dogson

Taiwan - finding an excellent teacher

Hey all, has anyone traveled to Taiwan and trained with anyone there? I'm finally escaping los angeles and, after a yoga intensive in Bali, I plan to travel around Asia looking for a great teacher.

I'm familiar with all the racism, language barriers, cultural barriers, preponderance to secrecy and hording of true teachings even with long-term students, so please spare me all of this. I feel like it's my karma to go do this so I'm doing it.

What I'd love to hear about is practical information about HK, Taiwan, or India. Where to go as a starting point, and where to avoid. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

If you're in Bali, make sure to stop by Ratu Bagus Ashram - go for 10 days with an open mind (very open) - you'll be glad you did.

• Like 1

what kind of teacher would you be looking for?

If its taiji,  just walking and checking out the parks is a good start.

This was my first visit to Taipei New Park. For many generations, this park has been well known for push hands, free play, and a showcase of various martial arts. There are many small groups of practitioners at every corner of the park, in the woods, or behind bushes.

http://www.wuweitaichi.com/articles/Taipei_Report.htm

An interesting article of one persons account of the taiji he found in Taiwan. 

I found Taiwan to be very friendly and interesting although my time was spent in Hsinchu a smaller city up north of Taipei. 

• Like 1

He Jinghan - Taipei, without a doubt. Check his YouTube channel for his excellent foundation work.

No secrecy and legends from the past, there is a lot of misinformation about this. Taiwanese are very friendly and open people, they represent the Chinese prior the Communist Rev.

India?? You won't find much there, unless Dharamsala and Tibetan Buddhism but I'm not familiar with the system.

Have you considered Thailand or Burma for Vipassana practice?

• Like 2

I'm really willing to learn any internal art, xingyi feels most practical for me right now but I just really want to be around a realized person. Part of it is a deep desire to learn these arts to preserve them - I have a lot of time to go deep and learn the whole system, Bali, China, wherever...