DanC

Zhan Zhuang questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions for the resident Zhan Zhuang practitioners, I have been suffering from CFS for the last 4 years and have been gradually improving, I have just recently quit work and have taken a whole year off to get my health back on track as I was working a hectic job and really struggling with work and managing CFS.. Im currently working with a great acupuncturist who is really helping me get my body back into balance, Im at the stage now where Im exercising daily, just gentle walks along the beach at the moment but Im looking to take my health to the next level and start rebuilding my strength and energy.. Ive chosen Zhan Zhuang as I have 2 Lam Kam Chuen books "Everyday Chi Kung" and "The Way Of Energy" and I used to do it around 10 years ago and felt its benefits.. My question is where should I start, "Everyday Chi Kung" is a laid out programme of seated Zhan Zhuang that eventually leads you to standing but "The Way Of Energy" gets straight to the point and starts with standing, Im sure standing generates much more Chi and will help strengthen my legs which are really deconditioned. Any recommendations will be appreciated, any other books or DVD's that may help me please let me know.

Danny

Lam Kam Chuen has a lot of videos on YouTube you might be interested in. Also Dr Yang Jwing Ming has a book on Zhan Zhuang that you might be interested in

ok, back... The book I recommend, at the top of my list ahead of Sifu Lam's books, is this one:

http://www.standingdynamics.com/literatuur/page1.html

you can read a good amount of it here:

http://www.thedynamicsofstandingstill.com/the_proof_of_the_pudding.html

Even the images are inspirational.

I actually showed this book to Lam last year and he was highly impressed. Peter den Dekker is a long-time direct student of Lam's. Because of the super high quality printing and full color images, the book isn't cheap, but it's a great investment.

Do you have any specific questions? Problems? Goals other than the obvious as stated in your original post?

Hi All,

I have a few questions for the resident Zhan Zhuang practitioners, I have been suffering from CFS for the last 4 years and have been gradually improving, I have just recently quit work and have taken a whole year off to get my health back on track as I was working a hectic job and really struggling with work and managing CFS.. Im currently working with a great acupuncturist who is really helping me get my body back into balance, Im at the stage now where Im exercising daily, just gentle walks along the beach at the moment but Im looking to take my health to the next level and start rebuilding my strength and energy.. Ive chosen Zhan Zhuang as I have 2 Lam Kam Chuen books "Everyday Chi Kung" and "The Way Of Energy" and I used to do it around 10 years ago and felt its benefits.. My question is where should I start, "Everyday Chi Kung" is a laid out programme of seated Zhan Zhuang that eventually leads you to standing but "The Way Of Energy" gets straight to the point and starts with standing, Im sure standing generates much more Chi and will help strengthen my legs which are really deconditioned. Any recommendations will be appreciated, any other books or DVD's that may help me please let me know.

Danny

Hi Danny,

can't help you with a method but might have advise. When I started doing standing posture I wasn't even able to stand for longer then say 10 to 15 minutes.  On the advise of my teacher i Started with standing up, then when becoming tired ( just before actually) i sat down on a stool that was already standing behind me, so that the feet didn't loose contact with the earth. I've found that bending down while sitting helps to reconnect with the feet, after bending down , sitting up again and taking care of good posture

and yes, standing makes energy flow better/stronger, and when you stand first and sit afterwards you'll reap the benefit of standing while sitting. Hope I've made clear what i meant.

Kind of balancing act, when having chronic fatigue you've to be very careful with your energy, standing too long might have an adverse affect by making you tired, build up standing and exercising slowly

wish you well,

BES

• Like 1

????

it can also damage the nerves and capillaries in the legs. Overdoing zhan zhuang is one of the reasons why a lot of martial artists suffer leg and knee problems.

https://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/che-style-prohibitions/

“The 8 Prohibitions of Che style Xingyi by Prof Che Xiangqian"

I've been standing in zhan zhuang for about 4 months now, starting with 5 minutes in wu chi and ramping up to 20-30 minutes a day in one or more early postures (standing pole, etc.) after doing Yang style taiji for seven years. The benefits from zhan zhuang have thus far been subtle but very clear, and I hope to continue Yi Quan studies. However, after a month or so, my left ankle began hurting, particularly during Rollback positions in TC. I adjusted my stance in zhan zhuang to put more weight on my right foot after checking out my hips in a mirror -- this resulted in slightly less pain in my left ankle combined with fresh new pain in my right. What gives? 

http://www.shenwu.com/discus/messages/25/1280.html?1231026564

causing damage to abdominal nerves and muscles, constricted chest, and dizziness due to hyperventilation or asphyxia.

http://www.slideshare.net/kayo1686/zhan-zhuang

How do you cope with pain and inconvenient feelings, which arises when practicing Zhan Zhuang, Standing Meditation or Tai Chi? I know that the body can be damaged if severe pain in the knees and in the spine is felt and ignored. The kind of pain which i am referring to is more moderate but it is a big burden for me. I suffer. 

http://taoistsex.tribe.net/thread/2570ef22-fe76-454d-ba7e-e52481ce7c67

....and i am not even gonna go into psycho problems it may cause.

