Perceiver

Anyone into astral travel?

Been thinking about trying this out.

Robert Bruce has supposedly invented the "rope technique", which lets you astral travel relatively easy.

Since my kundalini experience I've had some experiences I believe to be astral in nature.

They usually all start the same way: Being conscious suddenly in a dream state. Can feel my body lying in the bed, warm. Body is buzzing all over. Especially at chest area. Feels and sounds like a washing machine spinning at great speed. Then it stops, and then something in the dream starts to change. Someitmes an opening in the fabric of the dream will start to show itself. Sometimes I'm just transported to a new place. Sometimes I'm just in my room, but a version of my room with more dull colors.

In the beginning four years ago I had some negative experiences, probably because of all of my fear. Seeing negative entities and so on.

Since I've become more positive about the whole thing I don't see them anymore. Now it's only positive sights. They can be quite beatiful. Some days ago, probably ten days or s,o I was seeing what seemed to be a sand-colored ancient Assyrian building against a bright blue sky.

Maybe it's only lucid dreaming, I don't know for sure. But I do know that I'm conscious.

Anyways, my main point is this: What's the benefit in astral travelling? Do you progress spiritually from it? Or is it something you should just do because it's fun?

If it's effortless I can't see that it would be an issue. Otherwise it's a waste of time in a state of desire for something you don't have.

Stick to your game plan no matter what state you're in.

Re:

-----

"Anyways, my main point is this: What's the benefit in astral travelling? Do you progress spiritually from it? Or is it something you should just do because it's fun?"

-----

Astral travel is what you are doing when you graduate from human life into the spirit world. This human body is the placenta for our consciousness (spirit body).

So doing now is like living in contact with the next realm while still alive. It is contact and interaction of a wider existence in a wider realm that is our destiny.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 4

Anyways, my main point is this: What's the benefit in astral travelling? Do you progress spiritually from it? Or is it something you should just do because it's fun?

No, you won't. Deva-like powers in human form, that's what they are...and they are good in reinforcing the EGO. Some pick up this siddhi quickly due to past karma others don't get it no matter how much effort they put into (as already mentioned in the first reply).

1) Work hard on those fetters that are ensuring your rebirth will take place in the next round; 2) develop a compassionate and loving mind, these are the main factors that make you progress "spiritually."

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

I don't really see the difference between astral travel and lucid dreaming, although this may come from the fact that I've never successfully astrally traveled but I have had lucid dreams. However, the reports of others regarding astral travel match what I experience with dreams. 

I DO find that there is tremendous value in cultivating awareness in dreams. Not in order to fly around and indulge in fantasies, but because there is value in cultivating awareness in all states, and one's study of the dream/sleep state tends to loosen the attachments and sufferings in the waking state. 

• Like 1

I have looked into the non astral dreams of avid astral travellers, and find as the previous poster mentioned that their non astral dreams do suggest that most people use astral travel to "fly around and indulge in fantasies", often taking their sleeping and dream state to be a ticket to a personal fairground.

Sometimes people believe that they are making spiritual progress while astral travelling, but their non astral dreams suggest that where they think they see the ocean, they are in reality trapped in an artificially constructed pool, with the ocean on the other side of the pool walls, and no way to get to it astrally.

My overall feeling is that astral travel tends to involve ego, being under the control of the monkey mind. 

• Like 1

What is it that travels in "astral" travel?

Is it the "Spirit Body"?

Could not be what is called "Energy Body" - made of heat, and such, that never leave Earth atmosphere.

What is the thing that is travelling, and how does it travel?

Where does it go?

I wonder what people think.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Been thinking about trying this out.

Robert Bruce has supposedly invented the "rope technique", which lets you astral travel relatively easy.

Since my kundalini experience I've had some experiences I believe to be astral in nature.

They usually all start the same way: Being conscious suddenly in a dream state. Can feel my body lying in the bed, warm. Body is buzzing all over. Especially at chest area. Feels and sounds like a washing machine spinning at great speed. Then it stops, and then something in the dream starts to change. Someitmes an opening in the fabric of the dream will start to show itself. Sometimes I'm just transported to a new place. Sometimes I'm just in my room, but a version of my room with more dull colors.

