Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Challenge

For 30 days do all writing with your non-dominant hand. Observe any subtle changes.

ok, doing it now, but typing one-handed is a PITA, regardless which hand I use! The trackpad is the worst thing about it.

That's not a challenge - that's a mission impossible.

Oh come on, give it a go! Are you afraid to be embarrassed? Worried it will take too long to write your grocery lists? Play a little! ;)

• Like 1

Oh come on, give it a go! Are you afraid to be embarrassed? Worried it will take too long to write your grocery lists? Play a little! ;)

Hehehe.  I am beyond fear.  And I have been embarrassed so many times it is common nature for me.

I did break my right wrist about thirty years ago and had to do everything with my left hand while the right healed.  Try driving a stick shift truck with only your left hand.  Now that's a challenge.

• Like 2

If you want to start slower, try brushing your teeth with nondominant hand for the month.

Hehehe.  That's easy for me - I have full dentures top and bottom.

• Like 1

Eating with chopsticks left-handed is pretty cool too!

I'm good at using right-handed chopsticks.  Left-handed screwdrivers are a little more challenging.

• Like 1

If you want to start slower, try brushing your teeth with nondominant hand for the month.

I been doing that for years....also try using cellphone with other hand....

Yeah this isn't the first time I have posted something like this - I keep coming back to it in excitement because of how fruitful it is

• Like 1

I think one of the best ways to develop R/L balance is to always make sure you can do everything equally well on both sides....whether it be dancing, brushing teeth, drumming, or writing - you should train twice as hard so that you build more R/L balance.

So, as I have said before - train the weak link in the chain.

this will keep things balanced.

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

I think one of the best ways to develop R/L balance is to always make sure you can do everything equally well on both sides.

I am eternally grateful to my massage training for making us do everything— EVERYTHING— equally on both sides of the body. Left hand does it one side of the table, right hand does it on the other. Keeps the body and the brain balanced. That's the main thing that's allowed me to practice so long.

• Like 2

So, as I have said before - train the weak link in the chain.

this will keep things balanced.

This is really an important concept.  Applies to nearly everything in our everyday life.

And too, if we have a weak link we need to prevent its being taken advantage of.

I am eternally grateful to my massage training for making us do everything— EVERYTHING— equally on both sides of the body. Left hand does it one side of the table, right hand does it on the other. Keeps the body and the brain balanced. That's the main thing that's allowed me to practice so long.

Agree...I so miss doing massage..its like dancing. I have a table that hasnt been used hardly at all. I feel like my soul is missing. I need to get back in the healing arts, but my energy is polluted and i cant stop the polluted energy from being channelled through my hands so i avoid touching others.

Agree...I so miss doing massage..its like dancing. I have a table that hasnt been used hardly at all. I feel like my soul is missing. I need to get back in the healing arts, but my energy is polluted and i cant stop the polluted energy from being channelled through my hands so i avoid touching others.

After reading several of your posts I feel you have become 'fragmented'. Your holistic glue has become unstuck.

All the little components and processes of your 'soul' ( which is actually a whole range of concepts and possibilities and potential played out scenarios or archetype or event , your 'imaginative faculty' then creatively mixes and postulates and comes up with 'expressions' of solutions or enactments - that is the function of the 'creative imaginative soul')  .... seem separated or lost somewhere (from your perspective) .   Its an illusion of course, like the man walking around the house looking for his glasses while they on his head all the time. 

When these essential components of the 'person' become 'unstuck', separated or fragmented -  not incorporated into your person (as they are 'used to' ) they will create their own 'person' as a vehicle for their expression and seem to be, and act like another entity, being, angel, demon or daemon outside of or apart from yourself (even though one may feel they are 'in' oneself ... of course they are 'in' oneself, as they are a part of the psychological make up,  but they also appear as separate from or 'invading' the self. 

The Shaman is the one that retrieves lost souls. Nowadays psychology can also help.

Find yourself a shamanic psychologist  .... and you'll be a winner. 

• Like 3

Hmmm but it doesn't have to be a one way thing does it? They can heal you and you can heal them. Sometimes just laying your hands on them you can share and balance the energy between you both. Let the energy do it's own thing then balance comes.

It's a bit like a wu wei approach, don't interfere. I've had great results even though i've felt my energy was sometimes polluted also, yet we've both felt better after. Sometimes it's the letting go of it and trusting that nothing bad will come of it that helps.

• Like 1

When I started learning Chinese calligraphy, I was told that I must use my right hand. I tried, and then... in private I gave up and have been figuring out my own left-handed method ever since.

It hasn't been working very well. Writing Chinese with a brush necessitates certain angles that are hard to replicate lefty.

So.. I'll try righty for the next week.

Thanks for the motivation ^_^

i approve of this thread. ;)

now for a dangerous challenge, try wiping yer ass with the other hand..!!

a lot of conventions are right-centric. Trying to use both sides reveals this. I bet the ol' Bushmen were ambidextrous!

later, write with both hands simultaneously in mirror image. :o

8)

• Like 2

There was a study done where people used the glasses that make everything upside down every day and after about two weeks their brains had auto-corrected so that things appeared normal again. Then, when they took them off they had to readjust the other way. I wonder what happen if you kept doing it over and over? Would the time to see things accurately shorten? I think I might have to buy a pair of those in any event...I'm glad you posted that!

• Like 1

I did see a shamanic psychologist once, but only one time...didn't get rid of the voices though...interestingly he started the session by tracking my eye movements back and forth...I really do have a left/right split I already know that. In fact, one of the most effective antidepressants I've ever used, Effexor, is also known for improving communication between right/left hemispheres...I've been labeled as schizo affective bipolar type.

Still, it (the demon/shakti/other self/whatever) has such amazing abilities in what it can do that I am not totally convinced. I am a double Gemini and there is also a noted increase in schizo-type disorders in those born in the spring/summer months...I am willing to accept the split brain theory and always have been...damn that would suck to have lived half my life thinking I was possessed when it was actually that. What's funny is that I have been convinced before that this was in deed the case, but the things that have happened seem beyond beyond anything I could possibly think up or do.

Edited by Songtsan

For 30 days do all writing with your non-dominant hand. Observe any subtle changes.

People still write ???  :huh:

I love handedness challenges... I'm rather ambidextrous myself. 

...I've been labeled as schizo affective bipolar type.

Now I better understand why you have said certain things.

Sonstan, Of Two Minds :The Revolutionary Science of Dual-Brain Psychology, by psychiatrist Fredric Schiffer, MD might be of interest, help to you. He details his conversations with patients' left and right brains. You can bring out one or the other with the simple methods he describes. Not sure that would be good for you though.  :-) But he goes into how each side of the brain has a different personality and how the two sides can learn to communicate with each other. Very interesting.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this