Taoist Texts

Working with Destiny

I don't see why someone would complete their transition into celestial immortality if their destiny

whats a destiny?

whats a destiny?

People with destiny do not need to be told. People without destiny - do not care who says what.

• Like 2

In my opinion, which is likely neither right or wrong completely, destiny is the momentum of one's soul within the celestial mechanism.

Sure one can treat Neidan as a science and perform the work in isolation, but I doubt one will get where they want unless they are meant to. When we don't work in isolation, we learn to overcome the challenge of maintaining equanimity amidst whatever noise surrounds us, following the principles of the dao de jing like water, humility, frugality. Following this flow we may be led in a way that is uniquely our own, and be called to do things that only we can do.

In this way we are of service to the tao, even as the tao serves us in return.

In my studies of taoist stories destiny seems to be a common theme. Liu Yiming refers to the destiny given by heaven as the post-celestial ming, and says this destiny can be changed by cultivating it into the breath of tao, the pre-celestial ming. And yet Liu Yiming also advises against isolation:

47. Barrier of emptiness 着空关

If seeking only to achieve emptiness in a secluded place in deep mountains, far away from society and people, abandoning family and children, and thinking that oneself is higher than the others, then one can easily fall in the trap of emptiness. Real emptiness is not empty.

Perhaps one may change one's destiny though Neidan. But balance is fine art, and selfish intent does not assist one in connecting to the true heart. I do not believe it is wise to believe everyone should set their intent upon Neidan. I believe following the destiny given by heaven will also lead one toward what is pre-celestial. It is for each to decide on their own where their true heart leads.

In any case, I hardly think any here are qualified to judge the various masters who have chosen to be of service to humanity. One may easily look at one's own attachement to judging right from wrong as means to measure one's progress within balance. Metal concerns discernment. Discernment may be balanced by acceptance or attached to with judgment.

• Like 5

Perhaps distinction may be made between fate and destiny. Or, if one sees them as identical terms, perhaps distinction may be made on how one approaches dealing with them.

To me, fate is what happens when one does not accept their lessons and makes decisions from selfish intent. The more resistant, the more complicated one's fate is to unravel. The unravelling of fate is what happens when one accepts their lessons and trusts to their path without selfishness. I've long thought of fate as the former and destiny as the latter, but I suppose they are the same post-celestial manifestation of ming.

It is a matter of accepting or rejecting the momentum of one's true heart. This momentum was created by previous lifetimes and is affected by choices in one's current lifetime.

If one is presented with difficult lessons and they seek to escape by means of Neidan, they will still need to somehow answer to these lessons in order to successfully transform their post-celestial ming into pre-celestial ming. The very momentum of the cycling energies and planets will influence how easy or difficult this might be.

In addition, at the higher level it seems that before one fully returns it is common for one to choose (or get sucked into) the path of a bodhisattva, and so be of service to those who are struggling to find their way - even though this choice might prevent the fullest return to tao.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 2

In my opinion, which is likely neither right or wrong completely, destiny is the momentum of one's soul within the celestial mechanism.

Mechanism is an apt metaphor, thats true. Mechanism suggests something predetermined and unchangable, human life on fixed tracks like a train on rails. Only one way to go and one direction to go to.

Mechanism is an apt metaphor, thats true. Mechanism suggests something predetermined and unchangable, human life on fixed tracks like a train on rails. Only one way to go and one direction to go to.

http://www.academia.edu/7846963/I_Robot_Self_as_Machine_in_the_Liezi

I, Robot: Self as Machine in the Liezi
By Jeffrey L. Richey

Introduction

Q. I thought you were dead.

A. Technically I was never alive, but thanks for your concern.

• Like 2

Predetermined influences, but I think change is the key to uniting with this mechanism. If we reject it we complicate things. But if we merge with it we can begin to use it, slowly dissolving and shaping it. In this way we may regain control over our internal mechanism.

Liu Yiming says further in Cultivating the Tao (tl. Pregadio), after an extensive chapter on the five phases/agents and directly after explaining the creation and control cycles:

Then there are the Ways of conquest within generation and of generation within conquest. Conquest within generation is the postcelestial Way of following the course. Generation within conquest is the precelestial Way of inverting the course.

If students are able to know generation and conquest, and to understand inverting and following the course, they can bring the principles of the five agents to achievement.

