Sign in to follow this  
Britneyy

Strategic Sorcery Course

A quick look and it seems to be trying to attract people that want to make money  ( at least they seem to be able to attract money - $150 a pop ? )

Not to mention the cost of 'supplies'   for any 'spells' ;

(From their site ;) 

" For instance it is the traditional day to bless your house by consecrating chalk and writing the year and the initials C+M+B above the door. Of course the CMB stand for Caspar Melchior and Balthazar but also has the meaning of "Christus Mansionem Benedictat" (Christ bless this home).

It is normally done in this pattern: 20 C+M+B 11

It is also a good day to make a Three Wise Man cocktail:

1 part Scotch Whisky (recommend a blended Scotch for Coctails. Johnnie Walker Red or Black. Green, Gold and Blue should never be mixed with anything else.
1 part Tennessee Whiskey (e.g., Jack Daniels).
1 part Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey (e.g., Jim Beam White or Black Label).
Serve either neat or on the rocks, according to taste.

Variations include:

Three Wise Men go Hunting, which is the recipe above with the addition of Wild Turkey Bourbon.
Three  Men and a Baby: recipe above, add milk. (YUCK!)
Four Horsemen: above recipe with the addition of 1 part Jose Cuervo "

• Like 1

It is also a good day to make a Three Wise Man cocktail:

1 part Scotch Whisky (recommend a blended Scotch for Coctails. Johnnie Walker Red or Black. Green, Gold and Blue should never be mixed with anything else.

1 part Tennessee Whiskey (e.g., Jack Daniels).

1 part Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey (e.g., Jim Beam White or Black Label).

Serve either neat or on the rocks, according to taste.

Variations include:

Three Wise Men go Hunting, which is the recipe above with the addition of Wild Turkey Bourbon.

Three  Men and a Baby: recipe above, add milk. (YUCK!)

Four Horsemen: above recipe with the addition of 1 part Jose Cuervo "

Hmnn, 3 Wise Men .. .. sounds more like One Wasted Practitioner.  Honestly I don't think mixing 3 hard liquors would make a particularly better drink then just drinking any of them straight.  But what do I know about the ways of magic.  :)

Beyond that.. if you take the course, let us know what its like. 

There are some books

you can't judge by there drinks.

edit> I keep reading this as Strategic Sorcery Curse, which would put it in another light.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Hmnn, 3 Wise Men .. .. sounds more like One Wasted Practitioner.  Honestly I don't think mixing 3 hard liquors would make a particularly better drink then just drinking any of them straight.  But what do I know about the ways of magic:)

Beyond that.. if you take the course, let us know what its like. 

There are some books

you can't judge by there drinks. (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

As someone with some familiarity with the first (Johnny Walker with Jack Daniels?  One mismatched pair of Jacks), and a lot of familiarity with the second, it is a perfectly bad waste of good spirits.

Since I don't have much need of beginners material in magic and haven't been since before most of these internet "experts" started to study, I can't comment on the value of this fellow's course or the quality of his books.

This was posted a while back by someone who doesn't seem to be active here anymore:

I have 2 of Jason Millers books (including the financial sorcery one), and I have taken his year-long strategic sorcery course. The guy absolutely knows what he is talking about. His background is quite deep, in terms of both study and practice. He has a depth of familiarity with many different traditions and he does a great job of synthesizing them: not in a way that makes a mish-mash of them, but rather a view that sees the basic patterns in magical practice, the strengths and weaknesses of various traditions, and is able to put together a full-spectrum magical approach that can be carried into any domain or symbol-set/tradition. His year-long course is the place where he really lays all this out. I recommend it highly. I took it a number of years ago, and I think the price has gone up somewhat since then, but I still think it is very worthwhile. If you are interested in magical practice, then you will easily spend many times that much money (not to mention time) getting various books that will only give you one tiny nugget of the over-all picture that Miller provides. He really provides the best foundation that I have come across.

I bought the financial book after i took the course, and it seemed to be just a pale rehash of his basic ideas applied to money issues, maybe with a few particular techniques thrown in. While I basically agree with his position that as a householder I should learn to take control of my money issues, I also feel like he has strayed a little too far into materialism. I just have the sense that he has sold-out a little bit. Its not for me to judge really: its his path, but I get that sense. Also I dont like his politics, but that is mostly irrelevant to the value of the techniques he offers.

Good luck.

Edit: Put apostrophe in "fellow's course"

Edited by Zhongyongdaoist
  • Like 1

Planning on taking this course .graduates of the course ,how's it .is it worth the time and dough .T.I.A

Jason Miller has several Kindle ebooks which I would recommend first as an introduction to his work. Why not start there and determine if his work is appropriate for you.

I have all his books including his latest.just that I wanted reviews of his main course

Edited by Britneyy

A quick look and it seems to be trying to attract people that want to make money  ( at least they seem to be able to attract money - $150 a pop ? )

It reminds me of the books by people like TImothy Ferris, it's like they explain how to make money to you by making money off of you. Pyramid schemes.

A quick look and it seems to be trying to attract people that want to make money ( at least they seem to be able to attract money - $150 a pop ? )

It reminds me of the books by people like TImothy Ferris, it's like they explain how to make money to you by making money off of you. Pyramid schemes.

I have posted this elsewhere, but its relevance here is obvious:

In the West this results the cultural influence of Christianity and the 'sin' of simony. This attitude is based on Matthew 10:8:

Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

In other cultures the situation is more complex and we should be wary of unwittingly using a set of values derived from Christianity to judge the practices of another culture. That doesn't mean that we can't use such values, it just means that we need to be aware of them and ask ourselves why we believe that they are applicable.

