Sign in to follow this  
scribe

Am here

Greetings, just signed up and thought I'd say hi. I don't know why I'm here and haven't read through things too much yet. It seems like a nice place though.

I've been interested in the tao for about a decade, which sound longer than 10 years. A good friend introduced me to the Tao Te Ching, and it went from there. I've mostly been reading half a dozen books and letting it all wash over me in time. I practice tai chi infrequently. More recently I started out with the I Ching and it scares me to the point of laughter.

Looking forward to listening to all your voices.

• Like 2

Hello scribe, and welcome to the forums!

Glad you found your way to us. I think you'll fit right in. Lot's of discussion here around the Daodejing, and Taiji, too! :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TTB team

Thanks, Soaring. I always like to watch a forum at first to get a feel for the ambience, but will jump in if the mood takes me...

The I Ching scares you?  That strikes me as peculiar ,,, then again , I dont know how anyone else sees it.

.....you fear its scarily prophetic ? I suppose.

• Like 2

The I Ching scares you?  That strikes me as peculiar ,,, then again , I dont know how anyone else sees it.

.....you fear its scarily prophetic ? I suppose.

=) yes, eery would be a good word perhaps. I'm fairly new to it, and I'm looking to understand it better - currently it would be fair to say I have half a handle on it, but it seems to have more of a handle on me.

Perhaps there's a subtle difference between being scared and being afraid. Or rather, a logical part of me finds various coincidences 'spooky'. To an illogical part of me, not exercised much, the coincidences feel almost natural, comforting.

Maybe it's time to find an i ching teacher? Does that even make sense?

=) yes, eery would be a good word perhaps. I'm fairly new to it, and I'm looking to understand it better - currently it would be fair to say I have half a handle on it, but it seems to have more of a handle on me.

Perhaps there's a subtle difference between being scared and being afraid. Or rather, a logical part of me finds various coincidences 'spooky'. To an illogical part of me, not exercised much, the coincidences feel almost natural, comforting.

Maybe it's time to find an i ching teacher? Does that even make sense?

Well , there is a lot to it, I personally don't pay any attention to the I Ching at all, so I couldnt point you at anybody ,, ( maybe you should consult the I Ching  :) )   , but inspiration is where you find it, and Im sure there are some folks here who can comment on it better than me. I see odd coincidence all over the place, but , since I cant put it to any use.. I just let it be.

To me , the habit of letting things just be, rather than pursuing- altering- interfering-predicting is one I am better off adopting... even about things relating to me. It balances my nature, which isn't innately like that.,, but thats just me.. may not be you. I doubt it could hurt to look for a teacher as long as you keep your eyes open. 

To me , the habit of letting things just be, rather than pursuing- altering- interfering-predicting is one I am better off adopting... even about things relating to me. It balances my nature, which isn't innately like that.,, but thats just me.. may not be you. I doubt it could hurt to look for a teacher as long as you keep your eyes open. 

This makes a lot of sense too. There are two aspects of the i ching - divination, and a description of 'how things work' - which work along side each other. My experience from tai chi is learning when to act and when not to act - I don't know if this is different to when to let things be, and when not to. That is, when should you let yourself (as part of a connected situation) act, and when should you let yourself refrain?

Maybe some meta i ching is called for indeed ;-)

Yep,it may be a tough call...leave it be, not leave it be...ummm I dont know :)

Not taking action, waiting to see whats going to happen ,only acting when the repercussions directly are of real importance,, well its not bringing headaches on onesself.

One thing is sure, we are our own biggest problem ,so self restraint is a wise call. Just dont be so restrained that you cant follow your heart. Right?

Sign in to follow this