Apech

Liquid mercury found under Mexican pyramid could lead to king's tomb

An archaeologist has discovered liquid mercury at the end of a tunnel beneath a Mexican pyramid, a finding that could suggest the existence of a king’s tomb or a ritual chamber far below one of the most ancient cities of the Americas.

Mexican researcher Sergio Gómez announced on Friday that he had discovered “large quantities” of liquid mercury in a chamber below the Pyramid of the Feathered Serpent, the third largest pyramid of Teotihuacan, the ruined city in central Mexico.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/24/liquid-mercury-mexican-pyramid-teotihuacan

Interesting in view of use of mercury in ancient Chinese tombs.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 3

That is interesting. How is the mercury used in ancient Chinese tombs, for what purpose? What quality does mercury have that could possibly be of physical or metaphysical value under the ground, collected and secreted there? It reacts to temperature - I wonder if there is any movement of the mercury within the tunnels with temperature change. (Although it would have to be a forced temperature change since this would be happening underground).

Are you drawing any metaphysical parallels in your mind between the burial practices of the two societies?

Or this....is there any possible physical way the mercury pooled on its own due to the construction, or could there even be an alchemical reason for a change to mercury?

• Like 1

That is interesting. How is the mercury used in ancient Chinese tombs, for what purpose? What quality does mercury have that could possibly be of physical or metaphysical value under the ground, collected and secreted there? It reacts to temperature - I wonder if there is any movement of the mercury within the tunnels with temperature change. (Although it would have to be a forced temperature change since this would be happening underground).

Are you drawing any metaphysical parallels in your mind between the burial practices of the two societies?

Or this....is there any possible physical way the mercury pooled on its own due to the construction, or could there even be an alchemical reason for a change to mercury?

Some connections?

http://www.livescience.com/22454-ancient-chinese-tomb-terracotta-warriors.html

Buried deep under a hill in central China, surrounded by an underground moat of poisonous mercury, lies an entombed emperor who's been undisturbed for more than two millennia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_alchemy

The term Neidan can be divided into two parts: Nei, meaning inner, and Dan, which refers to alchemy, elixir, and cinnabar (mercury). Neidan uses techniques such as: composed meditation techniques, visualization, breathing and bodily posture exercises. Breathing exercises were used to preserve jing or "life essence" and bodily postures were used to improve qi or "energy" flow in the body. Neidan comprises the elixir from the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the cultivation of substances already present in the body, in particular the manipulation of three substances in the body known as the "Three Treasures".

Edited by Apech
  • Like 1

Mercury was used to simulate the hundred rivers, the Yangtze and Yellow River, and the great sea, and set to flow mechanically.  (Wikipedia article on the tomb of the Qin Emperor)

However, mercury is very important in alchemy and alchemical symbolism.

The key is actually in the importance of Cinco de Mayo, which is far more than an excuse to drink beer and eat nachos.  You probably think that I am joking, but I'm not, though I am being highly speculative.

Edit: I guess I was preparing my reply while Apech was posting his.

Edited by Zhongyongdaoist

Corrected Apech's link which didn't seem to work:

Yeah, the link is bad but I did find the article.  Interesting.

Very interesting but so far no connection has been drawn other than its supposed use to create the illusion of an underground river.

Well, there have already been numerous postulated links between ancient Shang Chinese and the Olmecs...just in general.  In particular, it has been speculated that such migrant Chinese may have helped influence or found the Olmec civilization, and perhaps extending into the Mayans following them?

1000.jpg

The mercury may have symbolized an underworld river or lake, Gómez postulated, an idea that resonated with Annabeth Headreck, a professor at the University of Denver and the author of works on Teotihuacan and Mesoamerican art.

1000.jpg

A royal tomb could lend credence to the theory that the city, which flourished between 100-700AD, was ruled by dynasties in the manner of the Maya, though with far less obvious flair for self-glorification.

grave1.jpg

410656.jpg

Qin Shi Huangdi, the First Emperor of a unified China in the third century BC, had begun preparations for the next best thing to an endless life on Earth. He would continue his cosmic rule from the spirit world, and his underground tomb would be a palace for the afterlife, complete with its own army of life-size clay soldiers.

CW0115_Feature_Mercury_F2_300m.jpg

Han dynasty historian Sima Qian, writing in second century BC, hadn’t been exaggerating after all. He claimed that 700,000 men had worked on the emperor’s tomb, constructing entire palaces, towers and scenic landscapes through which which the emperor’s spirit might roam.

Qian: ‘Mercury was used to fashion the hundred rivers, the Yellow river and the Yangtze river, and the seas in such a way that they flowed’.

In the 1980s Chinese researchers found that the soil in the burial mound above the tomb contains mercury concentrations way above those elsewhere in the vicinity. Now some archaeologists working on the site believe that the body of the First Emperor may indeed lie amidst vast puddles of the liquid metal.

So, this intercontinental "coincidence" would just be yet another unique similarity/possible actual connection to add to the growing stack...

In 1972 the late Dr. Hendon M. Harris, Jr. made a startling discovery. While searching for Chinese collectibles he came across an ancient Asian map book containing a world map showing a land mass labeled "Fu Sang" to the east of China, land that we today call America.

my family owns the Dr. Hendon Harris, Jr. Map Collection. The world maps in our collection are known as Tian Xia Tu in Chinese or Ch’onhado in Korean.

Even in Korean map books, this style map was produced in Chinese. The maps show both North and South America.

“Tian Xia Tu” is written at the top and in Chinese literally means “(Everything) Under Heaven Map” which is understood by Chinese to mean “the whole earth.”

I had spoken at the Library of Congress in 2005 and was invited to speak there again in 2008 after the release of my book Secret Maps of the Ancient World. That speech was advertised on the internet and in Washington, D.C. newspapers but was suddenly cancelled without explanation. My inside sources tell me that the cancellation came from “high up.”

However, now that I have laid the proofs on their lap and yet they are still presenting this Ricci map as the “First Map in Chinese Showing the Americas” I cannot help but conclude that The Library of Congress is purposely hiding evidence that Asians beat Columbus to America.

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

Corrected Apech's link which didn't seem to work:

Thanks I've fixed it in the OP now ... no idea how that happened.