The operative phrase in Matthew is 'Freely you have received', with the implication that something of value really was received, in other words the power to 'Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons'. Since this was supposedly said by Jesus for a believer this would have the authority of a divine commandment, but for someone who is not working within that tradition and has worked hard, both in terms of study and practice and expended both time and money in the pursuit of the knowledge and ability to 'exorcise', they may be justified in charging and we are the ones who need to justify our attitudes about why they should freely give to us, what has cost them so much time, money and effort. (Emphasis added, ZYD)

I have looked at his blog and find him an amusing character, more of a complement then might seem obvious, it means I find him likable. I could of course criticize his understanding of magic, but it would be a criticism that would be applicable to just about everyone who has written about magic in the past 200 years and would include Israel Regardie, Dion Fortune and about every other Neo-magician you could care to name including my old buddy Don Kraig, so why dwell on it?

But he brings up good points here:

Emily Post and the Occult

and while I prefer Miss Manners personally, the general point is well taken and as a former closet Confucian who came out, I can quote the Master to the same effect:

季路問事鬼神。子曰:「未能事人,焉能事鬼?」敢問死。曰:「未知生,焉知死?」

Ji Lu asked about serving the spirits of the dead. The Master said, "While you are not able to serve men, how can you serve their spirits?" Ji Lu added, "I venture to ask about death?" He was answered, "While you do not know life, how can you know about death?" (Chinese Text Project, Confucius Analects 11:12, Emphasis added, ZYD)

This goes for any type of spirit.

And I have got to like and respect a guy who comes out in favor of ties!:

The Magic of the Necktie

and the general loss of formality in Western non-culture.

A person has to really understand the essence of ritual to understand this type of thing. This guy's got to be a closet Confucian. Maybe he will come out someday.

Regarding Miller's rates, circa 1980 I bought a course published by this man:

Talk about nostalgia, here is a piece of trivia for you. Don's Modern Magick was originally written to be published by this man:

mal2008.jpg

Malcolm Mills. Here is his biography from his site:

Malcolm Mills was born in Westport, CT on June 27, 1943. He graduated from the University of Connecticut in 1967 and attended Columbia University's Graduate School of Writing and Film. For many years he worked as a freelance editor, specializing in honing doctoral dissertations.

In his mid-20s, Malcolm became interested in Tarot and began a comprehensive study. After a couple years of that, he began doing readings for friends and family and soon that snowballed into what has become a full-time career.

His interest in astrology began in the early 1970s because he realized that tarot was directly related to the astrological mysteries. Over the years he has provided astrological counseling to hundreds of people in all walks of life.

In 1980, he moved from New York City to Santa Barbara, California where he continued his tarot and astrology practice. Because he began to accumulate so many clients in Los Angeles, in 1995 he moved to the San Fernando Valley.

With an active astrology/tarot client list numbering more than 1800, Malcolm introduced his line of authentic New Orleans oils and incense in 1997. Originally planning to offer 20 oils and a dozen incense fragrances, the "Extrascentsory Apothecary" has grown by leaps and bounds to feature 60+ incenses and over 300 oils.

In Santa Barbara Mills started Malcolm Mills Publications, which produced some excellent and very influential material on the New Orleans Voodoo tradition. His major work was called Oils, Incenses and Powders and was based on years of research. What is left out of the above is that he also ran Herman Slater's catalog business, Abrahadbra. Herman Slater's Magickal Formulary is basically a ripoff of Mills material. In the early 1980s Mills invited Don to write for him, and Don was working on the material, but Mills firm did not remain in business and the result was published by Llewellyn. It's probably better for everyone that Don's book was published by Llewellyn, but that is the story of its origin.

I have thought about Mills many times over the years. I finally found him today. (Emphasis added, ZYD)

Oils, Incenses and Powders, cost $120.00 in early 1980s dollars, allowing for inflation this could easily double or triple in today's dollars. Granted it was a printed course and not an e-course, but it was some of the best $120.00 that I ever spent. It happened to arrive at the perfect time after I had taken all my experience from the late sixties and early seventies, analyzed, then researched the history and solved all of the major theory difficulties that my experience had presented me with and was ready to do put my new perspective into practice. The 80s was a lot of fun magically and I took it in directions that go way outside of how magic was usually thought of at the time, by the early 90s I was well on my way to “Cornelius Agrippa meets the Golden Dawn in Medieval China”, as I characterized my work at the time.

As a curious piece of historical trivia, since Bend Over oil is mentioned in the thread on Financial Sorcery:

Sounds about right:-) Thanks Old Green. In keeping with the spirit of the book, I wouldn't use someone else's logo for my thing:-)

I recommend this book quite heartily, but it made me wonder about all the (maybe) weird sh*t people do even more. For instance, should I now worry about my evil cutthroat ex business partners using 'bend over' oil on me? Well, I'll say very likely likely they had a form of it and I was too busy being nice to notice I was getting shafted. Ah well:-) (Emphasis added, ZYD)

More than likely Miller directly or indirectly owes his knowledge of Bend Over Oil to Malcolm Mills, probably by way of Herman Slater.

Is the purpose for taking the course to learn to do sorcery?

What would the kind of things be that would be accomplished with sorcery as depicted in the course?

Is there some particular accomplishment in sorcery that the man offering the course has done?

-VonKrankenhaus

The people I know who have done it are very happy with it. 

For a few of them it was what finally got them from the arm chair to consistently doing magic daily. 

He teaches a basic structure that is found within lots of traditions, in a way that allows you to swap out whatever doesnt work for you, or to replace stuff with the spirits of your own system if you have one, but with good common sense teachings spread throughout. 

I like Jason a lot, and will probably do it myself when my own apprenticeship is finished.

• Like 2

I have to disagree totally about ties though  !

How does a man know how close to happiness he is?

Get all your ties and lay them on the ground end to end, Now stand at one end. The other end is how far from happiness you are. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this