dust

People with No Heart (literally)

Curious what people here think about this.

... especially interested to know what our resident pulse diagnosis people have to say!

As for me... as well as the happiness that comes with seeing people happy to be alive, and being very impressed by the technology, I get another feeling too. Kind of...wondering how sensible it is to be forcing very sick people into life, when there are millions of other people procreating as I type this, filling the world up with more and more of us...

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2012/03/man-with-no-pulse-how-turbines-can-replace-a-heart.html

Although Craig Lewis, the 55-year-old patient, died five weeks later, it was due to underlying disease and doctors claimed the device was still working perfectly.

I find it interesting that this bit of info is left out of many articles.

• Like 1

"By all criteria that we conventionally use to analyze patients, they're dead."

Typical corporate marketing video bullshit. No heartbeat doesn't mean dead, it means no heartbeat.

I have trouble even watching videos made by GE. ... I sense they are intested in covering a future cybernetics market. And as we know corporations, they'd probably encourage people to get more than what they need.

And please stop the overpopulation talk. That's just as problematic a belief system as the climate change craze. With proper management, it would be no problem at all, and also not with proper living conditions, because it's a natural process that a species under heightened survival stress increases procreation rate.

Fear-based mindsets further suffering. Only one solution: Making an effort to overcome fear. As many people and as often as possible.

• Like 4

As for me... as well as the happiness that comes with seeing people happy to be alive, and being very impressed by the technology, I get another feeling too. Kind of...wondering how sensible it is to be forcing very sick people into life, when there are millions of other people procreating as I type this, filling the world up with more and more of us...

It's all about more money for the wealthy. You know that.

I find it interesting that this bit of info is left out of many articles.

Are you still questioning the truth of our media? They tell us, in the most part, only what the wealthy and government want us to hear.

• Like 3

And please stop the overpopulation talk. That's just as problematic a belief system as the climate change craze. With proper management, it would be no problem at all, and also not with proper living conditions, because it's a natural process that a species under heightened survival stress increases procreation rate.

But both are real problems. The causes and possible solutions are varied but the problems are still real. But the problems benefit the wealthy, religions and governments. Solutions must come from these three. If they are benefiting from the problems do you think they are going to try to find solutions for them?

"By all criteria that we conventionally use to analyze patients, they're dead."

Typical corporate marketing video bullshit. No heartbeat doesn't mean dead, it means no heartbeat.

I have trouble even watching videos made by GE. ... I sense they are intested in covering a future cybernetics market. And as we know corporations, they'd probably encourage people to get more than what they need.

Indeed. I've since watched another couple of GE videos and, to put it bluntly, they're full of shit. Lots of people are impressed, though.

Fear-based mindsets further suffering. Only one solution: Making an effort to overcome fear. As many people and as often as possible.

What do you mean "it would be no problem at all" ? It's already too late...no "management" is going to make it "no problem at all", really, unless you're talking about population control (which is not what I'm talking about!)

I'm talking about, as I clearly stated, not forcing very sick people into life. Even if there were no population problem, I think this would fit right in with my vaguely wu wei way of thinking, but even more so considering the problems humankind face.

And I'm not talking out of fear, either -- I'll be dead by the time it's really begun to negatively affect people*, so what do I have to fear?

*edit: people in rich places

Edited by dustybeijing

A little off-topic but since it's my topic, we'll allow it.

A very simple explanation as to why we're fucked.

Yes, I remember reading that a couple of weeks back. Scary.

I wouldnt go down that route...

What route? I hope you don't think I'm suggesting what I think you think I'm suggesting.

Very glad I watched this:

Not nearly as simplistic as the Suzuki video above, and far more hopeful. (Watch the video to get a better understanding of why I say what I say below.)

We need to be fairer in our dealing with other nations and their populations, and engage everyone in a better education so that people can naturally live healthier lives well into old age.

We don't need our clever scientists to be inventing new ways of keeping people in rich countries alive longer and people in poorer countries bound to the land, slaving away to produce crops that rich people steal away for fuel and feed, as birth rates in these poorer countries increase and billions more end up living in slums.

Edited by dustybeijing

Growth rate might have stopped accelerating, but population increase hasn't.

We are fooling ourselves if we think we dont need to address and cap it. IMO lets cap it at a more comfortable number than the absolute edge limit.

I think too many people is at the heart of most of our problems.

• Like 1

But both are real problems. The causes and possible solutions are varied but the problems are still real. But the problems benefit the wealthy, religions and governments. Solutions must come from these three. If they are benefiting from the problems do you think they are going to try to find solutions for them?

Consindering the amount of corruption, lies and deception involved in at least one of those topics, I'm not convinced it is "real".

A little off-topic but since it's my topic, we'll allow it.

A very simple explanation as to why we're fucked.

Extremely simplistic, detached from the actual scenario. Apart from that, I consider David Suzuki too narrow-minded, a preacher. I can't express it better what I mean with this, but listening to the guy makes me sigh a little.

Let me express a related thought I just had:

If there is one fake religion that is more harmful than the Church of Scientology, it's the Church of Science.

I think too many people is at the heart of most of our problems.

To those people I tend to say: Set yourself as a positive example.

Nungali and Owledge, I'd really suggest watching the Cohen video to the end, if you haven't already; if even remotely correct, the man poses some very interesting ideas that many of us often don't think about.

Nungali, it does address the concern you mention (growth rate decelerating but population still increasing) and Owledge, yes the Suzuki video was just something that popped up on my YT recommendations, and seemed suitable -- it is indeed far too simplistic. Cohen addresses some concrete numbers and processes.

Nungali and Owledge, I'd really suggest watching the Cohen video to the end, if you haven't already; if even remotely correct, the man poses some very interesting ideas that many of us often don't think about.

Nungali, it does address the concern you mention (growth rate decelerating but population still increasing) and Owledge, yes the Suzuki video was just something that popped up on my YT recommendations, and seemed suitable -- it is indeed far too simplistic. Cohen addresses some concrete numbers and processes.

I rarely have the energy to watch a lecture video this long these days, and I probably could make my own video like that by now, after all the things I have learned. But can you summarize some key messages from it?

Consindering the amount of corruption, lies and deception involved in at least one of those topics, I'm not convinced it is "real".

Yeah, sometimes we have to ignore what others (power people) are telling us and do our own investigating. Gather the facts as best they can be known and draw our own conclusions.

I can tell you what I think but I can't tell you what you should think.

To those people I tend to say: Set yourself as a positive example.

I agree! No kids in my house ... no need to populate the gaps in my environment with mini-Nugalis... I am bust enough offering assistance and getting joy from the ones already here and that other people are popping out. Most, I seem to notice, unintentionally.

I agree! No kids in my house ... no need to populate the gaps in my environment with mini-Nugalis... I am bust enough offering assistance and getting joy from the ones already here and that other people are popping out. Most, I seem to notice, unintentionally.

Skillfully (or obliviously) dodged.

I dont think you're suggesting anything.

I meant that there's possibly a future timeline where we turn ourselves into cyborgs.

Yeah, and maybe I'm going to become an immortal.

Skillfully (or obliviously) dodged.

I dodged something ?

No .... I am far better than you realise I dont even have to dodge any more ... your puny missiles cannot harm me !

Edited by Nungali