taoismtaoism

Tao Te Ching App

Hello,

I'm a developer and recently was introduced to Taoism. I decided to make a free Android app for the Tao Te Ching (the sacred text of Taoism). It is called 'Tao Te Ching +'. I have implemented 3 different versions of it (Mitchell, Legge and McDonald) and it is available in 5 languages.There are a few features which you can check out, but the sole purpose is to give people access to and understanding of the Tao Te Ching.

I was hoping you guys could check it out, give me some feedback on the app and the Taoist parts of the app, let me know of any features I should add/change and perhaps leave a rating.

Here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ftt.taoteching&hl=en

I am looking to fix the 81 chapter list on the home screen and add more translations into it, but it would be great to hear form you all. I am also starting to develop an iChing app, so your feedback will be invaluable. :)

Thanks

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step -Lao Tzu

I would check it out but don't have a smartphone, so... sorry for the redundant comment... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Hey ;)

i tried it out. its very cool. The features i would add is to have the whole text on one page as an option ; and to have the chinese text alongside or at least separate of the english, it adds genuine flavor even for those who dont read chinese. Also the search returns only one chapter instead of all occurences. And what about audio? All in all good job thanks.

• Like 2

I tested it too... simple, easy and clean UI... good start :)

Languages... ah .... how about the original chinese :D

But I would do as TT says... alongside (or vertical-wise). Bilingual is the WAY to go ;)

I will share a pet-peeve of mine on the internet: The number of clicks to do an important tasks... which are in the settings button.

Here is what i would do :rolleyes:

Have three [red] tabs fixed tabs at the top... Language, Translation, Chapters (to replace Chapters as the sole heading).

A second level suggestion would be that in Languages and Translation, they are radio button selections so that more than one can be selected... In a word... it would be, Dope :)

• Like 1

I am also starting to develop an iChing app

i was just thinking about this yesterday!!! will it have a coin toss function? :)

Watching your thread for future development and gunna load your ttc app to my droid shortly~

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to implement your suggestions, but it will be a bit difficult, and I'm not sure why people would want 2 languages at once either, but I'll see. As for the coin toss, I am currently making an iChing app, So I will include that inside of that app. If you know of any good online resources/translations of the Tao Te Ching or iChing, just link them as a reply.

Also, if you get a chance, please rate the app-it helps so much..

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to implement your suggestions, but it will be a bit difficult, and I'm not sure why people would want 2 languages at once either, but I'll see.

Some will simply like the feeling of the original... maybe find two versions of the script: A very basic one and a very artistic and calligraphic one. These things go a long way :)

As for the coin toss, I am currently making an iChing app, So I will include that inside of that app.

:)

If you know of any good online resources/translations of the Tao Te Ching or iChing, just link them as a reply.

Also, if you get a chance, please rate the app-it helps so much..

eat your heat out here:

http://terebess.hu/english/tao/_index.html

There is a thread on translators here:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/16550-translators-of-the-ttc/

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people would want 2 languages at once

1. English speaker learning Chinese, or vice versa, wanting to compare in order to learn (this would have been cool to have when I was first learning)

2. Bilingual reader wanting to check the English translation alongside the Chinese (this would be cool to have now, if I had a phone for it)

3. English speaker who doesn't care to learn Chinese but feels that it gives a more "authentic" vibe to see the Chinese text

I know you're making this app for those interested in reading the DDJ, not learning a language, but there are many out there who fit in one of these 3 categories...

^_^

• Like 2

I used to have an iPod Touch, and downloaded a Holy Bible app. It allowed me to choose from a number of translations (KJV, NIV, etc) and read them alongside each other. It was very interesting to see the differences.

So (not having seen your app) I think even if you couldn't compare English and Chinese, comparing 2 English translations might also be useful for people.

• Like 2

Hi

I like it :-)

One suggestion, make the random button persistent. And yeah, the original Richard Wilhelm should be available ;-)

Regardless, thank you very much for your work and generosity!

• Like 1

can you make the page turning a gesture swipe? for me the share button is right next to the page turn one so its easy to misclick. also wow! first app i have ever installed that required no permissions

• Like 2

can you make the page turning a gesture swipe? for me the share button is right next to the page turn one so its easy to misclick. also wow! first app i have ever installed that required no permissions

I noticed that also. Bonus points for that one! :-)

• Like 1

Page turning can be done in 2 ways currently: either the button, or a gesture swipe. Swipe from the right side of the screen to the left and the chapter should go up by one.

I am currently working on an update to include more translations, and even statistics on how long the user has spent reading certain chapters, how many they have read etc. I will also try to give the user an option on the chapter selection screen to present it as a grid (so less scrolling).

In the meantime, if you get a chance, please rate the app, I am sorry to ask again, but it has been going down in popularity recently, and more ratings would help to bring it back up.

Thanks,

If you guys get a chance, please share this with your friends/family and any other people who would be interested in this app. Email, Facebook, Twitter etc, any help would be greatly appreciated, it truly does make a massive difference.

I will keep you guys updated on the app. 

Thanks for everything so far!