Astral Monk

Stop Deleting Your Posts!

This trend of ppl deleting their posts is extremely annoying and aggravating. Nothing like opening a thread in a discussion forum to find a bunch of blank posts.

This is akin to saying something to someone, then when they reply responding with 'no it wasnt me, I didnt say anything, you hearing things'.

If youre that concerned about your content DONT post in the first place. We (some of us) are here to learn, and we can learn from mistakes as well as wins.

RANT!!!!

But plz, stop doing that ppl.

kind regards,

8)

• Like 4

Indeed, Monk, those comments in post #3 were spot on! And really opened my eyes to some deep truths. But I thought there wasnt a text containing that info? Source?

8)

• Like 1

Let people control how they handle their own minds.  Some people change their mind sometimes.  Some do it often.  Let them.  Explore why yours reacts to that a certain way, instead of asking them to adjust theirs to your specs.  More mileage in the long run. 

• Like 3

Of my post count of 17 I think I have deleted only one.

Have I stuck my foot in my mouth?  Sure have.  But I leave them so that others can see how messed up I am.

Let people control how they handle their own minds.  Some people change their mind sometimes.  Some do it often.  Let them.  Explore why yours reacts to that a certain way, instead of asking them to adjust theirs to your specs.  More mileage in the long run. 

lol, I have no choice but to let ppl handle their own minds.  It's their post non-content that bugs me.  I get making a mistake here and there or taking back a post made in haste, but its a real trend now to just delete like everything you post.  Which is really contrary to the spirit of a forum.  Maybe those that enjoy this might ask themselves why they are bothering to engage a discussion forum at all, when they dont want anyone to see what theyve discussed. 

Anyway, all I can do is rant about it, so there you go. At the end of the day to each their own.

8)

Someone's freedom to do anything that's a free choice always inconveniences someone else.  My cat sits in my chair right now.  I want that chair for myself.  Do I delete remove the cat?  Convenient for me, inconvenient for the cat.  No way around it.    

Someone has started an argument in my thread.  I have no time and patience to engage.  I can't tell them to shut up.  Do I delete my thread or do I shut up and look like I've nothing to say, making them right by default, as the last man standing, whereas I think they're wrong, but don't have the time or desire to argue my position any further -- yet don't want it to look as though they've pronounced their last triumphant word (because from where I'm looking they're full of shit, last word or not?)  Oh, there's one more option.  Delete my post.  Leave them hanging with their triumph.  Inconvenience them.  If I can do it to my beloved cat, I sure can do it to them.  

Gandhi used to inconvenience the British with nonaction.  Deleting posts can be many things, including peaceful protest, reversing an action to turn it into nonaction as a form of resistance.  Or it can be a whim.  The cat doesn't have to be in my chair, he could have chosen not to get in my chair to begin with, knowing he's been removed thence many times before.   But he chooses to inconvenience me.  So I choose to inconvenience him.  As long as no one uses brute force (like gluing the cat to the chair so the decision once made to take that spot can't be reversed -- or gluing me to the chair so the cat can never inconvenience me anymore, I'll drag the chair on my ass for all eternity rather than let him...  no wait...  not very convenient either, come to think of it?..)  

So...  I say, let them inconvenience, annoy, etc. -- it can't be avoided and it can be taken in stride, with minimal effort on one's part.  But don't glue them to the chair.     

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Im still on the " leave the post alone once it has been responded to" side of this,because I think its obnoxious and disruptive not to. Even so, if one is embarrassed ,or just got off the track,,realized they were insulting or something its probably better to occasionally back up and remove the bad parts.

Folks who do it all the time should be made aware that its bad form though.

Then we can leave it the way it is and bear a bit of appropriate tolerance going foward.

• Like 1

Nah I'll continue to delete mine. Sorry not sorry.

Okay by me.  I don't read your posts anyhow.

(Just kidding.  You know I read your posts in threads I am involved in.)

• Like 1

Okay by me.  I don't read your posts anyhow.

(Just kidding.  You know I read your posts in threads I am involved in.)

I keep a private collection of yours.

• Like 2

Nah I'll continue to delete mine. Sorry not sorry.

. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

To disallow it is stealing.  Happened to me twice in the past.  You have a falling out with whoever is in tech charge, they lock you out.  All your context becomes theirs, you can't remove it, reclaim it, or stop them from plagiarizing it and using it as their own.  Which they promptly did.  Disgusting to the max.  

To jam an ownership stake into someone else's creative property, the outcome of their investing time, perhaps money into training, perhaps sweat and tears into arriving at this particular bit of creative offering -- to grab it and claim any ownership rights over it -- "it's not yours anymore -- the moment I saw it, it became mine, yes, just because you weren't paranoid enough to protect it by never showing it to anyone, it's now mine, na na na na!  I want to grab what's yours and make it mine instead, and you can't do anything about it!" --

this form of stealing is not punishable by law (at least not yet, it may change, who knows -- intellectual property rights are in constant flux in the age of social media), but morally, it stinks to high heaven right now.  

If some people are not comfortable with being unable to grab and/or arrest what's not theirs at a forum and call it "their" property, why don't they go all the way.  Steal a car, rob a bank.  Pick a pocket at least, for chrissake.  Too chicken for that, huh.  But not too chicken to steal from me and gallop into the sunset on your high horse?..  Go steal a stick of gum.  Relieve yourself.  It cost less to the manufacturer than a post of mine cost to me, or anyone else's, to them.       

• Like 1

If a post manifested and then reverted to wuji, from the taoist perspective it's tao.  "To and fro goes the Way."   

And don't forget those buddhist monks who spend months on end working dawn to dusk, creating an amazing mandala in colored sand, and then take a broom and sweep it away in one whoosh. 

2217_b5c01503041b70d41d80e3dbe31bbd8c.pn

1310_SandMandala6-212.jpg

mandala.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

Not suggesting ppl shouldnt have control over their content. Rather that they should be smart about it before hitting 'post', and should keep in mind the point of a text based forum--which is to read content, not blank spaces.

And if ppl are free to delete content to satisfy themselves and disrupt the flow of conversations, I'm free to rant about it.

But read this while you can, it will expire shortly when I change my mind and turn it into a period.

8)

To jam an ownership stake into someone else's creative property, the outcome of their investing time, perhaps money into training, perhaps sweat and tears into arriving at this particular bit of creative offering -- to grab it and claim any ownership rights over it -- "it's not yours anymore -- the moment I saw it, it became mine, yes, just because you weren't paranoid enough to protect it by never showing it to anyone, it's now mine, na na na na! I want to grab what's yours and make it mine instead, and you can't do anything about it!" --

this form of stealing is not punishable by law (at least not yet, it may change, who knows -- intellectual property rights are in constant flux in the age of social media), but morally, it stinks to high heaven right now.

If some people are not comfortable with being unable to grab and/or arrest what's not theirs at a forum and call it "their" property, why don't they go all the way. Steal a car, rob a bank. Pick a pocket at least, for chrissake. Too chicken for that, huh. But not too chicken to steal from me and gallop into the sunset on your high horse?.. Go steal a stick of gum. Relieve yourself. It cost less to the manufacturer than a post of mine cost to me, or anyone else's, to them.

• Like 1

A forum is not like a sand mandala. We have an expectation of finding something here. This isnt snapchat.

If that is the new way of things I dont see the point of a forum at all.

>shrugs<

8)

• Like 1

I'm all for rants, AM.  But those are also the prime candidates for eventually turning into periods IMO.  With a rant, timing is everything.  Who would want to preserve at a forum, for everyone to see for all eternity, a rant about too many horses defiling the streets of Paris, London and New York with too much manure?..  And they used to rant about it in newspapers all the time!

And as my son put it, "the only difference between a rant and an essay is punctuation."  And who's to say that punctuation can't be reduced to one point?  Sometimes it doesn't take more to make a point.  Especially after it has already been made and has grown old. 

• Like 1

I´ve written things before that I later thought better of.  Sometimes one or the other has to go, the post or the poster.  I usually opt to delete the post. 

That said, it is slightly irksome when someone who usually says interesting things chooses to delete.  I solve this problem by checking taobums every five minutes.  Sure, it cuts into other things I might be doing with my life but we all gotta make choices. :ph34r:

• Like 4