This seems a subtle key to using one's five agents to work towards what is pre-celestial. Conquest within generation is perhaps simply our control of what is generated all around us. Our environment generates resources which we exploit. Our body generates energies which our ego's exploit. Generation within conquest is perhaps what I describe above - recognizing the lessons the tao sends our way, merging with this controlling mechanism and learning to generate progressive change within this mechanism.

At the end of Cleary's Taoist Classics Volume 4: The Taoist I Ching, specifically the Arcana section, Liu Yiming is further quoted describing this process in terms of cultivating Virtue. See a longer excerpt here.

Liu also uses the scheme of the five virtues to elaborate on the outgrowth of this return to truth, or restoration of the primal. When wisdom is based on truthfulness, he says, knowledge is not used randomly; you are free from greed and ambition, your mind is peaceful and its energy is harmonious. Then you are pleased with reality and produce courtesy from within wisdom. When courtesy is based on wisdom, you can harmonize with those unlike yourself and you do not do anything discourteous; impatience sublimates, so that you no longer become angry but instead become just.

When justice is based on courtesy, Liu continues, you are just without bias, able to adapt to changes while following guidelines in your actions. Then you delight in good and develop kindness. When kindness is based on justice, you are kind without being weak, as good as possible, without evil, sincerely whole-hearted, without duplicity. Then you are free from selfish desires and are therefore truthful.

When truthfulness is based on kindness, forming the final link in the circle, you are steadfast and unwavering; true will appears, and wandering attention quiets down. Celestial and mundane intentions combine, so that you can be joyful, angry, sad, or pleased, all without selfish desire.

This state is called the subordination of the temporal to the primal; Liu says, "Merged with the design of nature, not conceiving human desires, you return to the origin of life, so that you realize your original self." In Taoist terms, this is called the formation of the spiritual embryo, or the crystallization of the gold pill. In Confucian terms, it is called clarifying the good and returning to the origin. In Buddhist terms, it is called great wisdom reaching the ultimate aim.

Thanks for creating and refining this topic mods / dawei!

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 1

In case people aren't aware, the creation cycle of the 5 phases/agents is:

Wood engenders Fire

Fire engenders Earth

Earth engenders Metal

Metal engenders Water

Water engenders Wood

When one generates the other, it is used up in the process. When Water engenders Wood, Wood soaks up the Water, turning it into life and using it to continuously expand. A parallel to this often referred to in Taoist Classics and the yijing is that of a Parent - Child relationship. The parent nurtures, the child consumes and absorbs what the parent shares. If the situation is unbalanced the child can end up sapping the parent of strength.

In terms of conquest, or control:

Earth mitigates and refines Water

Water mitigates and refines Fire

Fire mitigates and refines Metal

Metal mitigates and refines Wood

Wood mitigates and refines Earth

I use the term mitigate to convey a more appropriate tone. Conquest and control is what happens when the dynamic uses force, implying that Water is unwilling to be changed by Earth, so Earth conquers Water, forcing it to behave. However, when Water is willing, the dynamic takes a more diplomatic tone, and Water follows the direction Earth leads in. Mitigation conveys a relationship that avoids excess, which is the function of this type of cycle. The "control" cycle of the "five elements" has the effect of refinement and balancing. A parallel often used for this in the classics and the yijing is of the Husband-Wife relationship. To think this works one way is somewhat outdated - both parties mutually combine to direct and refine each other.

300px-Wu_Xing.png

Liu Yiming uses the associations of Virtues with the 5 phases:

Earth is associated with integrity and sincerity. When there is less sincerity and integrity, earth does not hold together well, and the water it directs becomes muddy. Thus sincerity is key to keeping Water clear.

Water is associated with Wisdom when it is clear, and desire and ambition when it is murky. When water is clear, it directs Fire in a stable way. When water is muddy, Fire burns more wildly.

Fire is associated with illumination, and is the waxing of the cycle, the expression of the creation phase that began with the seed contained within Water. When Fire is directed by clear Water (wisdom), the illumination it expresses is clear and bright, like a steady and un-flickering light or a clear pane of glass one may see through with no distortion. When fire is directed by muddy water, it goes everywhere. It flickers here then there. It seeks to impatiently act upon the desire of the muddy water, consuming and scattering randomly like a wildfire. Fire that illuminates clearly directs Metal to discern clearly. Wildfire informs Metal with an vast array of sensation.

