HoldorFold

Preparing Fo-Ti root

Am looking to get some Ho Shou Wu (Fo-Ti) and the good stuff seems pretty expensive so was thining of buying it raw and then preparing it myself.

There's very little online that I can find on how to prepare it. The best info I've got is that you have to boil black beans for 4 hours and then re-usethe blackbeans in less water for 3 hours, and then combine the brew and stew the Fo-Ti in it for several hours. The ratio seems to be 1-10 for blackbeans to Fo-Ti but it doesn't say how much water to use or how to dry the Fo-Ti afterwards and for how long.

That's all the info I've got, has anyone got a more detailed method for preparing Fo-Ti root?

• Like 1

Oh, I know absolutely nothing about fo ti but I've made tinctures from roots and if you'd like to know how to do that I can give you the info.

buying it raw

Curious, where you are getting it raw?

I've only ever seen it prepared.  I'd be interested in trying it raw, fresh.

Buy it prepared only, raw form is TOXIC:

Some info.

Please be very careful with what you are doing unless you are a trained TCM herbalist.

Try this place to buy the prepared form.

• Like 2

Curious, where you are getting it raw?

I've only ever seen it prepared.  I'd be interested in trying it raw, fresh.

Not 100% sure yet, but I've noticed some cheaper options out there like here: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/fo-ti-root/profile

Where you can get a pound for $12.50... have to look around more there's probably even better deals elsewhere.

As far as I'm aware, processing it isn't that difficult. You just boil it in black bean brew...

* The best info I've found online about preperation is on this page: http://www.itmonline.org/arts/hoshouwu.htm

I'm just missing the water ratio and drying methods.

Edited by HoldorFold