Astral Monk

Qigong for Modern Travel

Basic qigong practice flows from a standing position, connecting with the earth. We learn to find a deep root and soild structure.

But many modern forms of travel are disconnected from the physical ground--planes, boats, spacecraft. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for qigong or tai chi type practices that are well suited or even designed for people floating above the earth?

My initial thought on this was finding exercises that could offset the effects of lengthy travel--jet lage, sea sickness. For example, what might be a good exercise for travelling on boats? How might one find a root floating on the water?

Chunyi Lin recommends his small universe (mco) meditation during air travel to offset jet lage, for instance.

Any thoughts on this?

If we are flying or floating do we need to connect to air or water elements?

8)

• Like 2

Perhaps more of a shen based emphasis when flying, or a more fluid based emphasis when floating?

What, after all, are you resting upon as your foundation?

As one changes, the foundations one is limited to may also change, and one may rest their inner emptiness upon the vapor of clouds to soar about the sky. Zhuangzi speaks to this, but focuses on what might happen should one place their foundation upon the dao alone.

I fly all the time, have since the early 1990's and gave up trying to find any meaningful meditation or qigong technique that works on a plane. Planes are too cramped, to noisy, too stale, too crowded. Not saying you can't find something that works for you while flying, but for me it's best to wait until I get on the ground, find a quiet place and do my qigong meditation there.

• Like 1

I always do compact taiji and assorted stretches in the isle.  I noticed I'm the only one doing this.  I don't give a flying fuck, pun deliberate.  Theoretically it could annoy someone, but in my experience, the opposite is true -- the only comments I get are along the lines of, "what a great idea!  I should have thought of it too."  But then they don't proceed to do it.  The whole set-up is so imprisoning, people are afraid to do anything unsanctioned with their bodies even if it is not explicitly forbidden.  And thank god it isn't.  I am sure they would forbid it if more people wanted to do it.  So I'm not advertizing.  Please don't follow my example.  You don't want to look like a weirdo doing something other than what everybody is doing, right?  So, please don't.  <_<

• Like 4

Security personnel at the international airport in Phoenix weren´t pleased with my spontaneous movement practice.  Can´t win em all I guess.

Liminal

• Like 4

I always do compact taiji and assorted stretches in the isle.  I noticed I'm the only one doing this.  I don't give a flying fuck, pun deliberate.  Theoretically it could annoy someone, but in my experience, the opposite is true -- the only comments I get are along the lines of, "what a great idea!  I should have thought of it too."  But then they don't proceed to do it.  The whole set-up is so imprisoning, people are afraid to do anything unsanctioned with their bodies even if it is not explicitly forbidden.  And thank god it isn't.  I am sure they would forbid it if more people wanted to do it.  So I'm not advertizing.  Please don't follow my example.  You don't want to look like a weirdo doing something other than what everybody is doing, right?  So, please don't.  <_<

<grin>

• Like 1

Basic qigong practice flows from a standing position, connecting with the earth. We learn to find a deep root and soild structure.

But many modern forms of travel are disconnected from the physical ground--planes, boats, spacecraft. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for qigong or tai chi type practices that are well suited or even designed for people floating above the earth?

My initial thought on this was finding exercises that could offset the effects of lengthy travel--jet lage, sea sickness. For example, what might be a good exercise for travelling on boats? How might one find a root floating on the water?

Chunyi Lin recommends his small universe (mco) meditation during air travel to offset jet lage, for instance.

Any thoughts on this?

If we are flying or floating do we need to connect to air or water elements?

8)

I think you are on the right track. 

There is no need to be too attached to have your feet directly on the earth to benefit from practice.

I would suggest a practice that seeks to help connect with and find balance among the elements.

Depending upon your training and tradition, the elements take different forms - that's unimportant.

The important part if finding in yourself that connection to each of the elements.

Open yourself and quiet yourself inside.

Then you have the opportunity to see and feel how you are actually a manifestation of these elements in every aspect of your being. 

If you are quiet and sensitive enough and patient, you may see where you may be lacking or over representing these elements and just that awareness and openness will help bring them into balance.

This is simply a meditation on the elements that I've found very beneficial.

If you know them you could practice this along with prayers, mantras, and mudras - or simply by itself.

Enjoy

• Like 1

Just be natural. :)

Naturally! ;)

I'm thinking for air travel deep breathing and focus on the central channel, perhaps virtually exteding it down to earth and up to space.

Water travel might benefit from good ol horse stance to both find deep balance and promote fire energy to counter all that water.

Maybe vehicle qigong is about becoming one with the flow of the vehicle body itself, to the extent that turbulence isnt felt as a shock to ones small separate body.

8)

Edited by Astral Monk

I always do compact taiji and assorted stretches in the isle. <_<

Great idea. I was thinking there ought to be a rec space in planes for that purpose.

8)

• Like 1

I always do compact taiji and assorted stretches in the isle.  I noticed I'm the only one doing this.  I don't give a flying fuck, pun deliberate.  ...

Well said! 

OP:

Practice in airplanes is awesome - even sometimes keeps it in the air...

I don't like to fly anymore, due to personal freedom restrictions I would rather drive, but when I do I ALWAYS do Stillness-Movement Neigong.

• Like 2