LAOLONG

old chinese tai chi books translated to english

Wow very nice, I'm suprised noone else has commented on this, perhaps it would have been exposed to more viewers in the "General Discussion" section, might be worth asking to get it moved into there so more people are able to view the contents?

Thanks for posting! Starting to read "Explaining Taiji Principles by Yang Banhou" now  https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/explaining-taiji-principles-taiji-fa-shuo/

• Like 2

Taiji fashuo is such a fun text. I worked on it for my MA thesis.

For tai chi classics translated into English I would recommend Lost T'ai-chi Classics from the Late Ch'ing Dynasty by Douglas Wile. He also translates the Taiji fashuo and a host of others.

And there is so much Taoist and neidan language through out the Taiji fashuo text. It's interesting how much neidan language and methods made their way into the realm of martial arts. 

The origin of the text is also quite mysterious. It wasn't written by Yang Banhou (he didn't have the requisite classical Chinese chops necessary to write it), and no ones really sure who did. It was composed sometime in the later half of the 19th century, and secretly passed down within the Yang and Wu families until it was published in the early eighties in Hong Kong. 

(Edited once for clarity)

Edited by Nathan Brine
  • Like 2

I just stumbled upon this amazing collection, and to see some of Sun Lu'tang's works translated is amazing, and I will be reading these extensively and perhaps adding them to my practice. Thank you. 

• Like 2