Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

The Living Force

What do you all think about The Living Force that is "already here now".

How do you think this relates to reading philosophy books by dead people?

Discuss.

Discuss.

wow, i think this is a great question, and i hope others will respond!

i think it relates to getting hung up on various lineages as well!

i commented a little on this in my very first post in the lobby. people believing that older is better. somehow it's more authentic if it's precisely what was practiced 2,000 years ago.

humanity has changed and shifted considerably since ancient times. there is much we can learn from those who came before us, but our lives are the manifestation of the living force here and now, and i think it's a mistake to undervalue our current relation to the here and now in favor of some idea of

"old, and, therefore, more authentic."

i love my old philosophy books. i consider chuang tzu and nietzsche to be two of my best friends. but my 'here and now' connection to the everything is what i trust most of all.

i don't know if this is exactly what you were getting at, but that's my $0.02.

Discuss.

What do we read? The Philosophy book or the idea?

People die but if their ideas have truth, they stay alive. That living force that is "already here now" is also in the philosophy in a book by a dead person (otherwise it's just a bunch of malarky).

:)

How do we know if a philosophy has "Living Force"? Intuitively perhaps...

Discuss.

you are the book, you are the philosopher, you are dead, you are the living force - it is all already here, now - and you are the reason!

unless you're not

"A fish cannot comprehend the existence of water. He is too deeply immersed in it." - Sir Oliver Lodge

Thanks Cat! That was wonderful.

What is Erhebung, though? Maybe Sunshine knows?

The Living Force hides behind my thoughts. The thought processes were very helpful in problem solving and vital to survival and consequently selected by evolution but have achieved a level of supremacy in the organism that has some unwanted consequences (anxiety, distraction from life experience,...). Reading the works of philospophers, both living and dead, has helped to raise my awareness of this pattern. Their work has pointed me to the door that I must pass through alone to be reunited. There are many gurus and the like who claim to have the key, method, technique... I'm beginning to believe that this is a part of the problem. If we accept a method or a leader, we simply reinforce the illusion that "someone" is there searching. Letting go of the search still implies there is "someone" there to let go. Sometimes it finds itself, sometimes not. We'll see...

Cameron, if you haven't read it you may want to check out Alan Watts' Behold the Spirit: A Study in the Necessity of Mystical Religion. He wrote it at a time when he was trying to delve into Christianity, so it takes on that form, but applies to all. He addresses the "Eternal Now" as the best "idea" of God. He also quotes extensively from the TTC and Zen writings. Sure he is a dead guy, but his thesis is a "do it yourself" idea.

I am pretty sick of book reading.

For now it will be study with Sifu Max..being out in nature..intuition.

I am pretty sick of book reading.

For now it will be study with Sifu Max..being out in nature..intuition.

That actually would pretty much sum up Watts' idea : )

Sign in to follow this