Sign in to follow this  
rex

Vexatious Moderating

Vexatious? That's a very strong word and I don't think it's justified here in the least. In fact, I want to question your understanding of just how severe it is, and hope you don't mean it quite literally. Regardless, we're all amateurs here, trying to do the best for the most people, and as the old saying goes, if you think you can do better, please do.

Maybe some day you'll need someone to go to bat for you here and the person to do it will be one of us (or whatever the mod team is on that day).

fwiw, Rex, your original post was completely understandable and reasonable, and would have got a perfectly reasonable response if someone from staff had had a chance to reply before the attacks began. Go back to it and see if you can recognize where it first took a sour, negative turn. It didn't take long.

And when the honest explanation from Dawei came, it was met with more baseless accusations. In other forums, threads disappear all the time, with no discussion, no explanation. Maybe that's where we're headed -- anonymous, faceless, ruthless moderation with no voice for the members to quesiton or participate in the decision-making process. Boy, I sure hope not.

Back to the original topic: The very existence of Flo's thread simply became painful to Flo. Can any of you see that? Can you appreciate the level of desperation a person has to feel in order to even start a thread like that? What's more important to you? A couple paragraphs of text that you wrote once in the internet, or a person's well-being?

Are you going to re-open the thread you lockd so we can continue there?

• Like 1

Are you going to re-open the thread you lockd so we can continue there?

Nope. Are you going to address my post in its entirety?

Regarding this new thread: Vexatious describes intentional harrassment and that's a very strong accusation to make here. Criticize our competency all you want, and you'll probably get quite a lot of agreement, but you're calling our motives into question. Do you believe there was a deliberate effort in place to attack and harrass someone? If you do, please link to the content to support your view.

That's the meaning from within the context of jurisprudence but, if you check the OED, the first definition is:

Causing or tending to cause annoyance, frustration, or worry

This doesn't imply intent or motive, it only describes effect. Given the reaction, I think annoyance, frustration and worry seem to have been the effect.

Personally, I think publicly moving it to Flo's PPF would have been a cleaner approach. (This is actually one of the options I described to another Bum who contacted me recently via PM to ask that an embarrassingly revelatory thread the Bum had started be deleted/hidden.)

• Like 1

That's the meaning from within the context of jurisprudence but, if you check the OED, the first definition is:

This doesn't imply intent or motive, it only describes effect. Given the reaction, I think annoyance, frustration and worry seem to have been the effect.

Personally, I think publicly moving it to Flo's PPF would have been a cleaner approach. (This is actually one of the options I described to another Bum who contacted me recently via PM to ask that an embarrassingly revelatory thread the Bum had started be deleted/hidden.)

Now, thats what i call a reasonable and level-headed view. 

Vexatious as I've used it and read it in legal (translations of) documents always invloves an amount of intention. The basis of vexatious moderation would be intentional harrassment of members here, and as I said, it's a heavy accusation that calls for concrete evidence. Here are a few usage examples, not all of them legal in nature:

http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/vexatious

Perhaps Rex was thinking of vexing, which is like vexatious light and much more closely related to the definition you posted. And admittedly accurate to an extent. But nobody resorts to the word vexatious when he simply means annoying, frustrating or exasperating.

And my question remains. What about the rest of my post?

No, it shoud not be (or not have been) moved to Flo's PPF because it would still be in the public forum. Anyone who doesn't understand that, simply doesn't understand the reality of this issue. The lack of compassion for Flo is really starting to get my hackles up and now I've exhausted everything I have to say on the subject.

• Like 1

the only thing i remember from my 6 years of pig latin

is the phrase 'fidious stupidious' meaning- let it go;

lit.> you've waxed that pig til its a squealing mess. 

Fidious Stupidious people, fidious stupidious.

• Like 2

Those who see fit to add fuel to the fire by continuing their attempt to debate this matter should ask themselves the following.

Do they feel any embarrassment for themselves? If not why not?

As Sean has already stated his intent to compose new guidelines for the moderation of the forum (see post 16 http://thedaobums.com/topic/37699-question/)  I can see no good reason for the continuance of the thread.

• Like 3

Those who see fit to add fuel to the fire by continuing their attempt to debate this matter should ask themselves the following.

Do they feel any embarrassment for themselves? If not why not?

You really don't want me to join this one, do you?  I joined the other one and it got locked.