Metal is associated with discernment. Metal that discerns clearly is able to accept the situation and respond to it with it's primary function - settling. Where Fire is the expression of the generation cycle, Metal begins the return to stillness. Metal draws back inward, closing the cycle. When metal is informed by a vast array of sensation, it is blind and overwhelmed, unable to sense how to properly close the cycle. Then it begins to judge right from wrong in an attempt to deal with the situation that feels so out of control. However when metal is able to simply accept all that it faces as one, it is able to let go of the need to judge, and is able to accomplish its task of compressing what has expanded (the noise of the human mind) back towards the origin. Metal that accepts and settles, directs wood to expand smoothly. Metal that discriminates directs wood to expand in a complex menagerie of ways. Metal compresses into water in the form of minerals.

Edit: Applying the total acceptance and settling of the Metal phase may be as simple as smiling unconditionally rather than frowning conditionally. Like Laozi in the Vinegar Tasters, smiling in the face of suffering. When we are bombarded with Metal type directives, questions, discriminations, total in-discriminatory and unconditional acceptance without answer is possibly the only way to avoid feeding back into some separation of energy. Perhaps this is the root of the saying: those who speak, don't know; those who know, don't speak. See: Gift of Insults.

Wood is associated with growth, movement. Wood takes the seed created in the stillness of water, and using the nurturing life force of water expands life, as shaped by the minerals/metals found in that water which act as blueprints. In terms of emotions, Wood is the energy that is shaped and informed by our senses, which then is expressed in the Fire phase. When Metal discriminates, it attaches to something, and this in turn shapes the flow of energy. When metal attaches to sensations of happiness, Wood shapes energy that will express as Joy. And yet happiness and Joy are part of a polarity, and inevitably Metal will lack what it has attached to seeking, leading the energy of Wood to be shaped towards expressions of sadness or anger. In this fashion sometimes Wood/Energy will be strong, sometimes weak. When Wood is shaped by Metal that accepts, it develops smoothly, evenly, and is more adaptive to flowing harmoniously within the given situation, without needing to be shaped towards a specific end. Liu Yiming refers to this as kindness.

As Liu Yiming says, when the true gets buried, the false runs wild. This can even be seen by in increasing complexity of my above descriptions as the cycle progresses. When wild energy (Wood) controls Earth, integrity is divided, broken up, split apart. When even energy (Wood), or kindness controls Earth, one returns to the heart of truth. Therefore increasing what is true within each of these interactions will lead them all back to unity.

The above concerns the control cycle as it informs the creation of the elements being controlled in terms of how it may lead back to the heart of truth - Generation within Conquest. It would appear that Generation within Conquest may also lead to the post-celestial, but only when truth and sincerity are abandoned. When sincerity is maintained and guards the wholeness of unity, Generation within Conquest leads back to greater unity. When these elements are already created and in excess, the control cycle may help bring them back into control, following the same principles. However that is concerned more with Conquest within Generation.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 3

I don't see why someone would complete their transition into celestial immortality if their destiny requires teaching people who need to see a physical body.

I just now saw this thread. WoW!

I think I will go take a nap.

• Like 1

Mods, can we please avoid further derailing of this foundations topic by moving the relevant posts on destiny to a new topic titled:

Working with Destiny

? Thank you.

Thank you Mods, though do we need all of the immortality stuff in here? There are still posts related to the immortality angle in the old thread, so it's all disconnected and unrelated to the question "what is destiny." It'd probably be fine to start with TT's post "what's a destiny", if that is possible. Thank you.

Ok.. cleaned up :)

Zhuangzi: - Fa (return) Ming (destiny)

聖人達綢繆,周盡一體矣,而不知其然,性也。復命搖作而以天為師,人則從而命之也。憂乎知而所行恆無幾時,其有止也若之何?

Tr. Burton

The sage penetrates bafflement and complication, rounding all into a single body, yet he does not know why - it is his inborn nature. He returns to fate and acts accordingly, using Heaven as his teacher, and men follow after, pinning labels on him. But if he worried about how much he knew and his actions were never constant for so much as a year or a season 4 then how could he ever find a stopping place?

