Sign in to follow this  
LDiR

Beginning

After having read the texts traditionally associated with Taoism I find myself desiring guidance on how to go about cultivating Tao. I have a few homebrewed techniques for meditation, but none of them truly bring about energy changes. They help to relieve negative emotions and they relieve stress, but nothing profound. I went through the list of books, articles, etc. that are pinned on this page, but that's overwhelming for someone who wants a starting point.

My question is what books (because I can't afford trips to seminars at the moment) could people here recommend as starting points for meditation techniques, Chi Kung exercises, and Tai Chi.

Also, I'm trying to adopt the most preferred spelling methods for this forum, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of my adoptions.

Thanks in advance.

The Secret Teachings of the Tao Te Ching has helped me immensely. Defines terms like jing, the three Tan tien, microcosmic orbit, and more. Gives step by step instructions for various practices. A great resource for beginners or intermediate practitioners.

After reading it, you will understand most of the posts here.

Most, but not all :D

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

One of the most profound books I've read recently is To Be Human by J Krishnamurti. His ideas are a bit radical but very much consistent with Daoist philosophy and not restricted to any particular method, practice, or system.

Tai Chi is a good place to start as is standing and sitting.

Have you checked resources where you live.

Best to have a teacher who can correct you and answer your questions.

Thank you all for the information.

mYTHmAKER I hadn't looked for anything locally in a few years, so didn't think there was anything until I searched on the web and found the Dhanwantari Center, which just opened this year in June. Pretty exciting, I've emailed about availability of classes after the ones going on now have finished out.

In the meantime I'll check out some of the great books that have been mentioned here.

Thanks again!

-LDiR

Sign in to follow this