technical problem that arises when certain human freedoms are exercised is that it may either interfere with what someone else perceives as freedom of expression, or create a complex interplay of expressions of needs that don't always coincide and occasionally mutually exclude each other's satisfaction.  Some needs whose satisfaction is sought via computerized medium simply can't be met because they are unrealistic; while others can't be met due to the default settings of the medium.  An example of the former would be, e.g., the need for neat and tidy, law-and-order, predictable, custom-run forums.  No one can have such a forum, even an owner, because if that's what it is, it's not a forum -- it may be a government site where you fill out forms and can't deviate from the standard, or an online banking site or suchlike.  Or an online shop where you come for specific goods and the form won't let you buy a white elephant if the seller offers office supplies.  

Those virtual pages are the only ones that are always neat and tidy and predictable (well, at least if you're not trying to buy anything from Chinese sites as I have.)  The opposite need that can't be satisfied at a moderated forum is no moderation.   Experience has taught us that unmoderated forums degrade and disintegrate and simply disappear.  So a viable forum has to find an interplay of order and chaos that will suit its purposes best.  This is often done via trial and error. 

This writing has the goal of proposing the practice of announcing the OP/Thread Owner Intent-in-Moderation for the custom-moderated sections in the hope that it will help minimize errors in using this feature.

The goal of humanizing those interactions that can't (or shouldn't) be computerized is to minimize the number of unpleasant surprises while maximizing the enjoyment of engaging.  I believe things should be clarified at the get-go toward this goal, it's not always necessary to just make something impossible to do technically, it can be done via other methods -- of which a declaration of intent may be one.  If I intend to use a section of a forum that has such and such rules and premises and grants such and such rights and opportunities, I can announce in advance my clear intent of how exactly I intend to use them.  This gives me an opportunity to think ahead about what I myself want or don't want to do (clarifying my intent to myself) and, by clarifying this intent for others, spare them as many potential unpleasant surprises as possible.

Toward this goal I propose that every member with Owner Permissions for his or her own threads make a statement of sorts regarding how he or she intends to take advantage of these permissions.  Here's mine.

When I open a thread, think of it as a home I open to guests.  I put a linen tablecloth on the table, arrange my best plates, put a fork to the left and a knife to the right of each and chopsticks for those who prefer them, arrange  crystal wine glasses and light a few candles in a silver chandelier, and serve what I've cooked.  You the guests are welcome to eat or not eat what I serve.  You can bring your own potluck dish that may complement mine or surpass it in flavor and richness, or add the dessert I've overlooked.  Guests are allowed to get loud, laugh, cry, talk nonsense, dance, sit quietly in a corner with one of my books, pet my cat, drink, smoke, sing, play musical instruments, order pizza if there's not enough food on the table, and so on. 

They are not, however, allowed to come in and announce that my linen tablecloth is obsolete and ridiculous and shows I'm putting on airs.  They don't call my best plates tacky and don't examine each of them for cracks and stains to point out and gloat about.  They don't throw the food offered either at me or at my other guests.  They don't bring a pizza pie for the purpose of smashing it into my or any of my other guests' faces.  They don't kick my beloved cat, don't write graffiti on my walls, don't drag in illegal substances, don't urinate on the rug in the living-room, don't shit in my Chinese porcelain or my Italian ceramic bowls and don't declare them unworthy of better treatment.  They either enjoy themselves without offending the hostess and other guests and neighbors, or they go to someone else's party. 

If they come to mine and do any of the above, I immediately call the cops.  I am the cops I call in this house that is the thread I opened, mind you.  The cops gently handcuff and remove the intruder.  The cops don't negotiate -- they aren't the court of law.  There's nothing the intruder can say at this point that will stop them.  Not even "I'm sorry."  Yes, you may be sorry, so don't do it at your next party if you are -- but you have already ruined, or attempted to ruin, this one, and you can't take it back.  Off you go. 

At any thread/virtual home I build.  Either you are a dear, honorable guest and are treated as a guest, as a friend I am excited to spend time with and grateful to for having come.  Or you are an intruder and are treated as an intruder.  BIG difference.  I hope every adult here can tell the difference between a guest and an intruder.  So can I.  

These are my moderation intentions for purposes of my own threads.  Do come and enjoy the party if it's a party to your liking.  DO NOT come as an intruder.  And if you do, I fully intend to throw you out.  I don't set an ambush in my home, or a trap, I don't invite you for to throw you out.  I only throw you out if you behave as an intruder.  And, like I said, any reasonable adult can tell the difference, don't expect me not to notice the difference or do nothing about it.  

