Nikolai1

On rain dancing: member poll

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is the amount of rain...

• More in the dancing years
    • The same, regardless of the dancing

Really interested in your views on the following scenario:

So it's 2000 years ago, the South Pacific Islands, and the rain dancer is an important member of society. One young thinker decides to try and measure the effect of the dancing. Over twenty years he asks the rain dancer to dance a year, then not dance a year. At the end he compares the amount of rain in ten years of dancing and ten years of no dancing.

What does he find? Please answer in the poll above.

Many thanks !

Edited by Nikolai1

The question seems hypothetical, and a scenario with too many variables - but if it is really a question of whether or not "rain dancing" works, or if human being can be so with reality that they are knowing weather (or anything) in advance and influencing weather (or anything) while it happens, then yes - I have extensive experience and observation of this, and so must many many others.

-VonKrankenhaus

i couldn't - how do we know that during that time there wasn't an unusual weather pattern that throws the data off? How do we know if that one "rain dancer" is even an effective one? You don't say, but they could be the only one left on island after 20 years of bad predictions and no effect!

So the hypothetical situation stopped me personal from voting - but the topic is an excellent one, and I do see that, dancing or no dancing, human beings do have relationship with weather and all phenomena like this. I have seen it happen in multiple situations involving different people and weather dramatically changing, etc.

-VonKrankenhaus

Ok it wasn't 20 years of testing but 2000 years, what wold the results have shown? Also please tell us more about people influencing the weather, because you a right, that is the gist of this thread.

Edited by Nikolai1
  • Like 1

One time I am walking home on the road, and it is raining hard. I stop under an awning of building and 7 yr old & 5 yr old are there staying out of the rain. 7 yr old finally says we don't have to walk in the rain anymore, and she will use her mind to change this rain. She describes what will happen - clouds will part, sky will become lighter, and clouds will blow away to East direction. She steps out into rain, looks up, and over the next 3 minutes, what she says happens exactly. Rain stops, and people go out from awning and walk home dry.

Soon as I got home, maybe 10-15 mins later, I close front door and look outside to see rain start again just like before.

I have seen many incidents like this.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

My son did that when he was a kid, his classmates asked him for it when the class was going for an outing, and occasionally, i've asked him too. On holidays. He then walked to a special place on a high dune to do a rain-dance.

Funny thing was, he's never troubled by rain, its just wet he says, but he didn't mind doing it for people he liked.

and i didn't vote either,  when you want to have a good crop it is not the amount of rain that matters, but when and how it comes down.

Rain at the wrong moment will let your crop rot, at the good moment it will let it ripen and fill out. A hard rain early will spoil the tender new growth, but a soft rain will nourish it.

Edited by blue eyed snake
  • Like 1

I voted.  Y'all can pretty much state how I voted.

I don't do the rain dances but then I haven't been getting any rain either.  Go figure.

• Like 1

I voted more, but its probably due to cognitive bias's, ie stricter recording on rain dance years, a bit slacker on non dance years, so the data is ever so bias'd towards rain dancing works.  Since its basically 50/50 a little bias, not recording one or two late night rains or a couple tiny downfalls can make all the difference. 

Without strict controls, studies point where the measurer wants them to, conciously or not. 

• Like 2

I still find it fasciinating to think I write to you in Florida Marblehead...you know there's still a fair bit of snow in my backyard. Same planet, different lives.

• Like 1

I still find it fasciinating to think I write to you in Florida Marblehead...you know there's still a fair bit of snow in my backyard. Same planet, different lives.

Yeah, it wasn't too many years ago we couldn't do that.

I have already had a few days with temperatures above 90 degrees F.

And we haven't had snow here for maybe 10 years.

But a strong thunderstorm is headed into my area at this very moment.  Could have strong winds and possibly a tornado.

Thelerner - but purely empirically speaking you think it's 50-50 in both conditions?

Yes, but I'd like to be wrong. 

In my normal state of mind I think yes, its 50-50.  Yet when I talk to some people who's views of the world are are very dimensional, who've spoken and lived with extraordinary people and for a while I change my mind; thinking yes the rain dance is possible and there is more to to the world then meets the eye. 

Well, the severe weather passed to the south of me and I ended up with just a little bit of rain.  I guess I didn't dance vigorously enough.

Hi Marblehead

I have already had a few days with temperatures above 90 degrees F.

And we haven't had snow here for maybe 10 years.

I once saw this photo of Hemingway working at his desk, in some old waterside cabin in the Everglades. This is how I picture you. Using your Daoist arts, you're somehow managing to do all this on a typewriter.

Hi Marblehead

I once saw this photo of Hemingway working at his desk, in some old waterside cabin in the Everglades. This is how I picture you. Using your Daoist arts, you're somehow managing to do all this on a typewriter.

Please hold to the image.  It's not my reality but it's a nice picture.