Sign in to follow this  
soaring crane

The profile star system / split from member rankings thread

(Split from the member rankings thread as I feel this a worthy topic in its own right)

This reminded me of something: the star system in the personal profiles. I feel that should be eliminated, have never seen the use in it and have noticed that it can be applied as a revenge tool.

• Like 2

Publicly rating people.. something pretty much unique to the internet, isn't it..?

Seems quite bizarre when you think about it, but these things are so widely accepted now; I barely batted an eyelid at first.

• Like 1

I've been down to one or two at times. I'd like to know what others think about the system in general. It gets very little attention, and there are no statistics, you don't know how many people actually clicked your stars.

I've been down to one or two at times. I'd like to know what others think about the system in general. It gets very little attention, and there are no statistics, you don't know how many people actually clicked your stars.

I actually don't even look at them and rarely visit a member's profile.

I'm pretty sure I was just bullshitting in the above post because I don't know if I ever had five stars.

But yeah, I think the system might be helpful to some of our members, just like the "Like" rating.  We get to see who is "Like"ing who's posts.  It give us a bit of an idea of what others are interested in.

• Like 1

For many months last year I was at 1 star. I did wonder how many people I'd pissed off that much... but I'm sure people I've met in person rate me worse, so I'm not going to let it bother me. In terms of personability I'm probably a 2 anyway ^_^

Clearly online interactions are already a step or two removed from "real life", and though it doesn't happen on TDB nearly as much as elsewhere online, there's a tendency to treat each other as less than human. So I do think that being able to rate people as if they were electronics bought on eBay probably exacerbates that.

• Like 2

Methinks most scores are from people we've either vastly impressed or pissed off.  So most have a handful of scores of 5 stars or zeros. 

• Like 2

Methinks most scores are from people we've either vastly impressed or pissed off.  So most have a handful of scores of 5 stars or zeros. 

hmm, yeah, that's a good point. I get we're all threesies in the end :-)

hmm, yeah, that's a good point. I get we're all threesies in the end :-)

Well damn!  I'm at four.  I guess I need to piss some more people off and drop one level.

It always feels great when I go to my profile and see 3 stars out of 5...like I'm a bad movie on Netflix. Thanks daobums.

• Like 3

If you're not pissing off a few people

every now and then,

you're probably not
fully expressing yourself. B)

• Like 6

If you're not pissing off a few people

every now and then,

you're probably not

fully expressing yourself. B)

:lol:  i am not even trying to piss anyone off either :ph34r:

B) like a boss.

(Split from the member rankings thread as I feel this a worthy topic in its own right)

This reminded me of something: the star system in the personal profiles. I feel that should be eliminated, have never seen the use in it and have noticed that it can be applied as a revenge tool.

I dont think we should eliminate it; it's a collective, innit?

Just because one or two people remove stars doesnt mean twelve or forty eight people wont be adding all 5...

I think it's a decent means of actually seeing your own reputation level - in case you care to be a more respected person or not.

I don't personally care how my stars are, i am what i am and that's not my problem  :lol:   but i do enjoy seeing what others think of me...

Edited by Vanir Thunder Dojo Tan
  • Like 2

Eliminated :)

• Like 2

There was a precedent set by not having the "dislike" button... so this seems consistent to not need have this.

As well, if five people touch it, you see the last one only... and no record or accumulation of anything.   

Added:  It does appear to be a form of average rating.

• Like 1

erh, uh, does did it or does did it not average the ratings?

My added note says that I think it averages them...  so the best you can get in the end... is ... average :)

I just joined August or something, and I started off with 5 stars - presumably like everyone else. I think I noticed that dawei had last visited my profile (this was a month or two ago) and I suddenly had 1 star, so in my mind I thought dawei had rated me poorly.

Whether that's the case or not is not my business, as I'm not here to please anyone or particularly to make friends, but it did create a [?] in my mind: what did I do to dawei? I guess I should avoid that guy. Later (as in today), I find out that he's a fantastic administrator and is making positive changes to the site's code at my own and others' requests.

And of course, I don't know who rated me.

The anonymity of the star system can result in inaccurate presumptions among members. Furthermore, if someone dislikes you and rates you poorly, and 10 people like you and don't rate you at all, what does it all mean?

I'm glad it's gone, personally. Opinionating on your comrades, especially passive-aggressively through anonymity, just doesn't smell of Dao to me.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this