Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

What do you think of this?

I'm thinking of trying out this idea I had where a have a digital canvas print and then paint over it as if the digital print is the underpainting....

does it look neat?

2cgikia.jpg

paint over it and try to match it exactly - like tracing...match color exactly

I still need to work on the image in Photoshop....maybe add texture

I had the thought of trying to sell neat 'paintings' that were actually just prints - using acrylics...I like the dusty look that acrylic paint has....

I could print a 24"x36" and paint over it so it looked like a regular painting.....maybe sell them on ebay or something

Edited by Songtsan

you're serious? Are you an artist? I think it would take a hell of a lot of real talent and experience to do that with the image you posted.

" I had the thought of trying to sell neat 'paintings' that were actually just prints"

:unsure:

hehe

Well I assembled that image in Photoshop.....then all I would have to do is have it printed on a canvas, then just paint over it. The hard part really would be mixing the colors to match. I have the hand/eye coordination to follow the lines....I suppose I should just have a go at it....

" I had the thought of trying to sell neat 'paintings' that were actually just prints"

:unsure:

What I mean is to paint over the print - not try to foist it off as if I had actually painted it, but simply add the paint to make it look cool. Eye appeal is half the meal.  Nothing shady, I would let the buyers know how I did it...

An artist friend of mine works with texture a lot. She paints with oil and acrylics, and very often uses big thick globs of paint to highlight specific contours and other areas of her works. The effect is pretty dramatic and I'm thinking that it could go well with something like this. I can see a kind of half 2D/half 3D image. A 2D print that has just a few details coming out of the picture, done with acrylic paint, maybe metallic tones. You know what I'm saying?

• Like 1

- not sure how cheap it is to print on canvas... ?

- copyright issues from photos/digital images you've used?

- not sure how easy it is to just start selling art on ebay... ?

- colour mixing is (imo) the hardest part of painting

aside from those (potential) issues..,well, can't hurt to try.

if you like it, try and sell it. if nobody buys it...at least you like it!

edit

please take my opinion lightly

i think the image itself has potential, the idea is cool and the layout and colour scheme are interesting, but... some refining wouldn't hurt. I mean, for example, the digital elements could be more uniform in line strength and colour.

But I am a perpetual critic, so.. :ph34r:

Edited by dustybeijing

I bought the rights to the bodhisattva image off of a stock photo site. The original image had a background with some trees and stuff, which I removed...but anyways no legal issues...I could have it printed on canvas for about $130. Then the hard part would be color mixing.

I also bought a nice pic of Tiger's Nest monastery which I might take a shot at too.

Really what I want to try is to get a nice digital camera and take peoples portraits and print them out and over paint them...

Adding texture would be easy - just use some drywall compound and sculpt it, then paint over that...

• Like 1

Well... have a go. It might turn out to be harder than you expect, but you won't know till you try.

Sign in to follow this