In the beginning four years ago I had some negative experiences, probably because of all of my fear. Seeing negative entities and so on.

Since I've become more positive about the whole thing I don't see them anymore. Now it's only positive sights. They can be quite beatiful. Some days ago, probably ten days or s,o I was seeing what seemed to be a sand-colored ancient Assyrian building against a bright blue sky.

Maybe it's only lucid dreaming, I don't know for sure. But I do know that I'm conscious.

Yes I am into it.

The general notion on this forum, coming from my personal experience with certain users here, is negative towards this topic. There are many other forums on the internet specifically for these kinds of topics, which might serve you better.

Edited by 4bsolute

Kind of agree that if it's already happening then just work with it, otherwise what's the point in seeking it? You're just creating more layers to detangle for yourself. It's like people who seek psychic powers -- why do that? One of the best things I learned from Tantric Buddhism is that if these things appear on the path to realization then just practice non-attachment, as they are often roadsigns of your own advancement. But to seek them for their own sake is desirous and problematic.

My lessons in the astral mostly just taught me about the different spiritual forces that are out there, the capabilities of consciousness, and gave some kind of proof positive experience that the consciousness is not the body. It's not really a state of consciousness I long to be in.

IMO the most useful part of the dream time is it deconstruct and integrate your own subconscious. Dream work is awesome for that.

Edited by Orion
  • Like 1

I've seen a few people that were heavily into astral travel come to the conclusion that they were simply lucid dreaming. I kinda think that the body never gets left - that information may be being received via electromagnetic channels which can paint an accurate picture of far away things. In any event, whether its lucid dreaming or astral travel, the practices are similar. I prefer to view all as self, all as mind anyways, so it would make no difference in that mindset.

It may have value spiritually, again depending on your mindset and purposes. Even a lot of meditation systems are little more than mental masturbations - state attainments such as calm abiding, etc.

Are you gaining insight from your practice? Healing of traumas? These sorts of things indicates its value....if its just some sort of adventure, or if you end up manifesting some sort of imbalance due to your incursions, then take note...

I've seen a few people that were heavily into astral travel come to the conclusion that they were simply lucid dreaming. I kinda think that the body never gets left - that information may be being received via electromagnetic channels which can paint an accurate picture of far away things. In any event, whether its lucid dreaming or astral travel, the practices are similar. I prefer to view all as self, all as mind anyways, so it would make no difference in that mindset.

It may have value spiritually, again depending on your mindset and purposes. Even a lot of meditation systems are little more than mental masturbations - state attainments such as calm abiding, etc.

Are you gaining insight from your practice? Healing of traumas? These sorts of things indicates its value....if its just some sort of adventure, or if you end up manifesting some sort of imbalance due to your incursions, then take note...

If I understand the literature on this subject correctly, then the common concensus is that Lucid dreaming and Astral projection are different phenomonon. 

There is a distinction and some overlaping at times.  In lucid dreaming or regular dreaming people sometimes note a phenomenon called false awakening.  During a false awakening the person may just lay in bed and not notice, or the person may get up walk around thier house and do things.  People may not even notice a false awakening or when they wake up into their physical body afterwards, they will believe that it is a dream. 

People commonly become clued into false awakenings, by realizing that they are floating, or turning over and seeing their physical bodies laying next to them. 

It is common to initiate this experience when in the sleep paralysis in the dream state.  The time when one first wakes up from a dream is the best to take advantage of this state.  In sleep paarylysis the person may try to move their physical body and end up moving the astral body due to the sleep paralysis.  People in this state report a very real feeling of a astral body.

People in this state also report intense vibrations, and sounds occasionally.  In addition the astral double of the place where you project at may not be the same as the physical counterpart.

These are commonly reported in cases of sleep induced out of body experiences.  The Secret of the Soul by William Buhlman contains many accounts of out of body experiences like these.  Stephen LaBerge reports using lucid dreaming to initiate this kind of experience in his book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.