Tr. Legge

The sage comprehends the connexions between himself and others, and how they all go to constitute him of one body with them, and he does not know how it is so - he naturally does so. In fulfilling his constitution, as acted on and acting, he (simply) follows the direction of Heaven; and it is in consequence of this that men style him (a sage). If he were troubled about (the insufficiency of) his knowledge, what he did would always be but small, and sometimes would be arrested altogether - how would he in this case be (the sage)?

• Like 3

In this way we are of service to the tao, even as the tao serves us in return.

Why would Tao need our services?

In my studies of taoist stories destiny seems to be a common theme. Liu Yiming refers to the destiny given by heaven as the post-celestial ming, and says this destiny can be changed by cultivating it into the breath of tao, the pre-celestial ming. And yet Liu Yiming also advises against isolation:

Perhaps one may change one's destiny though Neidan.

To understand whether one may or may not do that, the train-or-plane analogy is helpful. Trains do not change tracks or directions. They cant even slow down or go faster because there are other trains on the same track. Normally there are no such things as private trains, but there are plenty of regular trains in the world.

The private planes on the other hand fly where and how the pilot pleases, but there are precious few of them.

• Like 3

To understand whether one may or may not do that, the train-or-plane analogy is helpful. Trains do not change tracks or directions. They cant even slow down or go faster because there are other trains on the same track. Normally there are no such things as private trains, but there are plenty of regular trains in the world.

The private planes on the other hand fly where and how the pilot pleases, but there are precious few of them.

I like that analogy.

The train is destiny and the plane is free will.

However, don't be jumping off the train while it is moving. Then your destiny would be sealed.

• Like 2

Thanks, I like the train / plane analogy. It also resonates with the birth based yijing astrology I practice, where one's momentum within balance is indicated by hexagram lines each depicting a 6 or 9 year phases of change. The phases are set and cannot be rushed, and so one has periods of time during which to come to terms with their place within the overall balance around them and the lessons they are given. People walk towards or away from the type of balance indicated. The hexagrams are all different. Some indicate a more challenging path to balance while others may have more free will, as the plane in your analogy.

Why would Tao need our services?

I didn't say it does or doesn't. However, perhaps we need to be of service to the tao, to finely balance our karma.

In Neidan one often takes energy from outside oneself to replenish what one lost. A master taught me the balance of this exchange is very very important, and that we are all born with all the energy we need to return. One must pay for what one loans.

The quality of energy exchanged is also part of this balance. If we leak out unified pure energy, or draw in separated and coarse energy (and are able to refine it within) this leads our environment closer to unity. But if we leak out separated and coarse energy and only take back pure and refined energy, this leads our environment closer to separation.

I sense this give and take is highly complicated, and don't want to presume to understand its precise operation. However I feel believing we are able to replenish our lost energy from the environment without seeking balance within this exchange is missing a piece of the puzzle. The service we offer to the tao helps us to balance this exchange. This service may be accomplished in many ways, visible or invisible.

From what I understand, Liu Yiming is saying transforming one's post-celestial, destiny granted by heaven ming into pre-celestial, breath of tao ming, may be accomplished by resting upon the direction of one's destiny and applying the operation of generation within it, this generation within the conquest of destiny #7. And flowing like this one would merge with the way of balance. Naturally there is more than just ming to return to its pre-celestial state, but following this operation of ming might be seen as flowing with the principle of water, the foundation our lighter arts rest upon.

I am not suggesting we do this instead of energy work, but that we use our energy work within the context of this dance within balance. The principles of Neidan suggest this operation will be transcended when one advances to higher stages. I'm merely perceiving that putting it all together like this might be the simplest, quickest and most balanced method for transforming to the next stage, without something or other pulling us back due to bad timing or errors. By flowing along the current of our destiny and unravelling it, we are able to merge with the proper timing we need.

As to the tao needing our help, I don't know. As to the universe needing our help, I'm not sure. What expands and does not contract seems imbalanced, and I believe Neidan helps the universe to contract by refining and returning the energy of creation closer to the origin. But who can say if the universe has had a full breath yet or is ready to contract? Perhaps this must come from the knowledge granted by heaven, the pre-celestial xing. And yet on several occasions, those I encounter who are in tune with heavenly knowledge have indicated the universe greatly needs our help, and that the actions of humans on earth have far more profound spiritual effects all throughout the universe than the exploitation and pollution of our own planet.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 4

However, don't be jumping off the train while it is moving. Then your destiny would be sealed.

