Coaster

More confusion is coming

I hate when people adopt spiritual terms for crass material purposes ("guru", "avatar", etc.).

Now it's our turn:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/wireless-charging-may-not-be-doomed-to-irrelevance-112784007394.html

(Note that cellphone charging is probably the biggest "first world problem" currently, so I expect this use of our term to eclipse its original meaning very soon. :(

"Qi" means a lot of things.

But not "A corporation making billions of dollars off a flaw in smartphones".

But not "A corporation making billions of dollars off a flaw in smartphones".

Meh, let them :) It's not like it really affects us in any way.

Ultimately no.

But in the future, when you say practice Qi Cultivation, the reply will be " You have a special way of charging your phone?  That's cool. "

• Like 3

Lol, did you see my "what does Qi Cultivation mean to you" thread? That answer right there was so appropriate.

Ultimately no.

But in the future, when you say practice Qi Cultivation, the reply will be " You have a special way of charging your phone? That's cool. "

First world problems... ;-)

• Like 1

I said that in the original post. :)

except you were referring to the erminology of cordless charging whereas I'm referring to complaints about the terminology of cordless charging ;)

First world problems... ;-)

I get that from my teenage daughter all the time.

Its almost not worth complaining to her B)

• Like 1

are any complaints legit anymore?

Its been rough.  how rough you ask-

My wrist watch broke which meant a trip to Switzerland to get it fixed.  Then at my airfield I backed the lambordini into the lear jet.  One problem after another!  oh the troubles i've seen.   :closedeyes:

Truthfully (mostly) I was at a college information dinner yesterday.  One woman said, 'The school has a great equestrian program, my daughter went there and brought her horse with her.'  The other woman said, 'We applied to that school.  After filling out the long application form, they accepted our horse, but not our son!'  :D

• Like 2

I would like to see Qi-branded yoga mats that charge you and your paper-flexible phone up while doing the Sirisana stretch. Kind of a electric-blanket-cum-wireless-nutrition. Your iWatch could have a nice "wat? chi!" custom band on it too.

• Like 2

(Note that cellphone charging is probably the biggest "first world problem" currently, so I expect this use of our term to eclipse its original meaning very soon. :(

Sorry to take this on a tangent, but.. what is a "First World Problem"? Is this any problem that only someone in the "First World" can face, or does it refer specifically to problems anywhere that aren't truly serious problems (in which case someone in the "Third World" could have a "First World Problem") ?

I hope people don't truly believe that the "First World" doesn't have any serious problems...

Edited by dustybeijing

except you were referring to the erminology of cordless charging whereas I'm referring to complaints about the terminology of cordless charging ;)

^^^ The study of ermine?

• Like 1

^^^ The study of ermine?

Writing on a phone is SUCH an annoyance. When will someone FINALLY develop a phone that writes what I WANT it to write?!?

Mynd you, 3rmin3 bites Kan be pretty nasti...

ermine_mustela_erminea.jpg

An 3rmin3 once bit my sister...

• Like 1

Sorry to take this on a tangent, but.. what is a "First World Problem"? Is this any problem that only someone in the "First World" can face, or does it refer specifically to problems anywhere that aren't truly serious problems (in which case someone in the "Third World" could have a "First World Problem") ?

I hope people don't truly believe that the "First World" doesn't have any serious problems...

It's not so much any of that...

The phrase is used to belittle the "problems" of the "priveliged". A teenager in the first world might cry if they don't get their pony...whereas a starving child of the third world seems to not kick up such a fuss despite being more disadvantaged. Sorry for the stereotype...just easier to explain this way.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

I think the term really is a bit elitist (or perhaps a hell of a lot of elitist). There are people living in developing countries who have "first-world" problems. Does anyone ever refer to a well-to-do Guyanese as having a first-world problem when he whines about the SD card on his phone being full and the electronics store is closed Sundays? I don't know, but I doubt it.

In Germany, we call it a "luxury problem", btw.

I think the term really is a bit elitist (or perhaps a hell of a lot of elitist). There are people living in developing countries who have "first-world" problems. Does anyone ever refer to a well-to-do Guyanese as having a first-world problem when he whines about the SD card on his phone being full and the electronics store is closed Sundays? I don't know, but I doubt it.

In Germany, we call it a "luxury problem", btw.

You mean, for example, it is disrespectul to actual first world problems i.e homelessness etc?

• Like 1

Seems to me that problems are problems whoever has them and wherever they arise.

It's how we choose to deal with problems that counts.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

You mean, for example, it is disrespectul to actual first world problems i.e homelessness etc?

huh, no, I wasn't thinking of that angle, but it's an important one, thank you, Rara.

I only meant people can have these problems whether they live in the "first world" or the "third world", or wherever.

• Like 1

True, shit happens, we grow old.. then more shit happens. 

Yet, as my daughter uses the phrase, to sarcastically and accurately express 'Stop complaining, you've got it good.'

about people with 3rd world problems..

apologies to the sensitive..

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Is "first world problems" the only use of the term "first world" these days? I've been 'taught' for a long time that we've moved on from such rank terminology. (Although developed/developing doesn't do much to avoid the banner-waving "we're better than you" perspective either.)

Still, I'm up for anything that gets people reflecting on the "first world" solutions developed and depended on over many decades. It is easy to take things like running water, flushing toilets and social media for granted.

• Like 2