4bsolute

Have you times where you find it boring to have an ego?

And how relaxing it feels to just know you are allowed to not care at all?

I feel so lax... that I cant evasdagfsd

call this an "I" talk anymore.

BUT HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT BEING SOMEONE. HOW CAN YOU HAVE SO MANY FACES.

my ex chopped at me. And I felt so bad.

But now? It feels so relaxing to not care what you or everyone thinks of me. I feel like when I take a walk now an entire flock of birds just lands on me and calls me tree...

Edit: of course I still care for spelling.

Edited by 4bsolute

To the thread title question:  No.

But I do understand what you are saying and there are many times throughout the day when I don't need my ego.  He just runs off and plays somewhere.  But he is always close for when I need him.

Humility is so refreshing. Even when someone else does the work of taking us down a notch or two, the perspective granted feels so full of freedom. When we don't have much energy, when our momentum is blocked, etc, our ego finds it hard to express, and stillness is not such an obstacle. As our energy rebuilds we can feel ourselves being replenished without feeling overwhelmed. It is when we are replenished and full that our ego wants to go on a spending spree, using and conditioning all that we have stored up.

But if instead of allowing ourselves to feel full, we seek what is finer... perhaps in the breath, listen to what is barely perceptible and breathe from there... and then as we connect to the operation of what is finer, we begin to realise how coarse and fundamental our perceived fullness really is, and rather than feeling like we have something to spend, we can stabilize our humility. Replacing any feeling of having something to spend with working to connect to what is ever more refined, we are able to progress from a foundation as humble as water, as unassailable as water; even as we build upon this foundation to the heights of refinement, nothing can touch it, unless we decide to stop. Eventually we are filled with emptiness, and at one with all.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 2

Have you read Ecclesiastic's?   At and or after a certain point Solomon made the summation of saying all is vanity or the vanity of vanities... yet he then went further than that and had a certain realization beyond dead-ended vanities.

Edited by 3bob

As to boring.... ego or no ego, there is still ego... the more we dissolve our current paradigm, the more the past paradigms that inform the current become more apparent. Simply flowing with where they direct, and actively absorbing, feeling, and interacting with where that wind blows is part of what it means to be alive. Boring? Only if we run away...

• Like 1

An image I like to use in this regard if I find my ego building is to imagine the mind as a slate, upon which the personalities and characteristics of that person are written, and to simply return to being a blank slate.

Kind of a blend of ideas, but I think part of this image comes from the idea of anatman, where keeping the blank slate you see that behind all ego we are all essentially the same entity. Close the thinking mind, close the judging mind, open the seeing mind, open the understanding mind. Look at a person externally and you see what distinguishes them as an individual. Look at them internally and you see that you are fundamentally the same.

Like that? or am I off the mark? Anyway, just a thought.

• Like 1

I like that unlearner although it sounds to me like you are mixing up concepts to much in using terms like "anatman" and "essentially the same entity"...  

Edited by 3bob

I like that unlearner although it sounds to me like you are mixing up concepts to much in using terms like "anatman" and "essentially the same entity"...  

Perhaps you're right. I sort of had the Buddhist idea of "non-permanent identity" in mind, but it's all a jumble of thoughts in my head, so trying to explain something esoteric from a perspective personal understanding is a bit like trying to explain to someone the best way to swim in a pool full spaghetti, as learned from some personal experience and second-hand expertise.

Ego IS boring!

But, I persist in having one, in the hope that it will increas my chances of getting laid... ;)

• Like 1

Ego IS boring!

But, I persist in having one, in the hope that it will increas my chances of getting laid... ;)

Hehehe.  That won't work often.  You must submit.  That means forget your ego for a while.

Thanks Marblehead,

I find interactions with ewomen {and men}, better when I actually don't try. 

But, submitting, that'as another challenge i've yet to master, but will with discipline.

Edited by Goldleaf

But, submitting, that'as another challenge i've yet to master, but will with discipline.

Yeah, that's a tricky one.  When Buddhists or new-agers tell me I must submit I tell them that I will never submit.  But this is a totally different concept than the one we are talking about.

"... when I actually don't try." is a fair way of putting it.  Heavy concept.  But we do need to care.  Not caring for only one's self but caring for the two of you.  Sharing.  She wants you, you want to please her, she will please you.

• Like 1