Yeah ok, overdoing anything is always bad (but it's necessary to sometimes go to the limit just to know where the limits are), and it's certainly possible to overdo ZZ, and to do it incorrectly. But that's no justification for your earlier comment, not the way you phrased it imo.

• Like 1

Alignments and relaxation are critical in ZZ. Both are addressed in depth in Frantzis's book "Enenrgy Gates". He also suggests a method that blue eyed snake described: start small, stand until you feel discomfort, than sit down.

Frantzis's approach to ZZ is different from LKC's one. LKC advocates "not doing" while standing whereas Frantzis teaches dissolving. Listen to your body what is best for you and use either method. For me dissolving is better because it occupies the monkey mind.

In LKC's book, don't overlook his set of ba dua jing. THis is a good set and if you do it mindfully, it will unfold wonderfully with time.

From memory "The way of Energy" does have dissolving techniques, but Lam Kam has to be one of the best guys to learn ZZ from in the world, Im sure there are others but he has the direct lineage..

• Like 1

Anyone have a copy of "The way of Healing", it seems really more geared to recovering from Illness..

From memory "The way of Energy" does have dissolving techniques, but Lam Kam has to be one of the best guys to learn ZZ from in the world, Im sure there are others but he has the direct lineage..

He's wonderful, yes. I spent three intensive days with him last October and got the invitation to attend again this year. I'm not sure if it'll work out with the timing but if it does, I'll be there. He doesn't just stand, as most people erroneously believe. He's a master of the martial arts, mind-boggling to observe.

The workshop last year was structured with a lot of standing in diferent postures on Friday and Saturday, and then on Sunday we applied the work to Pushing Hands.

• Like 1

Thats amazing that you get the chance to train directly with him, he is the real deal..

Edited by DanC
  • Like 1

He has schools dotted around Europe, two in Germany, and he visits them once a year to see how they're doing. I was lucky to be able to attend last year; being an outsider, I wouldn't ordinarily even be informed of his visit. But being the only native English speaker in the group, he actually spent a lot of time talking with me directly, it was quite an experience. He mainly talked about women and politics, lol. We'd be standing there in the water position for twenty minutes while he walked around rattling off one anecdote after the next. Then he'd say, ok, fire position ... and on it went. He also revealed a lot of energy work, though. It was a good mix

He is a true master without a doubt, I have another question, in "The way of Energy' you finish with Wu Chi, in "Everyday Chi Kung" you finish with a circling down movement followed by sealing, is this necessary as its not a part of the routine outlines in "The Way of Energy"..

• Like 1

Always incorporate a closing routine. I suggest doing more than he describes. His quick closing routine is to rub the hands down along the front of the body to the abdomen a few times and then massage the neck. Then hold the hands on the LDT for a minute. I do a lot more than that...

• Like 1

weird how it was left out of the way of energy, I might try get a copy of the way of healing too, bit more extra detail and goes into healing quiet a bit more..

I have another question, I do mindfulness meditation and some basic yoga stretches everyday, is it best done before or after Zhan Zhuang??

On 4/4/2015 at 6:11 AM, Yulaw said:

Lam Kam Chuen has a lot of videos on YouTube you might be interested in. Also Dr Yang Jwing Ming has a book on Zhan Zhuang that you might be interested in

I know this is an old post, but does anyone know which of Dr Yang Jwing Ming's books is about Zhan Zhuang?

I'm not sure if he has a book that focuses on it, but if you find out which one he does mention it in do post it as I'd be quite interested in it.

I think you are right, I found nothing explicitly about Zhan Zhuang or ever mentioning it by name with a quick google search... If you are luckier please let me know, I'm always looking for more literature on the subject :)

Edited by Vincent B.
french fingers

A possibility ?

nnn.jpg

Actually just checked the reviews it's 90% theory, 10% poorly demonstrated exercises, not so much ZZ.

Edited by rideforever