Sign in to follow this  
noonespecial

Qi Distribution in the Body

Is there supposed to be a noticeable difference between the quality of qi on the left and right side, left feels heavy, right feels light. I've been attempting to circulate for an even distribution, but it always seems to reset to the default heaviness on the left side, especially in the left calf and foot.

EDIT - Rather than heaviness a better description is HEAT.

Edited by noonespecial

Left side energy is going down more, and right side energy is going more upward.

We can see this easily in the function and route of the large intestine - "ascending" and "descending" colon.

Right side of face is showing mother's influence (Earth), and left side is showing father's influence (Heaven).

"Heavy" usually mean "stagnation", but not always.

5 phases out of balance, metal (contracting energy) phase is weak.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

Metal phase is leading into water phase, so kidney is maybe also involved.

If continually sleeping on left side, left kidney can be accumulating silt, stagnating.

This may explain leg/foot sensations.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

Had this for a long time, however with adjustments of aligning and finding and releasing deeper tensions it balanced out better.

hi Rocky, can I trouble you for some more detail, feel free to PM if you want, thanks.

Left side in CM diagnosis relates to the Liver. This is currently the spring, the time of the Liver...perhaps because it's more pronounced at the moment is the reason why you're asking about this at this time.

Feeling heavy can mean dampness typically...but if we're talking about Liver it could also mean a qi stagnation symptom, which is incredibly common. Not enough free flow to feel light.

Also, one sided phenomenon can be a shaoyang sign...in this case maybe gallbladder (Liver's pair). So perhaps the liver and gallbladder can do with some free flow.

Walking is a basic thing to do to help the Liver. Laughter qigong could help relieve tension...or whatever other method that releases the mind and emotions. Stretching the IT band a lot, as well, since that's roughly the gallbladder area.

Just some ideas.

• Like 2

you want to sleep on the right side since the heart is on the left side of the body so then the heart doesn't need to work as much for 1/3rd your life spent sleeping.

The left and right hand and left and right eye are based on the yin chi/yuan yin shen (spirit) dragon fire energy and the yang chi/yuan yang qi tiger water energy.

This is lined up with the vagus nerve - the right side vagus nerve connects to the lower body (tiger yang qi) and the left side vagus nerve connects to the heart (solar dragon yin chi/yin yuan shen).

So based on that the left eye should be the solar dragon yin chi and yin yuan shen along with the left hand.

I will confirm this as per my notes from Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality.

yep - so that is also the left side of the heart from where the yuan shen originates.

The right side of the heart is from where the Prenatal Vitality (Yuan qi) originates which manifests out of the pineal gland and the right eye.

Yeah so the right side vagus nerve then turns into the rear vagus for the lower body.

I suppose that could be a heavier sensation. What did you say?

Well anyway the right side is the lunar energy. It is supposed to rise up the back from the lower body.

• Like 1

HI all thanks for all the advice, I have taken note of all things.

Perhpas heaviness is the wrong term, it's really the best I can come up with - it's difficult to assign a word to the qualities of qi, but more or less during particularly deep rituals it literally feels like the energy is split into two halves, however when the energy is clearly recognized is when I am able to circulate.

Besides that, I am very good physical condition, not overweight, am able to do very difficult strnegth, resistance, endurance excercise, and I laugh often, even at myself - but oddly enough I probably drink too much coffee and smoke 5-7 cigs a day, ironic I know - however i do not drink alcohol. Sounds like I should keep working on the circulations and make sure I sleep on my right side, if the right side is lunar and left solar, it makes sense that the energy is more prounonced on the left.

Edited by noonespecial

yeah and heaviness is a sign of depression - heavy breathing, sighing - smoking causes sadness as a lung blockage.

I actually - once I was in full lotus alone at work. My coworker walked in the room and when our eyes met I was overwhelmed by his sadness. I blurted out: Why are you so sad! - he was shocked into silence since he had said nothing, was not grimacing or anything - no reason for me to think he was sad. So in the silence then I said to him: You know smoking causes sadness.

After that he quit smoking and then the sadness went away.

if the right side is lunar and left solar, it makes sense that the energy is more prounonced on the left.

I think it's the opposite. But there are different models (ways of making correspondences) being spoken of in this thread, so that could become confusing.

Ok, I have reached a conclusion and developed a course of action : )

I will begin charting which days this sensation is noticeable during the work day, my mood, etc. I have been slacking on my records anyhow, so time to get that going strong again.

