Sign in to follow this  
73543_1494798777

Great paragraph

Whenever the scriptures on the Elixir speak of "me" and the "other", they refer to Yin and Yang; when they speak of host and guest, they refer to the operation; when they speak of reversal, they refer to taking hold of something in one's own hands; when they speak of Being and Non-Being, they refer to movement and quiescence; when they speak of Dragon and Tiger, they refer to Nature and emotions; when they speak of Lead and Mercury, they refer to floating and sinking. What is most essential does not lie outside of the two words,"Yin" and "Yang"; what should be investigated does not lie outside of the two words, "Nature" (xing) and "Existence" (ming); and what is real and authentic does not lie outside of the two words, "body" and "mind."

Translated by Fabrizio Pregadio in the book Cultivating the Tao, Taoism and Internal Alchemy by Liu Yiming

I love this quote. I find it very helpful.

• Like 2

Translated by Fabrizio Pregadio in the book Cultivating the Tao, Taoism and Internal Alchemy by Liu Yiming

I love this quote. I find it very helpful.

Liu Yiming works are amongst my Daoist favourites. I haven't read Fabrizio Pregadio's book but for many years Zhang Boduan's (Chang Po-tuan) "Understanding Reality" with a commentary by Liu Yiming as translated by Thomas Cleary was my main reference. The world of Daoist alchemy it opened for me was a revelation.

Here's the beginning of a passage that sent shivers up my spine when I first read it....

The tiger leaps, the dragon soars, the wind and the waves are rough. In the correct position in the center is produced the mysterious jewel. Fruit grows on the branches, ripe at the end of the season; how can the child in the belly be any different? 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this