Yasjua

Shiny Eyes

What is with those shiny, deep, profound looking eyes that some people have? When I used to meditate a lot I'd notice my eyes looked like they had more light in them, and sometimes when I meet people who have been yogis for years or are really far on their paths their eyes are almost like crystally and luminescent. I'm interested in hearing different perspectives on this. Does meditation make the eyes more moist? Does self-realization make the body and brain radiant? Is this "shen" we're seeing in its magnificence in people of deep faith and spiritual commitment?

Edited by Yasjua

The increased shine is due to changes at the retina. But I'll start at the beginning...

As newborn babies we are not born with the intellectual tendency to focus on individual objects. This comes with time, and as our intellectual focus develops there is a corresponding change at the retina. Because we consciously fixate on things, the light detecting cells migrate to form a dense cluster point on the retina directly behind the pupil that is called the fovea. Google this word, fovea.

An experienced meditator through their practice has seen that the everyday world: time, space and plurality are an illusion. They are therefore less intellectually fixated on individual 'things' in time and space but rather see these things as another's angle fleeing manifestation of a higher reality. This higher reality is their primary focus.

This means that the fovea is no longer needed, and the density of the retina behind the pupil disperses. This is the reason why the meditators eyes are more twinkly. Basically, their retinas have become more reflective of incoming light because there are less absorbent cells directly behind the pupil.

Intellectual fixation on discrete objects also exerts muscular pressures on the eyeball. Meditation reduces this pressure and often changes eye shape as well as reflectivity.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Nikolai1
  • Like 4

maybe its a sign that the person has tuned into their spirit slightly, beyond 5 senses

So another thing I've noticed is bright blue eyes in older, highly developed people... Not ordinary blue eyes, but bright blue - like they're wearing coloured contact lenses.

I have come across this in a number of people - one of my teachers has piercingly blue eyes (although Caucasian heritage means it could just be genetics.) But I've also seen this in a Burmese monk-turned-alchemist that I met - he was in his 90's. Again - he's Burmese, dark skin, black hair and bright blue eyes.

I also met a deaf Thai monk living in the forest (with lots of dogs!) - he also had a bright blue tinge to his eyes - I don't have any provenance on his level of development - although I'm still feeling the effects of hanging out with him for a couple of hours.

Edited by freeform

Ruthlessness makes sorcerers' eyes shine, and that shine beckons intent. Each spot to which their assemblage points move is indicated by a specific shine of their eyes. Since their eyes have their own memory, they can call up the recollection of any spot by calling up the specific shine associated with that spot.

The place of no pity is the site of ruthlessness. Let's say that ruthlessness, being a specific position of the assemblage point, is shown in the eyes of sorcerers. It's like a shimmering film over the eyes. The eyes of sorcerers are brilliant. The greater the shine, the more ruthless the sorcerer is.

When the assemblage point moves to the place of no pity, the eyes begin to shine. The firmer the grip of the assemblage point on its new position, the more the eyes shine.

The reason sorcerers put so much emphasis on the shine of their eyes and on their gaze is because the eyes are directly connected to intent. Contradictory as it might sound, the truth is that the eyes are only superficially connected to the world of everyday life. Their deeper connection is to the abstract.

Man's possibilities are so vast and mysterious that sorcerers, rather than thinking about them, have chosen to explore them, with no hope of ever understanding them.

The only advantages sorcerers may have over average men is that they have stored their energy, which means a more precise, clearer connecting link with intent. Naturally, it also means they can recollect at will, using the shine of their eyes to move their assemblage points.

Intent is intended with the eyes. I know that it is so. Yet, just like you, I can't pinpoint what it is I know. Sorcerers resolve this particular difficulty by accepting something extremely obvious: human beings are infinitely more complex and mysterious than our wildest fantasies.

All I can say is that the eyes do it. I don't know how, but they do it. They summon intent with something indefinable that they have, something in their shine. Sorcerers say that intent is experienced with the eyes, not with the reason.