(My other two high energy areas during the day hours are the crown of the head and brow).

I will also (cross the fingers) go a week without coffee or cigs, and chart any noticeable effects during practice and the day hours, I suspect I will learn a few other things from this.

Cheers all, thanks for the help and kind words!

you want to sleep on the right side since the heart is on the left side of the body so then the heart doesn't need to work as much for 1/3rd your life spent sleeping.

The left and right hand and left and right eye are based on the yin chi/yuan yin shen (spirit) dragon fire energy and the yang chi/yuan yang qi tiger water energy.

This is lined up with the vagus nerve - the right side vagus nerve connects to the lower body (tiger yang qi) and the left side vagus nerve connects to the heart (solar dragon yin chi/yin yuan shen).

So based on that the left eye should be the solar dragon yin chi and yin yuan shen along with the left hand.

I will confirm this as per my notes from Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality.

yep - so that is also the left side of the heart from where the yuan shen originates.

The right side of the heart is from where the Prenatal Vitality (Yuan qi) originates which manifests out of the pineal gland and the right eye.

Yeah so the right side vagus nerve then turns into the rear vagus for the lower body.

I suppose that could be a heavier sensation. What did you say?

Well anyway the right side is the lunar energy. It is supposed to rise up the back from the lower body.

Gravity is conservative.

A mind trick you could use. When you wish to smoke or drink coffee, think of it as doing "coffee qigong" or "smoking qigong." And ask yourself if you really care to do that type of qigong atm.

But American Spirit qigong is so toasty....

I have two cigs left in the pack, lets see how it goes :D

Re:

-----

"Left side in CM diagnosis relates to the Liver."

-----

The liver is in the right side of the body.

The part of the colon on that side is the ascending colon.

The spleen/pancreas/stomach is in the left side of the body.

The part of the colon on that side is the descending colon.

Facing person, if you imagine 5 phases diagram transposed on front of torso with Fire at top and Water at bottom, this corresponds to the actual positions of the organs/functions of the torso.

Springtime side (Wood) is coming up, ascending energy, and Autumn side (Metal) is descending, contracting functions. Colon is making circle and shows this, going up on one side (right) and down on the other (left).

Heart (Fire) is at top, Bladder (Water) at bottom.

-VonKrankenhaus

Re:

-----

"Left side in CM diagnosis relates to the Liver."

-----

The liver is in the right side of the body.

Yes anatomically (for the most part), but in Chinese Medicine throughout the entire body it's related to the left side. Tongue diagnosis, liver is on the left. Abdominal diagnosis, liver is on the left. Facial diagnosis, liver is on the left. Pulse diagnosis, liver is on the left. Etc.

"Liver" in Chinese Medicine doesn't exactly correspond to the anatomical or Western understanding liver all of the time. So to have a pattern of liver qi stagnation, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a liver disease in the typical understanding, such as cirrhosis for instance. Different models of correspondences.

Edited by Aetherous

Quick update, sometimes the simplest solutions might be the correct ones, went to my local chinese medicine shop this morning, the man working there told me it's the way i stand, weight is unevenly distributed to left side :P

• Like 2

Quick update, sometimes the simplest solutions might be the correct ones, went to my local chinese medicine shop this morning, the man working there told me it's the way i stand, weight is unevenly distributed to left side :P

Simple observation can go much further than all the combined medicine practices in the world. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it usually is a duck and not related to TCM or any other theory.

That's not so simple. There's a reason you stand weighted to the left side and that reason is still there and it'll simply find itself another outlet.

• Like 2

That's not so simple. There's a reason you stand weighted to the left side and that reason is still there and it'll simply find itself another outlet.

hmmmm,

• Like 1

Standing with wieght on the (your) left side indicates an expanded (weakened) condition on the right side.

This could be in any of the organs on that (your right) side - liver, lung, ascending colon.

The contraction and numbness on the left side would be associate with either this compensation (written above), or from a very contracted condition in organs on that (your left) side - spleen/pancreas/stomach, descending colon.

This is something like seen in people who eat/ate much meat and refined salt, and also sugar and alcohol - but that may or may not apply to you. All of what I writing is just very general, describing, and not suggesting any particular action, and not trying to be definitive.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Some of these things may apply, especially the sweets.

i was also given a certain meditation, that really seems to be smoothing out the distribution of energy.

Sign in to follow this