mewtwo

Caffeine pills?

So whats the consensus on caffeine pills? I looking more form a general health perspective not from an Ayurvedic / tcm perspective. Thought I would ask here cause its a very diverse group here. I do prefer a redbull or nos but they have a ton of sugar and such and doing the math there is around 200 mg's of caffeine in a 20oz red bull and there is the same in 1 caffeine pill.

Edited by mewtwo

In my experience caffiene creates imbalance in the energy system.  It seems to deplete energy by using it rapidly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine_dependence

You could try yerba mate, its got a relatively low caffiene content with other alkaloids that produce a more balanced stimulation.

Love and Light

Tony

• Like 2

I agree with the above. With high caffeine comes a big come down.

A diet including good veg, pulses and anything that contains electrolytes will help maintain vitality. I always say if you think you need coffee, you probably need sleep. Or a glass of water and a banana XD

Edited by Rara

since i started a proper meditation practice, caffeine is kinda a no-no. last time i had a big cup of coffee i felt on edge and jittery the entire day afterward :blink:

i find a green tea in the morning provides a small amount of caffeine but in a more balanced way. you get the antioxidant and bowel cleansing effects without disturbing the mind or revving up the physical system too much (bad for jing). sorry if that isn't helpful, just echoing the other comments that caffeine is more trouble than it's worth. i would look into ginseng as a big pick me up substance.

• Like 2

I considered caffeine pills once, just to keep at work as an alternative to the baby cokes I tend to use when I forget my morning cuppa... :-)

Don't remember why I didn't pursue that route, as it would eliminate the corn syrup and other crap, but since then I have heard of actual deaths from caffeine pills and energy drinks! Did you google it? My memory is there were questions about inconsistent dosages in the pills, combining them with other energy drinks or OTC meds, and individual sensitivity to caffeine. Wouldn't touch 'em now! 

I find chocolate covered coffee beans consumed with a couple pecans offers an attractive alternative... :-)

Caffeine produces dull-mindedness.

During use, blood vessels open up, increasing blood flow in the brain. The body's homeostasis functions then push against this by trying to contract the blood vessels when caffiene is present.

When stopping after chronic use, this compensation is going on for some time afterwards, still contracting the blood vessels despte the caffiene being stopped. This results in lower blood flow in the brain.

Energy drinks seem chemically designed to utterly destroy energy and metabolism functions to produce addiction, lethargy, and even chronic,,, idiocy.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

I have written a topic on caffeine pills a while ago. (You should be able to find it.) Got some more insights now I guess. People keep saying that according to studies, moderate regular intake of caffeine helps the brain develop better.

If you don't up the dosage (max. 1 pill a day), it's probably fine. I used the pills a while ago to chase away depression-like moods based on lack of energy.

Currently I try to avoid them, because I am exploring the strategy of fully giving in to tiredness and lack of energy and making the best of that. It was my desire to get stuff done that made me take the pills, because after many years of lack of fulfillment, consciously deciding to not do anything (basically apathetic slacking) is maybe the hardest thing to do. But repeatedly running against walls sucks, too.

Moonlighting as a minicab ( unlicensed) taxi driver when I was in college I used - over the counter bought -caffeine pills for a short time.

After about five nights of taking the recommended dosage of those I got the shits and the shakes and had difficulty sleeping at all.

Threw the pills away and was OK again after a couple of days.

For years now we've been on decaff tea and coffee for no other reason than Mrs GMP prefers those.

Odd times I have caffeinated tea or coffee if we're out then I get a slight 'buzz' from it.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Moonlighting as a minicab ( unlicensed) taxi driver when I was in college I used - over the counter bought -caffeine pills for a short time.

Hahaha...I bet this is only skimming the surface of legendary stories. I want to hear more!

• Like 1

I use 'em some days...400 mg usually. Never noticed any negative effects, as long as I remember to drink extra water, but there is a lot of talk about coffee is both beneficial and also not as healthy. Pills vs. actual drinks containing caffeine? I can't see why it would make a difference, but I do know that some people who have no problem with coffee can get an upset stomach on caffeine pills...

Hahaha...I bet this is only skimming the surface of legendary stories. I want to hear more!

That's all I ever took drugs wise but some of the cabbies were drugged up to the eyeballs on uppers.

You had to work long hours to make serious money.

I only drove on evenings and weekends.

Our taxi base was on Streatham Hill in London just up the road from Brixton and friends said I was mad to be driving a cab round Brixton at night.