• Like 1

What is with those shiny, deep, profound looking eyes that some people have? When I used to meditate a lot I'd notice my eyes looked like they had more light in them, and sometimes when I meet people who have been yogis for years or are really far on their paths their eyes are almost like crystally and luminescent. I'm interested in hearing different perspectives on this. Does meditation make the eyes more moist? Does self-realization make the body and brain radiant? Is this "shen" we're seeing in its magnificence in people of deep faith and spiritual commitment?

yes, correct. primordial light gets increased and radiates up, you see more "light". that means the subtle worlds are exposed. and to be precise it is your light that you see "in people". you can only perceive "on the outside" what you have already uncovered in / about your self.

Well...in my experience, there is no necessary connection between muscular tension and cognition/thinking.

thinking requires tension. release all tension and there is no more thinking.

the ego is one tension.

come out of deep meditation and think one thought, you will notice the tension in your upper stomach, solar plexus region.

Edited by 4bsolute

i can make a normal person still in the matrix shine their eyes like that, even if they have no clue what spiritual cultivation is. it requires a lot of effort though. and very exhausting.

When I talked about muscular tension I was talking about the pressure that muscles exert on the actual eyeballs to focus on thins near or far. To the realised person, near and far no longer exist in the same way, and so their eyes are not being manipulated by muscles that are in turn being manipulated by spurious intellectual notions.

But about the shininess it gets more complicated...

The mild yet shiny eyed gaze corresponds to the 'form is emptiness' insight which is what leads to the dissolving of the dense, ,light absorbing fovea behind the pupil.

But anyone who understands that 'form is emptiness' is liable, within a few days, to realise that actually 'form is not anything other than form'. This leads to the ability to selectively focus on form with a penetrating power that quite transcends the everyday naive understanding that 'form is form'.

The meditator in this state of mind focuses not with the fovea (this has largely dissolved) but with the whole eyeball. You never see this in a photograph, only real life experience reveals this, but the meditators gaze can switch from being very mild and shiny to being almost unbearably piercing. The piercing expression is that where reflectivity has vanished, you see nothing of yourself, in such a gaze, and you feel yourself completely transparent, almost non existent.

Edited by Nikolai1
  • Like 3

When I talked about muscular tension I was talking about the pressure that muscles exert on the actual eyeballs to focus on thins near or far. To the realised person, near and far no longer exist in the same way, and so their eyes are not being manipulated by muscles that are in turn being manipulated by spurious intellectual notions.

But about the shininess it gets more complicated...

The mild yet shiny eyed gaze corresponds to the 'form is emptiness' insight which is what leads to the dissolving of the dense, ,light absorbing fovea behind the pupil.

But anyone who understands that 'form is emptiness' is liable, within a few days, to realise that actually 'form is not anything other than form'. This leads to the ability to selectively focus on form with a penetrating power that quite transcends the everyday naive understanding that 'form is form'.

The meditator in this state of mind focuses not with the fovea (this has largely dissolved) but with the whole eyeball. You never see this in a photograph, only real life experience reveals this, but the meditators gaze can switch from being very mild and shiny to being almost unbearably piercing. The piercing expression is that where reflectivity has vanished, you see nothing of yourself, in such a gaze, and you feel yourself completely transparent, almost non existent.

so then the normal people start shining their eyes too when they see shine in another person ? or is it spirit yang that activated in them, or energy been transfered to them so they can be proud of their shiny eyes for a few moments ?

nothing really changes, except they are more present in their body. so their spirit is happy and concentraded. not everyone is able to be present in their body these days...

• Like 1

Well put it this way - actually you don't have to be a long term meditator for that to happen. When you are in love with a person your eyes naturally shine. The beloved will experience your love in the form of beauty, the beauty of your eyes. So it's not so much a transaction of energy but a simple reflection of each other, or, to put it another way,you are both reflections of Love which contains you both.

Well put it this way - actually you don't have to be a long term meditator for that to happen. When you are in love with a person your eyes naturally shine. The beloved will experience your love in the form of beauty, the beauty of your eyes. So it's not so much a transaction of energy but a simple reflection of each other, or, to put it another way,you are both reflections of Love which contains you both.

wooaah that is some deep karmic stuff. i dont think that it is related to such things. it is just awareness and energy. the person does not love. personaly, i rarely let someone love me. i may devote energy to their cause, but not love. usually they do not understand. but if in that do not understanding is peace, then their eyes shine

• Like 1