Gigi

Beware of The Tao Bums Forum- Misleading Taoism Information (!)

Sounds like the site owner was banned from TaoBums and is trying to get even.

It is a fact, some people don't like TaoBums.  But many do.

• Like 4

It has changed to the Dao Bums and that may have been a problem.

The site is part of  a self-proclaimed Daoist master, Mak Tin Si, vendetta against this forum. Back in 2009 and 2010 he tried to take over the site through spamming and flame wars.  He is basically a cult leader who considers every thing but his own cult, Chi in Nature, evil, and the Dao Bums is simply part of this evil "everything else".  It is a particular sore spot to him because he failed to take over the forum over.  There have been many threads about this in the past, including some a couple of years ago, but I can't specifically site them now.

• Like 6

Actually if Mak Ti Sin says we're bad, thats actually a good indication we're doing our job as an open forum with various viewpoints. 

He's not all bad, but he's extremely one pointed with the point being towards himself.   Opinion that vary from his aren't just wrong, but evil and he'd tend to turn them into crazed vendetta's with a dozen videos because someone somewhere on the internet disagreed with him. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

I have serious reservations about the advice provided by Mak Jo Si. 

I say this as someone who has watched a lot of zombie movies. The dangerous part about zombies is NOT their bite. It's their LARGE numbers. Zombies typically attack in large groups, which would seriously limit the effectiveness of his attack and "double the order." Also, even though they are loud, slow, and clumsy, they sometimes appear RIGHT BEHIND YOU which would make it hard to use a cold steel chopper machete. 

Which makes me wonder: it this zombie disinformation? 

• Like 12

What a neat description, Forest.  I would add that the most dangerous thing about zombies always attacking in large numbers is that ordinary people, non-zombie but merely socially conditionable, as our species is by default (not always fair to call it "herd mentality"), will often follow their lead and join the side of the zombies whenever they see a crowd forming for whatever purpose.  If a crowd supports it, it must be right.

"The majority is always wrong." -- Nabokov

• Like 3

I have serious reservations about the advice provided by Mak Jo Si. 

I say this as someone who has watched a lot of zombie movies. The dangerous part about zombies is NOT their bite. It's their LARGE numbers. Zombies typically attack in large groups, which would seriously limit the effectiveness of his attack and "double the order." Also, even though they are loud, slow, and clumsy, they sometimes appear RIGHT BEHIND YOU which would make it hard to use a cold steel chopper machete. 

Which makes me wonder: it this zombie disinformation? 

Yep!

Better to use one of these against a zombie hoard;

Well ... if they continued to train with him ... they probably were not 'okay' to begin with ? 

• Like 1

Ignoring the link...let me guess...

This is to do with that Mak dude, right?

• Like 2

Well ... if they continued to train with him ... they probably were not 'okay' to begin with ? 

Nah, one that I knew was okay to begin with.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

I am assuming that you are referring to the one who was engaging in a controversial practice claiming lineage from Maoshan, whose daughter began to exhibit strange symptoms and who became very worried about her and the safety of this practice and whose problems were apparently "solved" by the intervention of Mak Tin Si?

If so then yes, they were OK, but there a few things more convincing and more capable of generating lifelong gratitude then "saving" your child from a scary situation.  I only knew him from his posts here for about a year, but he was definitely a good person whose presence here is missed by many.

• Like 3

Until he wasn't -- and that's when he sought Mak Tin Si's help, remember?

I always had regrets about Mak being socially so abrasive that he had to go.  I loved his contributions -- if you get past the didactic tone and the absolute imperatives (or is it imperative absolutes) in which he communicated, you could find a whole spectrum of beliefs, practices and ideas derived from Chinese folk religion, an amalgam of many things not entirely non-taoist though not strictly taoist either, and some of it was great fun.  Although one would have to have a background in some taoist arts to begin with to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, fact from fiction, imagination from reality.  He's like an encyclopedia of Chinese folklore from things practiced in remote villages since time immemorial to Hong Kong movies of today.  Fun stuff.  Too bad he had to destroy what he could give with a pretty useless overall attitude to his audience.    

• Like 4

The member we're thinking of was (and I'm sure still is) a great guy.  Family members were cured through Mak Ti Sin's advice and/or Fu's and boom he ended up a true believer.  The terrifying power of a healer and group acceptance.  I had conversations with MTS here on the bums, but I can't help but think he's gotten darker and more paranoid over the years. 

There was another forum that was joined by MTS, he posted several times a day.  His followers would echo his posts and praise him there.  In short order he took over the forum and his posts were full of swearing and who his people should be against.  Always on the look out for enemies.  Currently even the (walking) dead aren't safe :)

• Like 2

I always had regrets about Mak being socially so abrasive that he had to go.  I loved his contributions -- if you get past the didactic tone and the absolute imperatives (or is it imperative absolutes) in which he communicated, you could find a whole spectrum of beliefs, practices and ideas derived from Chinese folk religion, an amalgam of many things not entirely non-taoist though not strictly taoist either, and some of it was great fun.  Although one would have to have a background in some taoist arts to begin with to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, fact from fiction, imagination from reality.  He's like an encyclopedia of Chinese folklore from things practiced in remote villages since time immemorial to Hong Kong movies of today.  Fun stuff.  Too bad he had to destroy what he could give with a pretty useless overall attitude to his audience.    

I have to agree that his posts were full of information, but they were also full of himself.  Judging by his unusual transliteration of Chinese he was literally posting as "Heavenly Lord" Mak, and thereby putting himself in some pretty special company.

• Like 1

The member we're thinking of was (and I'm sure still is) a great guy.  Family members were cured through Mak Ti Sin's advice and/or Fu's and boom he ended up a true believer.  The terrifying power of a healer and group acceptance.  I had conversations with MTS here on the bums, but I can't help but think he's gotten darker and more paranoid over the years. 

There was another forum that was joined by MTS, he posted several times a day.  His followers would echo his posts and praise him there.  In short order he took over the forum and his posts were full of swearing and who his people should be against.  Always on the look out for enemies.  Currently even the (walking) dead aren't safe :)

You've just boosted his Maoshan street cred. 

The member we're thinking of was (and I'm sure still is) a great guy. Family members were cured through Mak Ti Sin's advice and/or Fu's and boom he ended up a true believer. The terrifying power of a healer and group acceptance. I had conversations with MTS here on the bums, but I can't help but think he's gotten darker and more paranoid over the years.

There was another forum that was joined by MTS, he posted several times a day. His followers would echo his posts and praise him there. In short order he took over the forum and his posts were full of swearing and who his people should be against. Always on the look out for enemies. Currently even the (walking) dead aren't safe :)

FWIW, the walking dead should never be taken lightly...

:)

• Like 3