I have also heard reports of people projecting from the different chakras in yogic lore.  Maha-Samadhi apparently is a projection from the crown chakra resulting in the death of the physical body,

Love and Light

Tony

I'm of the persuasion that most "astral travel" is simply lucid dreaming AKA an illusion. Perhaps the travel of the soul away from the body is real but I doubt many people can do it even though they think they can.

Hi there

You know, these are just words. We are not sure what to call this. I have had a myriad different states of consciousness since birth and I have been pondering on the nature of each for a long time.

At a loss for other words, I generalise by calling it trance, which is my blanket term for any waking consciousness experience I get after intense vibrations.

And contrarily to most Internet inner space travellers, I find recreational use of this a waste of precious time and energy and even potentially dangerous. There are a few precautions to take before and during projections and these must be triggered instinctively. It helps to perform a banishing ritual beforehand and calling in powerful allies before getting habitual is a good idea.

My truth is that this skill is extremely useful. Some use it for healing, others for divination, others for magick and the applications are literally unlimited. Some call it pathworking, others journeying, others trance and some even deep hypnotism. Surely there are more terms used but right now I forget.

For me it has been a fast-track tool to personal transformation and also a way of knowing myself but also much more than this. Lately I used it to apply a protection over my husband in a tricky legal issue and it worked wonders.

You can also use it if your third eye does not function close to your waking consciousness, in order to see what you normally can't.

It also has been triggered spontaneously in me when negative entities were present and seeking me out, in order to give me a chance to resist.

Regular use of trance enhances your physical life perceptive abilities. In some cases though overuse leads to frustration when people don't know how to tone down their third eye. It is important to be grounded and over-use of trance can in certain people cause symptoms similar to schizophrenia.

This is the space in which you can meet teachers and helpers. If you are able to access this state, please don't waste it as it is the most powerful tool you'll find for enhancing your physical life and hopefully that of others.

You can also travel in time and space in any direction and to any part of the multiverse. You can meet ancestors and descendants and you can also fuse with somebody to gain insight as to their outlook. The applications are virtually endless.

Edited by Astral_butterfly

Why would most people not be capable of astral protection no matter how hard they try? If they can dream couldn't they surely astral project? These abilities can be acquired energetically couldn't they? Isn't saying "you won't be able to do it no matter how hard you try" the equivalent of telling them that qigong is useless because they won't be able to cultivate chi no matter how much work and effort goes into the practice?

In my opinion allowing folks to know that they can conveniently communicate telepathically with each other, plants and animals as well as knowing what they're capable of through deep meditations (or while their bodies are at rest) can turn them on the spiritual path. Instead we rely on material things and technology (used by governments and corporations to control and enslave us). I'm aware of what Shakyamuni said about getting attached and distracted by these abilities but in today's age the spiritual path is no longer so cut and dry.

1) Work hard on those fetters that are ensuring your rebirth will take place in the next round; 2) develop a compassionate and loving mind, these are the main factors that make you progress "spiritually."

Enlightenment comes to both those who are evil and those who are good. 

Why would most people not be capable of astral protection no matter how hard they try? If they can dream couldn't they surely astral project? These abilities can be acquired energetically couldn't they? Isn't saying "you won't be able to do it no matter how hard you try" the equivalent of telling them that qigong is useless because they won't be able to cultivate chi no matter how much work and effort goes into the practice?

In my opinion allowing folks to know that they can conveniently communicate telepathically with each other, plants and animals as well as knowing what they're capable of through deep meditations (or while their bodies are at rest) can turn them on the spiritual path. Instead we rely on material things and technology (used by governments and corporations to control and enslave us). I'm aware of what Shakyamuni said about getting attached and distracted by these abilities but in today's age the spiritual path is no longer so cut and dry.

Everyone is capable of enlightenment and conscious OBE. Time is the only limiting factor. 

Enlightenment comes to both those who are evil and those who are good.

Well said. Astral projection may be a by-product of purification but purification is not a sine qua non condition for astral projection.

I am living proof of this as I have two blockages in my torso one of them being a result of nervous tension. This is rooted in my psyche somewhere and once it is cleared I will probably reach new heights in my abilities but right now I manage fine.

And as concerns evil think of all those powerful witchdoctors being so successful on the astral plane!

Edited by Astral_butterfly