Yeah you see thats the thing..most people are born trains, they cant jump off themselves. Their destiny is sealed at birth.

• Like 2

Yeah you see thats the thing..most people are born trains, they cant jump off themselves. Their destiny is sealed at birth.

Well, I'm not going to be pushing anyone off. It's up to them to either continue riding or get off at the next stop.

• Like 3

I wonder if choosing to not ride the train might be an anology for those who ignore the lessons sent their way and run the other direction. Their train still moves along the same timing, but they aren't really with it in the same sense and they miss out on the opportunities it might otherwise provide.

Funny thing about the celestial mechanism though, it has a way of catching up to you even when you say no thanks.

I wonder if choosing to not ride the train might be an anology for those who ignore the lessons sent their way and run the other direction. Their train still moves along the same timing, but they aren't really with it in the same sense and they miss out on the opportunities it might otherwise provide.

Funny thing about the celestial mechanism though, it has a way of catching up to you even when you say no thanks.

What a defeatist attitude! Hehehe.

It doesn't take all that much to derail a train.

No, it's not ignoring the lessons. Some learn that there are other means of transport and they can choose between them or even walk for a while.

Happy Trails!

<singing off-key>

Old Charlie stole the handle and the train it won't stop going, no way to slow down...

</singing>

<singing off-key>

Old Charlie stole the handle and the train it won't stop going, no way to slow down...

</singing>

Then there is nothing left to do but enjoy the ride.

From what I understand, Liu Yiming is saying transforming one's post-celestial, destiny granted by heaven ming into pre-celestial, breath of tao ming, may be accomplished by resting upon the direction of one's destiny and applying the operation of generation within it, this generation within the conquest of destiny

Thats a fine understanding.

All I have to add is that (1) Liu as any other alchemical author must be read and translated with clear understanding of alchemy in mind. Until the reader is not clear on alchemy he has no chance of getting what Liu is really saying.

(2) The issue of destiny is practical for a practitioner thats why I raised it in the "neidan" thread. It was considered a derailment because folks do not realise that by practicing without destiny they are going to hurt themselves. The truer the teacher and the method, the more true qi they are getting - the stronger is the hurt.

this chart by Mantak Chia's pinponts the bodily damage according to emotions displayed in patient's words. No need to see a person face to face to know that he has derailed because he was born a train but fancied himself to be a plane.

nagative.jpg

• Like 3

All I have to add is that (1) Liu as any other alchemical author must be read and translated with clear understanding of alchemy in mind. Until the reader is not clear on alchemy he has no chance of getting what Liu is really saying.

True for "alchemical authors", but not for Liu Yiming. I know it sounds like a riddle, but I don't want to speak more. Just a hint.

(2) The issue of destiny is practical for a practitioner thats why I raised it in the "neidan" thread. It was considered a derailment because folks do not realise that by practicing without destiny they are going to hurt themselves. The truer the teacher and the method, the more true qi they are getting - the stronger is the hurt.

Without destiny no teacher will accept a student...

About hurt:

1) teacher doesn't force his/her "true qi" to students. The process of teaching is different. "Heart to heart" transmission is different.

2) the hurt can come ONLY from the student. If he is impure, then his internal organs can be damaged by his own yuan qi, after it was activated by a teacher. That's why in neidan schools people start with cleaning the energy blockages and inner organs (on pre-heaven level, not what is on Mantak's picture).

About destiny in general. 復命 is the key. But all people have a lot of possibilities and flexibility in their life, however usually they don't know how to use these possibilities for good. So train analogy is quite far from truth. If the destiny is predetermined then we can do nothing and still get what we're doomed to! But obviously it's not true. We're passengers without a destination, not trains or plains :-)

• Like 2

Thanks, I like the train / plane analogy. It also resonates with the birth based yijing astrology I practice, where one's momentum within balance is indicated by hexagram lines each depicting a 6 or 9 year phases of change. The phases are set and cannot be rushed, and so one has periods of time during which to come to terms with their place within the overall balance around them and the lessons they are given. People walk towards or away from the type of balance indicated. The hexagrams are all different. Some indicate a more challenging path to balance while others may have more free will, as the plane in your analogy.

