Sign in to follow this  
Michael Sternbach

Tarot Therapy

This thread is spinning off my "Tarot as a System of Metaphysical Philosophy" thread, where I started a conversation with Mandrake that I took the liberty to transliterate here. As I was asked to go into certain specifics that might break up the original thread which is of a more general kind.

Michael:

Regarding this:

"On these grounds, Tarot offers solutions for all kinds of difficulties in life. Therein lies its great potential not least as a means of psychotherapy and spiritual growth. I was using it to that end in my work with psychiatric patients and self help groups in the 1990s."

Would you like to expand on this, especially the latter part?

I am intrigued by how you took the step to use it clinically. How did this work as a tool for you patients, and for what kinds did you find it especially powerful?

With gratitude,

Mandrake

Hi Mandrake,

This was possible due to my association with a psychiatrist who was open-minded in regard of alternative therapies. As a certified Bach Flower therapist, I used Dr. Bach's remedies as my principal approach - they lend themselves to the treatment of almost any kind of patient. As I had also been studying and practicing Tarot for awhile, I integrated it into my sessions. Gradually, I added Astrology and visualization exercises.

I suggested to my patients to do Tarot sessions only after I had known them for awhile and felt that they were receptive to the idea. I wouldn't suggest Tarot in certain cases of superstitious fear when it conceivably could have aggravated the condition. But this needs to be decided based on the individual case; no hard and fast rules there. Typical queries revolved around self-awareness and relationships, where I found Tarot to be a very powerful tool for insight and transformation. Its pictorial language directly speaks to deeper levels of the psyche.

I appreciate your interest. Feel free to ask if you have more questions. I might even start a thread on the topic. :)

Ok. I ask One question, and end up with loads : D

That's cool with me. May I ask you why this topic particularly interests you?

How did you use it in practice? I.e. dealing cards, layout etc.

I shuffled the cards, then fanned them out for the querent to draw the required number by their left hand (the one that connects to the heart or, in more modern terms, to the right cerebral hemisphere) - a very common method. However, especially for therapeutic application, I think it's advantageous that the querent selects the cards by themselves, so they would identify with their message more readily.

I then laid them out using whatever spread would seem most appropriate regarding the query. Ranging from the good old Celtic Cross to relationship and decision spreads.

If you want me to demonstrate some of my favourite spreads, just ask...

Is there a wrong way of using it? There is a point where people can become obsessed and use it for everything, often.

This could conceivably be a problem especially for OCD types doing Tarot on their own. It's also typical for excited beginners (at least they get to know the cards fairly quickly this way).

If the readings are supervised by a sensible counsellor, this is hardly an issue.

What did the tarot do that for example therapy couldn't (in the same degree)?

Cut to the core of a problem immediately. Much like a well interpreted dream might, but available any time on purpose. I remember that psychiatrist I was collaborating with once looking at one of my spreads, then exclaiming: "This one card here is worth a whole psychotherapy!"

Furthermore, he was convinced that Tarot can outline the way for a patient to progress in a straightforward manner.

Also, I would highlight that a card image or a certain symbol on it can assume a particular meaning for the querent, which they can take away from the reading and think of when the need arises.

Lastly, using Tarot offers a playful approach to psychological problems that is quite in tune with the childlike nature of the unconscious mind which is very receptive to its archetypal symbolism. All the more due to the impression that a spot on revelation based on a seemingly random process leaves. ;)

This is fun, thanks!

Mandrake

You are very welcome. It's fun for me too to think back to those Golden days... <sighs>

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 3

That's cool with me. May I ask you why this topic particularly interests you?

Michael:

Thank you for taking your time. Have been engaged in both a move and a flu, so have been delayed.

There is a difference between the abstract - "get rid of ignorance" - and specific - "expand abroad"; between energetic - "clear this liver channel" - and, again specific - "do not take anything at work personally".

I am at this moment more interested in behaviour, in getting direct feedback regarding them, and solution. Sometimes getting a specific example pointed out to you can be much more illustrative than getting told an abstract principle. And sometimes, your life hinges on something very specific that holds everything else hostage - but you don't know it.

So although I am not well versed in the Tarot, it interests me. I have the impression that it can help in this regard, in giving psychological insight. I have been using astrology, but to a large degree focused on the future, but Tarot got me to reconsider using it as a print out of what I can change, and where my "lazy problematics" lie.

"I then laid them out using whatever spread would seem most appropriate regarding the query. Ranging from the good old Celtic Cross to relationship and decision spreads."

Where should one start? Are the spreads exclusive, and is there a spread that is a general-purpose one?

