Uroboros

Babies with hair- connected to kidney/ pre-natal Jing?

If the hair is connected to the kidneys and the Jing both post and pre natal, if a baby is born with a full head of luscious locks does this suggest strong kidneys and Jing?

What about strong breathing/ expelling reflex upon birth? Strong lungs and liver?

• Like 1

Also:

From born where water freezes is usually a baldie, all other things equal.

From born where the sun burns is usually a hairy head.

Ancestors - not just that one person. Growing in response with environment.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

It could be that hair at birth in a baby is a sign of faster aging, therefore weaker kidney jing, than a baldie. Just another possibility...I have no idea.

• Like 1

Also:

From born where water freezes is usually a baldie, all other things equal.

From born where the sun burns is usually a hairy head.

Ancestors - not just that one person. Growing in response with environment.

-VonKrankenhaus

Interesting. I was born in winter, with extra water in bazi, bald... though now I have thick wavy-to-curly hair that does whatever it pleases. The extra water in bazi indicates extra kidney/jing related dynamics... which mean extra jing is created, perhaps instead of shen, but also can lead to extra jing imbalances. I wasn't born where water freezes though. One of my friends was born on spring equinox (during an aries stellium, not sure bazi, but perhaps that indicates extra wood), and had a full head of auburn hair... which fell out and he quickly regrew blonde hair.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 1

Hair in TCM is directly related to Blood, the connection with Kidneys is indirect. 

Hair follicles have receptors of sex hormones and these are indeed directly related to Kidneys, which in TCM include reproductive organs and functions.  They are set up to respond to different levels of testosterone and estrogen differently.  High levels of estrogen suppress them on the body and face but not on the head.  High levels of testosterone activate them on the body and face but may suppress them on the head -- which is why hirsute (hairy), bald, sexually hyperactive males are not uncommon -- their testosterone is typically high and is responsible for the pattern.

In an infant, more hair than average may be hereditary (e.g. babies of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern origin tend to have more), hormonal (higher levels of estrogen stimulation at gestation), or indeed point toward strong healthy Blood.  And in any event it's pretty.   :) 

• Like 3