I didn't say it does or doesn't. However, perhaps we need to be of service to the tao, to finely balance our karma.

In Neidan one often takes energy from outside oneself to replenish what one lost. A master taught me the balance of this exchange is very very important, and that we are all born with all the energy we need to return. One must pay for what one loans.

The quality of energy exchanged is also part of this balance. If we leak out unified pure energy, or draw in separated and coarse energy (and are able to refine it within) this leads our environment closer to unity. But if we leak out separated and coarse energy and only take back pure and refined energy, this leads our environment closer to separation.

I sense this give and take is highly complicated, and don't want to presume to understand its precise operation. However I feel believing we are able to replenish our lost energy from the environment without seeking balance within this exchange is missing a piece of the puzzle. The service we offer to the tao helps us to balance this exchange. This service may be accomplished in many ways, visible or invisible.

From what I understand, Liu Yiming is saying transforming one's post-celestial, destiny granted by heaven ming into pre-celestial, breath of tao ming, may be accomplished by resting upon the direction of one's destiny and applying the operation of generation within it, this generation within the conquest of destiny #7. And flowing like this one would merge with the way of balance. Naturally there is more than just ming to return to its pre-celestial state, but following this operation of ming might be seen as flowing with the principle of water, the foundation our lighter arts rest upon.

I am not suggesting we do this instead of energy work, but that we use our energy work within the context of this dance within balance. The principles of Neidan suggest this operation will be transcended when one advances to higher stages. I'm merely perceiving that putting it all together like this might be the simplest, quickest and most balanced method for transforming to the next stage, without something or other pulling us back due to bad timing or errors. By flowing along the current of our destiny and unravelling it, we are able to merge with the proper timing we need.

As to the tao needing our help, I don't know. As to the universe needing our help, I'm not sure. What expands and does not contract seems imbalanced, and I believe Neidan helps the universe to contract by refining and returning the energy of creation closer to the origin. But who can say if the universe has had a full breath yet or is ready to contract? Perhaps this must come from the knowledge granted by heaven, the pre-celestial xing. And yet on several occasions, those I encounter who are in tune with heavenly knowledge have indicated the universe greatly needs our help, and that the actions of humans on earth have far more profound spiritual effects all throughout the universe than the exploitation and pollution of our own planet.

Dude, where can I smoke what you're smoking? Seriously, I love this. How do I learn these principles?

• Like 1

Study the patterns of your life, your coping mechanisms, how you deal with others. Especially when under stress. What causes stress? What really gets under your skin, pushes you over the edge? How do you deal with family? What are your dreams, your goals? How do you go to excess in your life, what brings you down? How well do you accept yourself for who you are?

These are the questions that really help me with finding balance and acceptance in my relation with the world. Studying the cycles of the waxing and waning of the moon and the sun, as they flow from small to big and big to small, cold to hot and hot to cold helped me get a deeper feeling for the wood-fire-metal-water cycle. Remember, earth is the center, earth is Sincerity and truth.

Once you accept things as they are, learn to flow more harmoniously with them. Take your time. Learn to slow down. Learn to be still. Learn to see the slow ebb and flow of life. As I did this longer term goals became more practical to me and I stopped worrying about the rat race, even as I worked to maintain my sincerity every day and struggled to avoid bursting when the pressures increased. Then I started changing small things to help me address my patterns, and exploring what worked and didn't work. I'm still doing this and have a long way to go, but my life is so much stabler now that my values have shifted.

Learning to let go of personal attachments is huge. This allows us to flow adaptively within an ever changing environment without losing our center. Once we can do it within slower cycles, we can speed things up - but it takes time. Years.

As to the principles - the classics reach the root. Dao De Jing. Zhuangzi. Yijing. Over time people add layers, and after a while it all becomes noise. Even so, studying nature, both humanity and earth based is a good way to see principles in action. They're everywhere. Over time they just begin to all connect together. But knowing is limitless - our lives have limits. Learn to rest upon the balance of your life, let go of egoic attachments and just flow. You'll be surprised where you end up and who you meet.

That's what came to me in answer to your question. I hope it is helpful to you. Blessings!

• Like 5