Now as to other guests whose conversations with the intruder got interrupted and are hanging in midair due to the intruder having been removed by the cops.  The hostess is not responsible.  She can't stop you from talking to an intruder.  She can't blame you for it either, in fact she may applaud you for trying to reason with the intruder in an attempt to turn him or her into a guest.  But should you fail, she has no way to unsay what you said to each other.  You the guest, however, can.  You can preface or append it with an edited-in note (e.g., "this was a conversation that took place between me and a participant who can no longer participate because the OP deemed his further contributions to her thread unacceptable, so any untidy/illogical/out of context statements are the outcome of this event unfortunate for all involved"); or just accept the fact that it's a forum, not a government site where every form is neat and tidy, leave it be, and move on.  (Just like in any other section, please note, not just this one.  People edit their posts, remove them, quotes are left hanging, etc..  That's the price to pay for the existence of the forum, because, as I said, if it's completely orderly it can't exist as a forum, and if it's completely disorderly it can't exist as a forum.)  Or delete the conversation -- every guest can still take back whatever dish they brought to the potluck that they feel wasn't appreciated properly, and the hostess can't and won't stop them, though she will regret it if this does happen.  

Anyone who wishes to make their own statement of OP/thread mod intent is cordially invited to make such a statement, toward clarity and responsibility shared by all.     

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 10

I'm all for freedom of expression. But there have been cases where certain individuals have attempted to "snipe" topics to "prove they/their system/teacher/<fill in the blank> is better". It becomes very clear after a few interactions when such things happen. Another kind is where there are attempts to elicit emotional responses and ad hominem, etc. 

I think while this is a powerful ability (to moderate one's own posts), anyone abusing these powers will soon end up being "shunned" because people won't take the trouble to bother with their posts/threads (if the OP doesn't demonstrate integrity in how he/she handles things). So, in all, I think the Dao will work itself out...this way we are guaranteed a better process of enhancement as well as elimination. It's like separating the fluff from the stuff...what remains will be "stuff", the "fluff" will fly away :)

• Like 2

Well said!

I doubt I will know my intention for threads I start until I start them. Sometimes I will simply invite discussion and offer ownership to others. Sometimes I will simply plant a seed and watch it grow, knowing that its life will be determined not just by the shaping of its inner components, but by the winds of time. If I plant it at the right time and place, perhaps it will grow the way I wish. If I don't, then perhaps it will be trampled by a wandering tribe of monkeys, or transplanted by someone who desires to have it grow in another place.

I don't imagine I will aim to shape and control the way the seed grows, as that would require me to attach to it, and to remain present to maintain this shaping and controlling... but anything is possible.

• Like 3

I intend to set an example of respect and integrity with hopes of improving both within the community, as a means of maintaining humanity and the freedoms that come along with these 'permissions'.

While i will reserve the critical edge of my statements, this is similar to maintaining sharp tools so that they continue to do their job well.  If i come off as too intense, overbearing, or outright wrong, i expect the same respect that others call me out to re-examine my post(s) and figure any misunderstandings and assess them appropriately.

Setting the example.

• Like 2

I originally opted for owner permissions, but now don't see the need.  I won't be using it.

I will not be deleting, or editing the responses of anyone who responds to conversations I initiate.

If a post breaks forum rules, I'll let the mods deal with that.  I find the old system isn't broken, so no fixing is required.

The time for me to control my words, is before I express them and I struggle with that just fine on my own.

The time for me to control the words of others is never.  In fact I am grateful when abusive, misogynistic, racist assholes spout off freely.  It affords me instant recognition that I don't want to spend excess energy in that direction. 

I don't want the racists, the woman haters, the abusers to go underground.  They can fester and breed there more effectively.  Let's keep it all in the light where it's more readily identified and dealt with...

• Like 7

Taomeow,

It was a stroke of genius on your part!

I'm still testing version 2.0~rc1 and I'll let you know when I have it ready for release.

However, I very much doubt that I could improve on your own policy.

_/\_

• Like 1

After a little bit of fine-tuning (and 100% sucessful testing) I'm very happy to announce that I've released v3.0 (final).

9673982217_e8c0055201_z.jpg

:)

• Like 1