Sign in to follow this  
soaring crane

If Ghandi took a Yoga class

Ouch. I checked out Lululemon, just out of curiosity :wacko:

I'm always on the lookout for perfect taiji pants, because cotton ones develop bags on the knees from Dragon On The Ground and the like almost immediately, polyester ones don't breathe AND interfere with kicks, and putting on traditional Chinese silk ones makes me feel like a show-off -- they are the most comfortable for taiji, but I wouldn't want my pants to go around announcing, "I'm taiji," I want my taiji to do that. What Lululemon pants are designed to announce is, "I'm money." I'd buy a pair anyway because I'd use them every day and that's a justifiable expense if it's something that solves a problem. But they make them only in polyester.

Edited by Taomeow

What about cotton pants with a hint of lycra?

That's what I usually wind up wearing for taiji. But I'm being harassed by a friend who wears a pair of Lululemons to our practices -- she is a believer, she doesn't wear them for the label, and her taiji is excellent and she does practice every day -- but I happen to find her "Rolls Royce of taiji pants" hideous... :D

But seriously, something is wrong with the whole sports clothes industry. 95% of it is polyester and a lot of it is supposed to look 'sexy' -- and if not that, then 'tough,' or I don't know what. We're an outdoorsy environment and I see all manner of clothes worn for all manner of activities, and honestly, most of it illustrates a Russian proverb, "fits like a saddle fits a cow." Maybe I should undertake designing real active wear... but what I'd want from active wear would have nothing to do with what everybody has been railroaded into wanting, so I'd probably go broke... Same goes for many other items, incidentally. Shoes, handbags, bras -- there's the real thing and the fashion thing, and they have nothing whatsoever in common, but the public has been firmly pushed in the general direction of the hideous, hard to turn the tide...

• Like 1

I think the Lululemon prices are obscene, the brand pretentious, and I couldn't for the life of me wear that kind of thing for Qigong, or for running. I have an assortment of Indian Kurtas and linen/cotton bottoms, nice and loose and long-lived, and not expensive. I have some bottoms from H&M, organic, real linen, that I bought in size XXL. They have a draw string so I can tie them to my waist according to the season, lol.

What I'd like to do is have a friend of mine weave the material for a top and botttom, but even with a discount the material alone would come to about €150. She uses an organic Swedish linen and silk mix which is gorgeous and the kind of material that you pass down to your children, and your children's children.

• Like 3

i make my own wide legged rave/aikido style pants and they have never really failed me for any exercise or dance style. you can't even feel them against your skin so its a very naked, freeing feeling. i like to make them with fleece but flannel is extremely comfortable too

I admire DIY pants, but have no kungfu for that. Or a sewing machine for that matter. Bummer, since I'm very particular in this respect and mostly dissatisfied with what's out there. E.g. wide legs on a pair of pants usually also come with a wide waist (mine is small, and the drawstring gathers a lot of uncomfortable bulk around it once you pull it), while if the waist fits, the legs aren't wide enough for taiji, and if everything is "sort of" right, it doesn't stay this way for long (knees get pulled out of shape), and they tend to be either a bit short (I'm tall) of if they're the right length over the shoe, the butt part is too long (I've long legs, not an elongated butt), and if they are supposed to sit on the hips without sliding down, that they might do on a body with no curve in the hips -- a man's would be ideal... :D and on and on. Of course once in a blue moon I get lucky -- but then I wear the hell out of the lucky pants in no time. :unsure:

I can't justify buying Lululemon for myself, but my wife will buy me one item a year. Great quality and utility.

by the time I'm 65 it'll be the only thing I wear ;0

i am extremely confident i could make ones that suit your exact needs, though i would need to see you in person to accomplish that :P i have never used a sewing machine in my life. sold pants for a long time and did them all by hand. i prefer the way the seams look doing them that way. i also do a mean patchwork skirt

been wearing my favorite pair now for 7 years with barely any wear and tear at all. just some minor repairs once a year and they are back in action

OMG, you stitch by hand?.. I'm floored.

• Like 1

I went to Target and found some extremely comfortable thin pants that I think are for sleeping in or lounging around the house.

I tried them and really like them.

My favorite is silk of the type used in Tommy Bahamas but I do not have anything like for Qi Gong and have not seen it here in the states.

I will try to find the exact order number from Target in case you are interested. They come in dark grey and black and are not the same as the ones that come with little rocket ships and moons. (Way lighter than sweats which are way to hot for me)

Found it:

http://www.target.com/p/merona-men-s-solid-knit-lounge-pants/-/A-15122178#item-guestreviews-link

I use these at least 5 times a week and they are in great shape. The waist is not super tight which Is the way I like it and it is hard to believe but they are 100% cotton - seem stretchy and feel a bit like silk.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this