Sign in to follow this  
dust

Gift ideas

Looking for a birthday present for someone, but I used up all my good gift ideas at Christmas.

Seems like this topic could be useful for others, too.

Bearing in mind the wide range of beliefs and ideas represented here, what would you give to someone on this forum as a birthday gift?

Ideally a physical offering, such as books, gadgets, plants, incense, organic..things....

• Like 1

For my b'day or father's day, my family usually gets me a gift card to Singing Dragon publications, so I can pick out books, or they will pick out crystals for me. I'm a sucker for our shiny cousins, or a good read. Other than that, I'm not into many gadgets or thingies.

For my wife, I like to rent a cabin in the woods for a long weekend. She loves that.

For major gifts like Christmas/Solstice my wife and I now exchange livestock through the Heifer Charity, these are given to families in developing nations. This year we donated a Water Buffalo to a family in Ghana and a Llama and some Bee Hives to a family in Honduras. I freaking love that charity.

• Like 5

Lately I've been making custom CD's for friends & family. I'd give'em a best of collection from some guided meditation or my latest interest, Nidra Yoga meditative audios. Something tailored to there interest.

You can get a portable DVD player w/ mp3 playback capability for about $35 at Best Buy, then create an mp3 disc that has dozens of audio's on it.

• Like 2

Give people the gift of knowledge... let them know what you would like to get! :D Not right before a holiday, but at some point, in passing... then, right before the holiday, it will come back to them and they won't have to wrack their brains. Likewise, ask your friends and family to announce their heart's material desires -- or just pay attention when they mention a wish that is within your gift budget. It's something people tend to appreciate even more than the present -- realizing, from your gift hitting the spot, that you've been paying attention to them, that you are really seeing, hearing, holding them in your awareness. No one is 24/7 telepathic -- and everybody hates getting pajamas who never, ever wears them.

Here's a sample list of gifts both given and received by me that were pleasing to the recipient:

an antique carved jade opium bottle for an aficionado of antique jade

a miniature teapot for someone who collects them

a Mjolnir pendant for a musician who wrote a composition with this title

a hapi drum for someone pining for a hang drum (one tenth of the price but in the same vein)

a Russian ushanka (fur hat) for a teenager who mentioned he would like to wear one

a gift certificate for a hot rocks massage for someone who says "I need a massage" in response to all stressful happenings

a pair of sheepskin slippers for a suburbanite in a cold climate who mentioned he needs to replace his heater

a framed funny New Yorker cartoon involving a pirate for the host of the Talk Like A Pirate day

paraphernalia for the Japanese tea ceremony for someone who expressed a desire to explore matcha

a bottle of Remy Martin for someone who loves to add a teaspoon to coffee

• Like 2

or just pay attention when they mention a wish that is within your gift budget. It's something people tend to appreciate even more than the present

Yeah.. I often take notice, but rarely remember :blush:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this