"Lastly, using Tarot offers a playful approach to psychological problems that is quite in tune with the childlike nature of the unconscious mind which is very receptive to its archetypal symbolism. All the more due to the impression that a spot on revelation based on a seemingly random process leaves."

Did you observe your patients following through? It is easy to fall in to a state that one believes is wisdom, to produce false insights from that state, but they just cement that state and never lead to any changes in one's inner and outer environment. I hope you understand what I am trying to express - i.e. not digging oneself deeper in to the hole. Did your patients act in a new, and fresh way as a consequence of the readings, and change their lives?

Again, many thanks!

Mandrake

Michael:

Thank you for taking your time. Have been engaged in both a move and a flu, so have been delayed.

No worries. It happens to me too that I can't reply as quickly as I wish due to some circumstances.

There is a difference between the abstract - "get rid of ignorance" - and specific - "expand abroad"; between energetic - "clear this liver channel" - and, again specific - "do not take anything at work personally".

Tarot can be very specific in its advice, to be sure. I prefer to use it with this emphasis over making predictions (which are only possible to a limited degree anyway).

I am at this moment more interested in behaviour, in getting direct feedback regarding them, and solution. Sometimes getting a specific example pointed out to you can be much more illustrative than getting told an abstract principle. And sometimes, your life hinges on something very specific that holds everything else hostage - but you don't know it.

So although I am not well versed in the Tarot, it interests me. I have the impression that it can help in this regard, in giving psychological insight. I have been using astrology, but to a large degree focused on the future, but Tarot got me to reconsider using it as a print out of what I can change, and where my "lazy problematics" lie.

Right, Tarot can provide a mirror to see yourself much like dreams can do. I was primarily applying it to that end in my practice.

"I then laid them out using whatever spread would seem most appropriate regarding the query. Ranging from the good old Celtic Cross to relationship and decision spreads."

Where should one start? Are the spreads exclusive, and is there a spread that is a general-purpose one?

I am not sure what you mean by the spreads being "exclusive." You can always start out with a spread that then happens to make you aware of a certain theme or aspect that you want to further explore, so you do a follow up reading with another spread. That's actually a pretty good way to use Tarot, imo.

What spread to start with really depends on the query. There is no "one suits all." But a thread that pretty well represents a situation in general terms is the famous Celtic Cross.

It will be best you get a good book on basic Tarot spreads, such as

http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Handbook-Hajo-Banzhaf/dp/0880795115/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427127221&sr=8-1&keywords=banzhaf+spreads

Of course, for any particular case, you can always request one from me here; I will be happy to share some of my favourites. :)

"Lastly, using Tarot offers a playful approach to psychological problems that is quite in tune with the childlike nature of the unconscious mind which is very receptive to its archetypal symbolism. All the more due to the impression that a spot on revelation based on a seemingly random process leaves."

Did you observe your patients following through? It is easy to fall in to a state that one believes is wisdom, to produce false insights from that state, but they just cement that state and never lead to any changes in one's inner and outer environment. I hope you understand what I am trying to express - i.e. not digging oneself deeper in to the hole. Did your patients act in a new, and fresh way as a consequence of the readings, and change their lives?

It's sort of a hard question. Occasional Tarot sessions were typically part of a prolonged therapeutic process that would often involve Bach Flower Therapy, an explanation of horoscope charts, imaginative exercises, counselling etc. I used the cards as part of that process, specifically for inducing insights into the client's psychological functioning in relation to their external experience. The insights would make a lasting impression in their unconscious mind and over time lead to a series of conclusions that help changing the client's life. The focus was generally not on telling the client what to do, directly.

Again, many thanks!

Mandrake

Sure!

Talk to you later,

Michael

Michael:

"Tarot can be very specific in its advice, to be sure. I prefer to use it with this emphasis over making predictions (which are only possible to a limited degree anyway)."

Though I think there are valid occasions for asking about the future, oftentimes when we want to open that lid, we are better served by asking "why?" If we have a certain set-up in our being (karma if you will), then it will build the same situation in our life again and again. Uranus in the 4th house - moving a lot: understanding this mechanism in our psyche will enable us to really change the future; just asking about the future will merely produce a weak repeat of the past in cases like this.

"I used the cards as part of that process, specifically for inducing insights into the client's psychological functioning in relation to their external experience. The insights would make a lasting impression in their unconscious mind and over time lead to a series of conclusions that help changing the client's life. The focus was generally not on telling the client what to do, directly."

An interesting way to look at it. Have to consider it more deeply. The work one does alters the flow of decisions, and the subsequent healing is rolled out over time.

Thank you for the recommendation, will look into it.

Mandrake

Sign in to follow this