Songtsan

Interesting experiment

I always wondered about, but never had the stick-to-it power, to try this:

Refuse to do anything! For at least 24 hours

Go into the most complete relaxation you can, and limit all outgoing activity. Then just see what happens as you play dead...for as long as you can stand it.

Would spontaneous movements start to occur of increasingly complex nature?

You can't scratch itches, move your limbs, or any of that stuff willingly.

The only thing you can do is not do. Just watch.

I wonder if the increasingly complex spontaneous movements would result in a person eventually standing up and moving around...

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 2

I should maybe add that one shsouldn't try to do any meditating either. Just watch all actions that are performed by 'not you' as they occur, whether internal/external.

I have tried this practice for short amounts of time and seen things of normal nature such as eye movements, breathing changes, small movements of limbs, etc.

I just wonder what would happen over long periods of time as the lack of invested energy into doing anything (including breathing) resulted in more and more interesting things happening....

you know how Kanzeon was once asked how she managed to control her thousand arms? The answer was that it was like turning over in ones sleep, or rearranging a pillow or something like that.

Would the original spirit take over?

I suppose for this exercise though, if one were truly devoted, one must be willing to 'piss their pants' :)

When I practice 'try not to breath' (i.e. don't add to breathing, nor try to take away from it), I pretty much always enter an nearly breathless state where there is almost zero diaphramatic/intercostal movement going on and the breath gets so fine as to be unnoticeable.

What I conjecture is that if one goes long enough in this 'not doing' exercise, the body will start to need to take care of needs to move, stretch, defecate/urinate, and all sorts of things in order to correct imbalances.

The sheer discipline of this type of not doing is formidable.

Edited by Songtsan

Re:

-----

"Would spontaneous movements start to occur of increasingly complex nature?

,,, I wonder if the increasingly complex spontaneous movements would result in a person eventually standing up and moving around..."

-----

Over 40 years ago I was studying Hei Kung in a small class under the supervision of my sifu and sigung, and we were doing some exercises that induced spontaneous movement. We were wearing blindfolds, but at that time, I always peeked to see what was happening. One of the students shifted out of the exercise posture and began moving as though he was walking, very slowly. His arms were moving in front of him, very slowly and gently. He appraoched a wall, and when he got to it, his arm, moving in a slow circle in front of him, went through the wall like it was made of paper.

Another student once suddenly popped up from an exercise posture, and from my view, it looked like he was picked up by his head and flung backwards and upwards, hitting a wall behind him with his head a few inches below the ceiling. I would say he flew about 8-10 feet backwards, and the celing was high - maybe about 12 feet.

These things happened among us for some while, but then we progressed and got over it.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Wow!

That's neat stuff...

I have done some pretty amazing and beautiful spontaneous martial arts dance before....I had the time of my life just being it...but then afterwards found out my back was hurt - some type of muscle spasm with nerve compression...