thelerner

Burning off Bad Karma

Someone used this expression here in a conversation on prostrations 'burning off bad karma'. 

Concepts of karma run pretty deep.  How do you burn off bad karma?

I'm not a complete believer in a Cosmic karma, but I do see forces at work be it cause & effect or my conscience.  I'll help people when I can, often out of a sense of being a good person or you build the world you want to live in.   Living well, I sacrifice a clutch of chickens in the form of a dozen going to some needy family through Heifer charity http://heifer.org/. 

The concept of burning off bad karma is an interesting one. Does our suffering burn off bad karma? Does our conscious suffering burn off even more?

• Like 1

Think of it this way: What are the qualities we wish to embody on the spiritual path? How are these qualities made to manifest? Do certain aspects of our past selves change as we work at refining our practice(s)?

We may notice that our physical form take on a more refined hue as we gradually enjoy better physical health, a sweeter and kinder way of speaking, we listen deeper, our sleep becomes more restful, we might gradually feel calmer and more peaceful, our heart becomes more open and as that happens, we become more attuned to loving kindness as we let go of aggression and other self-defeating patterns - these and more can only manifest when old patterns and negative habits are replaced. The process in which this takes effect is basically what is known as burning off karma, or purification of karma.

Some would like to think that it is imperative to suffer for old patterns to be shifted and descaled, but in the Buddhist view, this approach is only adopted by those of lower capabilities, like those who have not yet fully understood the 3 marks of existence. Once this concept is fully captured, then out of that idea of suffering we will begin to see many blessings and opportunities to gain even deeper insights and fulfilment on the path we are on, regardless which one we have chosen.  

edit: Further reading on the 3 Marks - http://secularbuddhism.org/2013/04/17/what-are-the-three-marks-of-existence/

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

I´m intrigued that prostrations, of all things, would show up on a thread dedicated to "favorite" practices.  During one fruitful but arduous week of SunDo practice years ago, the master had us doing prostrations and, let me tell you, that was far from the favorite part of my day.  And yet, here I am, reading about them here and thinking they might be a good idea.

I imagine I will need to "burn off" quite a bit of karma before I ever get to the point where I´m so thoroughly transformed that I look forward to such a spiritual workout.  Who knows though...stranger things have happened.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

no such thing as 'bad' karma, so how can it be burnt off?

Meanwhile it is said that reciting Amitabha dissolves huge swaths of karma. Guess its merit is quite high.

8)

The way I understand it, anything we're obsessed with or mentally attached to is karma that needs burning off, for instance I grew up listening to gangsta rap from 8 years old, so after enough years of hearing it, I got obsessed with having a fast car... so I finally bought myself one. It was really awesome for like, a month. Then it snowed.

It's insane how much drama having that car attracts - positive and negative. I receive written threats that are left on my car from jealous people. Others see me on the road and literally freak out and start driving crazy, or trying to race me. I didn't get this car because I wanted the attention, I just wanted to experience what having an awesome car was like, and I see this as "that period where I had the crazy car" so I can let it go.

To take this in a whole other direction, people are also karma... my childhood sweetheart had marriage fantasies of me for about 15 years, I finally reconnected with her a few years ago just so she could figure out we weren't going to be happy ever after... it sucked, but I consciously did it because she just wouldn't leave me alone, and I felt I needed to burn that karma off both of us.

I think it's good to get involved with stuff you're obsessed with or addicted to, and just burn through it. Just let it go and see who you become on the other side of it.Having that perspective of "I'm burning off karma" also helps to alleviate the guilt factor for me. If I want to binge-watch all of Lost, I just do it, and then I'm sick of watching TV for the rest of the year. One of the biggest obstacles to spiritual evolution, in my experience, is people who have desires but try to repress them, or pussy-foot around them instead of just saying flat out, "I love playing video games, I'm gunna rock this video game hardcore and just do it!" That attitude will translate into everything - if you wanna hug someone, if you wanna compliment someone beautiful. if you wanna write a poem, or whatever, do it fully. Burn that karma!

Edited by dogson
  • Like 2

a rewording tangent: ego can't burn off ego but karma and dharma are smarter than ego - an ego which will burn up in one way or another at some point or another which is part of its purpose...

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

equanimity. also feeling love closes the aversion mind door, an antidote for unwholesome feelings.

Edited by wilfred

no such thing as 'bad' karma, so how can it be burnt off?

Maybe burning off bad karma is the wrong mindset.  How should we understand bad karma?

Is there such a thing as Bad Karma?

There are times in my life where thoughtless or selfish actions have created a ton of problems that I can try to stay ahead but ultimately can't avoid.  You could also say similarly there are genetic traits I've inherited as well as cultural behaviors.  Like it or not my country's leaders decisions carry consequences for me. 

Consequences.  To what extent is that word a good substitute for Karma? 

I think its a good substitute in some ways.  It takes the morality/subjectivity out of Karma, much as we like to keep it in.

According to certain Buddhist thought, there are practices one can perform that create merit. Prostrations is one of those practices. So, if a person has done bad things in their life, then doing practices that create merit essentially counterbalances (or burns off) bad karma. It's like adding things to both sides of a scale.

• Like 1