Kongming

Questions about Neigong

Some questions I have about Neigong. I realize these are a lot of questions, so feel free to answer as many or as little as you wish. If you can recommend any good books or other sources that I can read to answer these questions myself, that would also be appreciated.

1) What is the origin of Neigong and its relation to Daoyin? Were these practices used by Daoists for health purposes or for spiritual purposes or both?

2) Is Neigong part of the practices used in Quanzhen Daoism, Longmen pai or otherwise?

3) What is the relationship between Neigong and spiritual practice, be it sitting in meditation or neidan?

4) Is Neigong associated with Wudang? Is Wudang primarily martial arts oriented or are there Wudang practices or aims that are of a purely spiritual or esoteric purpose?

5) What are some of the best resources (books, videos, etc.) to learn about authentic Neigong?

Frantzis's neigong is good IME. To what extent it is authentic - you can compare what he teaches with what other masters do. If you can see internal workings of the body, you'll notice that Frantzis generally teaches about the same as accomplished masters can demonstrate in photos or video. THe other advantage of Frantzis's material is that he explains things using modern anatomy vocabulary. If you look at his neigong components and think they are somewhat simple and low key, please keep in mind that for an average person it'll take about 10 years to incorporate most of neigong components.

" Were these practices used by Daoists for health purposes or for spiritual purposes or both?"

Neidan is the origin (in Chinese Daoist tradition, other cultures have had their own similar things) everything else is a watered down version of the original. Like a tree, the core is Neidan, the leaves and branches are things like MA, Qigong etc.

In true Daoist tradition, there is no seperation between health and spirituality. Good health, body condition, and never getting sick is one of the first achievements in Neidan.

Martial Arts, Calligraphy, natural intelligence is also developed naturally and easily as body condition is soft, flexible, healthy, Yuanqi is rich etc.

1) What is the origin of Neigong and its relation to Daoyin? Were these practices used by Daoists for health purposes or for spiritual purposes or both?

Can't speak to origins as I'm not a particularly keen scholar in these regards. Practically though there are key differences. (The caveat being that this is my point of view and that of a number of my teachers - different schools will have different interpretations and will vary in nomenclature) Dao yin, specifically, is an older form, linked with shamanic practices. It's main aim is the removal of pathogenic 'substances' and 'sick qi' from your body - not creating balance and homeostasis as in qigong or opening up of further energetic 'layers' internally as in neigong. (This doesn't mean that it won't help to achieve these aspects or that neigong and qigong practice won't help to remove pathogens - but it's a different focus)

3) What is the relationship between Neigong and spiritual practice, be it sitting in meditation or neidan?

Neigong can be considered as preparation for neidan. If neigong is the practice of opening your energetic body, then neidan is creating a range of 'transformations' within this energetic structure. Neigong practice can actually move into the beginnings of alchemy spontaneously. In terms of spiritual cultivation neigong can go very far indeed, but the highest levels require spiritual transformation - which, broadly speaking is in the realm of neidan.

5) What are some of the best resources (books, videos, etc.) to learn about authentic Neigong?
Damo Mitchell has a number of books which I recommend highly. But a good teacher is (in my opinion) vital. Even if you only have contact a couple of times a year.
  • Like 2

Some questions I have about Neigong. I realize these are a lot of questions, so feel free to answer as many or as little as you wish. If you can recommend any good books or other sources that I can read to answer these questions myself, that would also be appreciated.

Neigong was created on top of the initial stages of Neidan. Daoyin is similar to Neigong. Daoyin was used to work with Ming. Neigong was usually used to get abilities for martial arts ("iron shirt" etc).

2) Is Neigong part of the practices used in Quanzhen Daoism, Longmen pai or otherwise?

There are some elements in Yu Xian Pai.

no real relation, AFAIK

4) Is Neigong associated with Wudang? Is Wudang primarily martial arts oriented or are there Wudang practices or aims that are of a purely spiritual or esoteric purpose?

Wudang now has very little to offer both in neidan and neigong... Many good neigong and IMA masters live far from there and have no historical connection to Wudang.

I know nothing in English. In Chinese you can read classics of Taijiquan (Chen Xin etc), Xinyiquan. But I'm not sure you really need it: if you want Neidan then it has no sense to search for Neidan in martial arts / neigong.

• Like 1