Sign in to follow this  
Smile

Slackline Instructions

Here is a video a friend sent me of this thing called

to develop balance. Looks interesting...

Climbers that needed to have something to do at rest days started this about 15 years ago. They set up a pulley system between two trees, and just used slings and rope. Its great fun, and I've been doing in on and off now for about 5 years. It does wonders for your balance.

Also, I recall reading in Yoga Journal that there are som yogis who have taken their practice to the line, literally.

For the extreme version of slacklining go to:

www.slackline.no

http://slakkline.no/index.php?page=24

My friends here in Norway has taken it to another level.

Interestingly, they've chosen the silouette of Buddha as their logo.

Anywayz, its great for mental training, and when you enter this quiet state where everything just flows, you know you've struck gold.

h

Here is a video a friend sent me of this thing called

to develop balance. Looks interesting...

I studied what we called "Mountaineering" in high school, growing up in California (Bay Area) . During a brief period from @ 1974 - 1985 we were lucky enough to have this program available to us. Then the insurance companies came in in the mid 80's, removed everyones diving boards from their school pools and so on. When they found out the crazy s... we were up to they were like, " you're doing what? with minor high school students??? No you aint!!. And that was that.

We had a "fitness jungle" we created to work on strength and balance. One of the items we had was a slack line made of wire/cord which was about 1/3 inch diameter. We had three posts about 3 feet high arranged in a triangle so there were three sections of uneven length offering varying level of slackness and angle. Two lengths of about 12-15 feet and one of about 8-10 feet as I recall.

I used to spend a lot of time standing on that thing, wobbling back and forth. Eventually got really good at it. What a great tool. I recall I got good enough to do a pistol and then come back up. One of the keys to traversing the thing was to keep you focus out in front of you and not down near your feet. I recall even back then before taoist training that finding a sense of your center and projecting a line from there forward with your imagination seemed to really settle you in place, interesting.

Dont know if what is shown on u-tube is harder or easier than this, but I imaging falling on the webbing line is much kinder than wire/cord.

Another training note, once you get to a certain level of training with balance like this, it seems to stay with you. I can still balance on stuff like this now decades later, without continuing to train. An interesting analogy to MA training I think.

Thanks for brining up this topic brought back some fond memories and also made me think about some training discoveries I made before I really began MA training and taoist training.

Craig

that is really cool...I'm not sure I'd want to do it though - I have a bad back...surgery 12 years ago, removed 7 chucks of L5/S1 disc...from me having little regard for gravity, or my body, for that matter...

Oh that's the cool thing about it you can do it just 1 foot off the ground if you wish. Probably safer than trying to balance on a stability ball!

how old to kids need to be to have fun with a slackline? I've got lots of trees in my backyard.

how old to kids need to be to have fun with a slackline? I've got lots of trees in my backyard.

hehe

sal to mort ale

hehe

The younger the better. Gravity doesn't apply as hard :)

Little kids bounce better.

Sign in to follow this